August 2020:

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

To note: every single of those ensembles that makes Laura a hurricane takes her into Texas.

Now ask yourself - is Laura going to become a hurricane in the Gulf?

In short, I agree - westward shifts will continue.
MontgomeryCoWx

What in the Gulf would inhibit Laura from becoming a Hurricane?

I’m not seeing much.
Team #NeverSummer
ccbluewater

Heading to Freeport in about 20 mins to get stuff together, and pull boats out. Looks like the Mayor & Hidalgo are having a press conference at 1.. Depending on what happens between now and then, you may want to expedite any plans to stock up here in the Houston area if you haven't done so already.
Scott747

If Turner and Hidalgo have scheduled a presser there's a chance the NHC has already communicated an increase in the threat to the area.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Looking more and more likely that I will be putting up the storm panels this afternoon. The window to batten down the hatches continue to decrease and Laura could be a CAT 3 approaching the coast.
txbear

srainhoutx wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 am 06Z ECMWF EPS suggest another shift S and W may be possible. Worrisome tracks for a stronger Laura.
Looks like our concerns for Laura from the get go are starting to verify. And when the Euro starts to line up with the other models, that gets serious attention. Ukie has stood its ground for the most part when Laura got going (I believe HMON has as well from a broad Western solution, but would have to go back through the forum and historical model trends).

The next NHC advisory should be quite interesting. The Gulf is wide open and warm.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, the UKMET has been really good this year. You cannot discount the Euro, in most cases. The GFS and GFS Para have performed well, not like the GFS of 10-15 years ago or even 5 years. The Crazy Uncle (CMC) has had it moments...I look at the NAM, but for general weather purposes. Just my three cents. The HMON...I, well..I think it overdoes systems...the HWRF is on the road to becoming solid
Tx2005

If you need anything last minute go now. The grocery store wasn’t busy at all, just like any other day. I highly doubt the same will be true this afternoon, especially if Hidalgo is announcing something at 1.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe we will see a very informative and likely at least Watches hoisted with the 10AM full package advisory. Time is quickly running out for local/state officials regarding action plans and evacuation decisions for a possible Major Hurricane strike.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Waded

ccbluewater wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:48 am Heading to Freeport in about 20 mins to get stuff together, and pull boats out. Looks like the Mayor & Hidalgo are having a press conference at 1.. Depending on what happens between now and then, you may want to expedite any plans to stock up here in the Houston area if you haven't done so already.
That's good. If Greater Houston is under threat of a major hurricane, mobilization needs to start today at the latest.
Texashawk

FWIW, we live in Missouri City (Sienna) and though we're 40+ miles from the coast, we're still leaving. We have 2 small kids and the last time we had a hurricane this size hit (Ike) we were without power for almost a week, and we were one of the luckier ones in the neighborhood. We booked 4 nights in Austin, and they were already almost out of rooms (generic Hyatt). I would seriously advise if you're thinking about leaving to lock in reservations now - we have the option to cancel until tomorrow afternoon, so we're covered either way. Don't wait! Once it's public knowledge that the cone will be back = pandemonium will commence.

-Steve
CRASHWX

Been a while since I have been on the board....working 900 miles away while family in the line of fire is nerve racking...having to make some decisions soon. Live in Hardin County north of Beaumont. Guys I am very unsure as to what I need to do because the projected path is so uncertain. Any words of wisdom from you guys would be great. Get out...bring in a big generator...complicated by elderly family with travel issues next door. I have looked at models and data till in blue in the face and all i can surmise is the path is gonna change lol! Times like this for guys like me, this board is such a help!
:ugeek: CRASHWX :ugeek:
snowman65

Is there starting to be a general concensis that we're looking at Galveston/freeport?
davidiowx

Looks like a shift to the north and east on the NAM. But it is the NAM so take it with a few grains of salt.
mcheer23
Pro Met
Pro Met

The 10am cone was actually shifted a nudge east it looks like. :?:
Scott747

WTF?
Kingwood36

mcheer23 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:56 am The 10am cone was actually shifted a nudge east it looks like. :?:
Looks like it....i wonder why after all the models were showing west?
sambucol

I don’t get it. Euro was west. We are 48 hrs or so from landfall. Why aren’t there at least watches up??
jasons2k

mcheer23 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:56 am The 10am cone was actually shifted a nudge east it looks like. :?:
Yeah, I expected it to go a tick west, not east?
snowman65

This is one for the ages, folks....
  • Information