MAY 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TXWeatherMan

ICON spins it up pretty good this run.
Rip76

Yep
Cromagnum

What happened to hot and dry that was forecast. Looks like a washout coming for Sunday
jasons2k

I can’t keep up. When I went to bed, my rain chances for today were 40%. When I woke-up, they had been lowered down to 20%. Lots of flip-flopping with the forecast this week.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This will be everchanging all week
Cromagnum

S2K is saying upper Texas Coast or SW LA for this system.
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:10 pm S2K is saying upper Texas Coast or SW LA for this system.
Yeah if that would be the case then SETX would be left and high and dry and LA would get hammered. Still a long ways out though.
davidiowx

Cromagnum wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:10 pm S2K is saying upper Texas Coast or SW LA for this system.
Wayyyyyy to far out to even have a long shot guess and any landfall location. This could just as well die out in Mexico. Nothing is certain but if/when this emerges into the BoC, we definitely need to be paying attention.
cperk

The NHC has increased the chance of development to 40 - 60%.
Cpv17

cperk wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm The NHC has increased the chance of development to 40 - 60%.
I still see 40-50%??
cperk

Thanks Cp my bad.
Cpv17

Substantial east shift in the models today. Looking like Texas could be in the clear on this one. Well at least as of now. Models are changing all the time trying to figure this system out.
don

Yes 12z EURO shifted far to the east but the trough lifts out and a ridge quickly builds on top of the storm and pushes it towards the Texas coast, the bottom line is that were talking about 150+ hours out and we don't have a definite center of circulation yet. So don't be surprised if models flip flop more over next few days these gyre setups are really hard to forecast because you tend to have multiple vorticities competing with each other. Looks like this may be one of those systems with erratic movement due to complex steering currents. I think it is going to be a few more days before we can be sure where this goes.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-05-31 Models ECMWF Hi-Res — Pivotal Weather.png
jasons2k

don wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:58 pm Yes 12z EURO shifted far to the east but the trough lifts out and a ridge quickly builds on top of the storm and pushes it towards the Texas coast, the bottom line is that,were talking about 150+ hours out and we don't have a definite center of circulation yet. So don't be surprised if models flip flop more over next few days these gyre setups are really hard to forecast because you tend to have multiple vorticities competing with each other. Looks like this may be one of those systems with erratic movement due to complex steering currents. I think it is going to be a few more days before we can be sure where this goes.
Well said and I would second that. Also, keep in mind, that just like here, on Storm2K we have a mix of both amateurs and professionals. We do not issue forecasts. As always, follow official the guidance of the NHC.
Cpv17

don wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:58 pm Yes 12z EURO shifted far to the east but the trough lifts out and a ridge quickly builds on top of the storm and pushes it towards the Texas coast, the bottom line is that were talking about 150+ hours out and we don't have a definite center of circulation yet. So don't be surprised if models flip flop more over next few days these gyre setups are really hard to forecast because you tend to have multiple vorticities competing with each other. Looks like this may be one of those systems with erratic movement due to complex steering currents. I think it is going to be a few more days before we can be sure where this goes.
Dude that’s crazy. I wrote that at hour 168 on the Euro thinking there was no way it would bend back west like that. I thought that was headed towards Mississippi/Alabama. Guess I spoke too soon.
cperk

Cpv17 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:48 pm Substantial east shift in the models today. Looking like Texas could be in the clear on this one. Well at least as of now. Models are changing all the time trying to figure this system out.
Texas is not in the clear.
Cpv17

cperk wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:27 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:48 pm Substantial east shift in the models today. Looking like Texas could be in the clear on this one. Well at least as of now. Models are changing all the time trying to figure this system out.
Texas is not in the clear.
Yeah it’s early. We’ll know more in a few days. I was just speaking as of now from what the models were showing before I saw the hard left turn on the Euro. My bad!!
snowman65

already has a name. we'll never survive this season....
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

It might be time to move discussions for the potential Atlantic Basin tropical disturbance to the June thread since we will be done with May tonight?
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

I was hoping for a little shower from that band that started to from along US 59 up towards Porter, but as quickly as it started to go-up, it started falling apart,
  • Information