March 2019: Strong Front/Rain Chance To End March

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
mckinne63

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:50 pm
jasons wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:48 pm Front is through. Party over up here. Ground barely got wet. Next...
I have no idea why they had rain chances so high today.
No front here yet. Still warm and muggy. Had a brief heavy shower in SW Houston around 12:30pm. Than some light rain about a half hour ago. Nothing to write home about.
jasons2k

jasons wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:48 pm Front is through. Party over up here. Ground barely got wet. Next...
It will verify. You only need a trace of rain to check the box. I got .27” so that’s more than enough to say it rained.

I wonder how many pounds of pollen are about to wash into Galveston bay.

Edited: I had .27” not .37”
Last edited by jasons2k on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDsGN

We got almost a half inch in cypress. My current temp is way lower than what any of my weather apps are calling for. 57 and supposedly rising later?
mckinne63

jasons wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm
It will verify. You only need a trace of rain to check the box. I got .37” so that’s more than enough to say it rained.

I wonder how many pounds of pollen are about to wash into Galveston bay.
Glad I decided to wash the car today. Pollen will probably be back on the car in the morning. I was telling myself it's going to rain, it's going to rain. But I could barely see out of the back window, needed gas anyways, might as well rinse the car off.

And yeah, they did say 80% chance, so we got a "little" bit of rain, it is verified. ;)
mckinne63

JDsGN wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:38 pm We got almost a half inch in cypress. My current temp is way lower than what any of my weather apps are calling for. 57 and supposedly rising later?
Send that 57 down here to Stafford please!
jasons2k

Yeah, it's 61 here and slowly rising. Weather.com shows 70 by 10PM.
unome

looking at TX temps, it's risen to 90 at Alice :shock:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/times ... aw=0&w=325

95 in Zapata https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/times ... aw=0&w=325

too early for those temps for my taste https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/
jasons2k

Dang - it's up to 71 now. I guess the initial front washed-out, and now we await the 'real' front tomorrow.
TXWeatherMan

That line sure did pop up fast near Dallas
Cpv17

Interesting line of storms up to our NW headed this way. Intense rainfall for sure. Was not expecting to see that on the radar during the middle of the night.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cooler and drier air is filtering South behind the band of showers this morning. A stronger 850mb cold front is advancing South from N Texas and should arrive later today bringing some additional cooler and drier air for tonight into the Weekend. I emptied 0.63 of an inch from the gauge and the pollen seems to have washed away. Get out and enjoy the weather the next few days. That noisy sub tropical jet looks to bring a series of disturbances through our Region keeping some mid and high level clouds overhead and a chance of some rain closer to the Coast and offshore. No significant rain chances throughout the next 7 days.

Our next weather maker does show up in the extended range and may offer another severe weather episode toward the last week of March.
Attachments
03142019 12Z Surface Chart namussfc12wbg.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 am Interesting line of storms up to our NW headed this way. Intense rainfall for sure. Was not expecting to see that on the radar during the middle of the night.
Yes, something changed on yesterday. We were supposed to get a squall line with a cold front, stalling near the coast, and then a push of colder air today to clear us out. Simple and straightforward.

Then yesterday, almost changing in real-time, front comes through with squall line, we cool into the 50’s, then front washes out with rising temperatures last night (that wasn’t expected), followed by another frontal push with storms this morning (again, never mentioned until last night), and then we do finally get the colder push today with the 850mb front. I thought, maybe I was losing it, but I went back and re-read Jeff’s emails and the NWS discussions, and I can’t find anything mentioning the initial front washing out and then another round of storms Thur AM. Crazy.
BlueJay

jasons wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am
Cpv17 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 am Interesting line of storms up to our NW headed this way. Intense rainfall for sure. Was not expecting to see that on the radar during the middle of the night.
Yes, something changed on yesterday. We were supposed to get a squall line with a cold front, stalling near the coast, and then a push of colder air today to clear us out. Simple and straightforward.

Then yesterday, almost changing in real-time, front comes through with squall line, we cool into the 50’s, then front washes out with rising temperatures last night (that wasn’t expected), followed by another frontal push with storms this morning (again, never mentioned until last night), and then we do finally get the colder push today with the 850mb front. I thought, maybe I was losing it, but I went back and re-read Jeff’s emails and the NWS discussions, and I can’t find anything mentioning the initial front washing out and then another round of storms Thur AM. Crazy.

On KHOU, Chita and Blake reported that this would happen. They were pretty dead on with the timing also.
jasons2k

BlueJay wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 am
jasons wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am

On KHOU, Chita and Blake reported that this would happen. They were pretty dead on with the timing also.
That's awesome!! I was surprised. Maybe I should watch KHOU more :lol:

Nice few days ahead! Enjoy it everyone!
DoctorMu

TG! DRY AIR at last in the Brazos Valley! Low dewpoints for the next week. The weeds are out of control, despite pre-emergence treatment. Am scalping the front lawn late this afternoon. Will have to raise the mower just to handle the back.

One of our yellow labs loves to roll on newly cut lawns. Her back will be green again for St. Patrick's Day!

A puzzling yellow orb is out in the sky this afternoon - enjoy this fine weather while it lasts!! Severe season and summer lurk in our future.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What a complicated start to meteorological Spring we've already had... yet the season has yet to officially begin.
Dixie Alley has lived up to its name so far the last few weeks. Even a confirmed large tornado hit just SW of Flint, MI earlier this evening. This 'bomb cyclone' meant business.

Unfortunately what was looking like a beautiful weekend earlier this week doesn't look quite as beautiful anymore. The front looks to stall closer to the coast than being pushed out further into the Gulf as models once indicated. Along the stationary front, a couple shortwave troughs will move through along the active SW flow throughout the weekend. Models have generally been keeping the bulk of the precipitation offshore, though recent runs are hinting that the precip may be closer to the coast/south of I-10. Tomorrow may be wetter than is being advertised, especially near the late afternoon and evening.

Hopefully Sunday we can squeeze out a decent day with a bit of sunshine.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
Cpv17

Belmer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 pm What a complicated start to meteorological Spring we've already had... yet the season has yet to officially begin.
Dixie Alley has lived up to its name so far the last few weeks. Even a confirmed large tornado hit just SW of Flint, MI earlier this evening. This 'bomb cyclone' meant business.

Unfortunately what was looking like a beautiful weekend earlier this week doesn't look quite as beautiful anymore. The front looks to stall closer to the coast than being pushed out further into the Gulf as models once indicated. Along the stationary front, a couple shortwave troughs will move through along the active SW flow throughout the weekend. Models have generally been keeping the bulk of the precipitation offshore, though recent runs are hinting that the precip may be closer to the coast/south of I-10. Tomorrow may be wetter than is being advertised, especially near the late afternoon and evening.

Hopefully Sunday we can squeeze out a decent day with a bit of sunshine.
These fronts are giving forecasters fits the past couple weeks. I don’t ever recall it being this bad.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 pm These fronts are giving forecasters fits the past couple weeks. I don’t ever recall it being this bad.
Agreed - I have a few friends/connections that work at some NWS offices across the country and we've been discussing how complicated the past 3-4 months have been across much of the U.S., not just down here.

Mother Nature will do what Mother Nature wants to do. :roll:
Blake
Boomer Sooner
unome

NWS Omaha evacuated due to flooding, radar temporarily off - hope everyone stays safe
NWS Hastings is backing up NWS Omaha. We will do the best we can to continue the flow of information. Please bear with us.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-03-1 ... st-impacts
https://www.weather.gov/oax/
https://twitter.com/NWSOmaha
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NWSOmaha/posts
https://twitter.com/iembot_oax
https://water.weather.gov/ahps/?current ... fresh=true

Cpv17

Models are starting to trend wet for next weekend. Could be our next big rainmaker.
  • Information