September 2019 - Warm End of September

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cromagnum

Way too early to make a call on recurve back to sea potential. The GFS is underdoing the ridging to expose an early weakness while other models like the EURO and ICON see a stronger ridge. Still gonna be a battle for a couple more days sadly.
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This hurricane reminds me of the 2004 season over on the east coast of FL. Vero got slammed by Frances and Jeanne! Watching from Denver ...
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
Scott747

Overall the model runs have started zeroing in on a lessening threat to the ngom the last 24 hrs.

There were a few hints though to not fully take the ngom out of play. Operational 12z Ukie takes Dorian across fla and to the ne gulf along with the HWRF and a small cluster of the Euro ensembles.

Otherwise most all the globals and ensembles show the main threat away from the gulf.
cperk

A just saw a OCM on MSNBC and he indicated that they really don't know where Dorian will make landfall yet or if it will at all.The models are giving them fits 3 days out and that's a little scary.No watches or warnings have been issued yet nor have any evacuations.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really couldn't care less what media and WxTwitter/social media has to say about Dorian. These days there is always an agenda to push it seems. The older I get, the more I rely on my own intuition regarding sensible weather forecasts.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Scott747

Small trend to the w with the early suite of 18z runs.
Scott747

I hear ya about the media. Especially the national networks. I threw it on CNN yesterday curious how they were covering it and they had a panel with talking points which were focused on the impending impact on Puerto Rico by a major hurricane.

Problem was Dorian was already pulling away from the island after missing it to the e.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

One guy I do follow always provides important historical facts.

Philip Klotzbach
@philklotzbach
September continental US #hurricane landfall locations since 1851. 39 out of the 121 September continental US hurricane landfalls have been in Florida. #HurricaneDorian
Attachments
EDK8a58U4AMaqsE.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Texaspirate11

All I gotta hear is "not texas" and I'm good. Although I love the tracking part.
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Cpv17

Texaspirate11 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:15 pm All I gotta hear is "not texas" and I'm good. Although I love the tracking part.
They are really fun track even though I lose out on sleep staying up late for the 0z runs lol it’s worth it.
Scott747

Still further shifts on the 18z runs.

The hurricane model HMON which is often referred to in the discos is taking Dorian across the Florida straits.
Cpv17

Scott747 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:15 pm Still further shifts on the 18z runs.

The hurricane model HMON which is often referred to in the discos is taking Dorian across the Florida straits.
Florida Straits wouldn’t surprise me a bit.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the current track looks pretty reasonable based on model data and the projected evolution of the ridge over the Western Atlantic. The far Northeast Gulf could be under threat but anything west of that I have trouble seeing right now. Also, keep an eye on the mid-level vorticity that will cross the southern half of the Gulf. More models are indicating some minor development could occur.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Rip76

Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm Also, keep an eye on the mid-level vorticity that will cross the southern half of the Gulf. More models are indicating some minor development could occur.
I’ve noticed this.
Kingwood36

Rip76 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm
Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm Also, keep an eye on the mid-level vorticity that will cross the southern half of the Gulf. More models are indicating some minor development could occur.
I’ve noticed this.
When would this be?
Rip76

Kingwood36

Looks to go in to lousiana whatever it is
DoctorMu

GFS. Euro, CMC have Dorian blowing through Mar-a-Lago:

[Write your own paper towel joke here]
Cpv17

Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm I think the current track looks pretty reasonable based on model data and the projected evolution of the ridge over the Western Atlantic. The far Northeast Gulf could be under threat but anything west of that I have trouble seeing right now. Also, keep an eye on the mid-level vorticity that will cross the southern half of the Gulf. More models are indicating some minor development could occur.
The Euro takes this into Mexico. I don’t think we’ll see much of anything in SETX from it.
Scott747

Whoa. The ridging on the 0z GFS...
  • Information