January 2020: Unsettled WX Week Ahead

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Man I am so sorry for your loss MontgomeryCoWx. Just goes to show why we put out information and update when weather worries come our way. I have been reading some of the reports from overnight and I have seen a couple of "bust" and overhyped comments, but fortunately those are few and far between.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
snowman65

Hate to hear that news Montgomery. Hard day's ahead but glad your home and family are safe.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So very sorry MontgomeryCoWx for the loss but also very glad you and your family are ok.
BlueJay

Terribly sad news to hear Montgomery.CoWx. I wish your family well.
don

Im so sorry to hear that MontgomeryCoWx. Im glad you and your family are ok.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thankfully the squall line was a non-event in my local area with winds gusting between 20-30MPH and Travis Herzog made a great post regarding a non-event that we can all relate to:

I will never understand why some people complain when they don’t get hit by the worst part of a storm. I’m sure the others
around you who are picking up the pieces today from tornadoes and high winds would gladly trade you places.

The complainers need be thankful if they get a non-event when a significant potential exists. Back to weather.....looks like tomorrow will be another nice day before rain chances arrive next week.
Cromagnum

So now the model flipflop watching to see if we get cold in a little over a week.
kyzsl51

Hate to hear that Montgomery...wishing you and your family the best.
MontgomeryCoWx

Thank you all. I was able to clear most of the tree debris and hook the horse up to the tractor and get him to the driveway.

Waller Equine is supposedly picking him up today.

I’m not going to touch the barn yet until insurance arrives tomorrow .
Team #NeverSummer
cperk

Montgomery i am sorry to hear about what happened.
msc7363

I’m so sorry for you and your family, Montgomerycowx. :cry:
harp

….and the GFS once again doesn't remember that it's January....
snowman65

Cromagnum wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:21 pm So now the model flipflop watching to see if we get cold in a little over a week.
nothing big. Typical "all bark, no bite". Everything is sliding east this year.
jasons2k

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:08 pm Thank you all. I was able to clear most of the tree debris and hook the horse up to the tractor and get him to the driveway.

Waller Equine is supposedly picking him up today.

I’m not going to touch the barn yet until insurance arrives tomorrow .
I am so sorry for your loss and this terrible news! Your family will be in our prayers!
unome

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 am We had a tragedy at the house. We were under the tornado warned cell in Magnolia and our barn was destroyed and my boys new horse (Christmas present) was killed in the storm.

150 yards to the SW and our house would have taken the brunt of that wind.

Hard coming back in and telling your 7 and 4 year old their horse is dead 2 weeks after our 15 year old dog passed.
Just heartbreaking MontgomeryCoWx :cry: Wishing for comfort & peace for your & yours - hugs to those kiddos
Last edited by unome on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingwood36

snowman65 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:21 pm So now the model flipflop watching to see if we get cold in a little over a week.
Wasnt there suppose to be a change that would allow us to have cold air come down?
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 am We had a tragedy at the house. We were under the tornado warned cell in Magnolia and our barn was destroyed and my boys new horse (Christmas present) was killed in the storm.

150 yards to the SW and our house would have taken the brunt of that wind.

Hard coming back in and telling your 7 and 4 year old their horse is dead 2 weeks after our 15 year old dog passed.
So sorry to hear. Those storms packed a punch. My best wishes.
DoctorMu

The hook echo near Caldwell last night was confirmed an an EF-1 tornado today. Barns, trailer damage, trees down.
unome

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:55 pm The hook echo near Caldwell last night was confirmed an an EF-1 tornado today. Barns, trailer damage, trees down.
updated LSRs - anyone with damage should report it so it's documented for this event

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/lsr/# ... 20559/0100
snowman65

Kingwood36 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 pm
snowman65 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm
Wasnt there suppose to be a change that would allow us to have cold air come down?
This winter the models have only been a tease, nothing more. I can't recall the last time they were so wrong with model runs outside of 5 days for the entire winter season. I dont see anything else happening for cold weather this year. Hopefully next year will be better.
  • Information