JUNE 2018: Drying Trend & Summer Heat Returns

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

jasons wrote:Some of the trends today are concerning. The MLC appears to be moving very slowly NNW. The latest Euro dumps the most rain roughly between the Houston & Austin areas and back down to the coast, with a few pockets of 12"+ over the next 48 hours.

At this point, it's not much different than a decaying tropical cyclone trapped over land.
Jason,

From a purely amateur point of view ( mine), that "can" be a dangerous situation. I said, can...just my opinion....
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're getting pounded in NW Harris County. Easily 2 inch per hour rainfall rates.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cromagnum

Stick a fork in it for areas south and Southwest of Houston. Looks like I'll be dragging out the GD water hose for yet another weekend.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jeff Lindner update
sau27

Looking at GOES IR it appears convective bursts are working their way from SW to NE into Harris county. Additionally I believe the band that has been tormenting Beaumont has been robbing moisture inflow into our area and has been part of the reason we have remained relatively dry in the metro area. As that band slides off to the east and weakens a bit it opens the door for some more moist inflow into our area. Based on that and radar trends it looks like this may finally be the turning point where we start to get wet. Well see if this lasts or if it fades again.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cromagnum wrote:Stick a fork in it for areas south and Southwest of Houston. Looks like I'll be dragging out the GD water hose for yet another weekend.
Be careful what you wish for and this event is far from over...stay tuned...
Texaspirate11

Not to bad by the bay....rains are on and off
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
BlueJay

We are getting pounded too. Montgomery County isn't on the Flood Watch/Warning list...?
jojotheidiotclown

Strange comments in this forum. The rain is not worth another flood. Not sure why anyone would be disappointed in not getting flooded again.
uhcoog05

Cromagnum wrote:Stick a fork in it for areas south and Southwest of Houston. Looks like I'll be dragging out the GD water hose for yet another weekend.
I'd glady drag out the GD hose than be in the Golden Triangle taking on water. Surprising how insensitive some are after most of us went through Harvey.
unome

srainhoutx wrote:We're getting pounded in NW Harris County. Easily 2 inch per hour rainfall rates.
we just had a crazy heavy rain here & radar didn't even look all that bad - is this because the atmosphere is saturated in the upper levels? looking for your expert opinion

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid ... R&loop=yes

it really surprised me, I guess that "one cell" above us can just bottom out, just have not seen this in a while. we had over 30 inches in Harvey & never flooded (lucky) yet an incompetent plumber managed to flood 2 rooms earlier this year :(
jasons2k

As a quick aside, if you have friends or family in Colorado, they are getting pounded up there today:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/cowx?src=hash
unome

jasons wrote:As a quick aside, if you have friends or family in Colorado, they are getting pounded up there today:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/cowx?src=hash
the craziest hail I've ever seen was when I lived in CO, outside Denver - like grapefruit sized hail. On the up-side, I hope the fires around Durango were helped by their rain today, not sure if it got some?
unome

well said, Stu: https://twitter.com/StuOstro/status/1008800323333476353
@StuOstro Jun 18
The distinction between this and a tropical cyclone is academic: Lack of well-defined center of circulation at surface (is one aloft) & well-developed warm core. But o/w like a slow-moving TD: Torrential rain w/#flood threat, gusty squalls, choppy seas & rip currents. #txwx #lawx

and this! https://twitter.com/StuOstro/status/1009148960995463168
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm seeing rainfall reports across Harris County ranging from a bit under an inch over the past 2 days to near 4.5 inches. I've measured about 1.5 inches since last Friday in SW Houston (Westbury - just south of Brays Bayou near Hillcroft). More rain coming the rest of this week.
JDsGN

uhcoog05 wrote:
I'd glady drag out the GD hose than be in the Golden Triangle taking on water. Surprising how insensitive some are after most of us went through Harvey.
Hoping for 6-7" of rain over a 3-4 day spread is completely different than hoping for a flood. Nobody was hoping for 10+ in a day like Beaumont and the surrounding area just received, at least that's not how I'm reading it. Droughts can be extremely dangerous and this system has potential to stave that off for the time being.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Up around my area we are on track for those 3-5 inch totals. Concerning over the Katy and Beaumont areas where training has and continue to occur. Should see rain chances last until late this week when weak ridging tries to take control.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
stormlover

Seems like Beaumont area will get more tonight is that right Andrew ?
Cromagnum

uhcoog05 wrote:
This is hardly a Harvey situation for one. Secondly, my area has not had meaningful rain since early April, save for a bad storm that blew everyone's fence down. It's not fun to have clay soil pulled 1-2 inches from your foundation, fences leaning because the soil shriveled from it, and trees and lawn all trying to die.
  • Information