JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are now in the HRRR experimental range. Along with Tech-WRF and some other mesoscale models, we could see moisture lingering around the region until late afternoon/overnight on Tuesday. Furthermore, mesoscale models including the NAM, Tech-WRF, and HRRR indicate most of SE Texas may not get above freezing on Tuesday for more than a couple hours.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
stormlover

What euro show
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

stormlover wrote:What euro show
EURO show heavier snow across central and East/Southeast Texas but doesn't make it as far south. Shows a dusting of ice/snow I-10 and north.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The WFR experimental suggests widespread 2 inch amounts with some isolated totals near or above 3 inches of sleet/snow on top of some freezing rain from early Tuesday morning. That HRRRX image that Andrew posted is 'hinting' some potential banding features from hour 30 near Austin/College Station moving SE toward our Northern and Western suburbs right at the beginning of the Tuesday afternoon rush hour. Place yourself in the forecasting chair right now and what would your call be? Winter Weather Advisory versus a Winter Storm Watch? I'd go with the stronger wording due to the potential impacts to travel during the day, afternoon and evening. But that's just me.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
WeatherDuck

I see that the NWS has recently issued a Winter Storm Warning for the counties just north and east of my location.

Is it just a matter of time for a warning to be issued for the Austin area?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

A closer inspection of the 12km 06Z NAM suggests temperatures in the mid to upper 20' Tuesday afternoon with wintry precipitation falling. Wind chill reading suggest feel like temperatures could be in the low teens, possibly in the single digit territory.
Attachments
wrf-arw2_T2m_scus_43.png
wrf-arw2_ref_frzn_scus_42.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Both 06Z for GFS and NAM are a lot more aggressive with coverage across all of the CWA. Looking like confidence is slowly building and at least an advisory should be issued.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:A closer inspection of the 12km 06Z NAM suggests temperatures in the mid to upper 20' Tuesday afternoon with wintry precipitation falling. Wind chill reading suggest feel like temperatures could be in the low teens, possibly in the single digit territory.
Especially with wind gusts of 20-25mph across the region on Tuesday (especially to the west and northwest).
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

I agree with Srain on the stronger wording, especially if temps are what's suggested. It only takes a tiny bit of freezing rain, sleet/snow on roadways to create a traveling nightmare, and a dangerous one at that. I get off duty at 0800 hours Tuesday morning and don't have to return until 0000 Friday. Thankfully, it appears most of my travels will be safe and I won't have to be out in that madness. I hope employers are paying very close attention to the weather and non-essential employees are given the day off. Of course it's too early to make that call.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter Weather Advisory issued for all of SE Texas including Coastal tier of Counties. I suspect if trends continue to support increased precipitation and much colder temperatures with the 12Z package of guidance, an Upgrade may be forthcoming.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter Storm Warning issued for all of the NWS San Antonio/Austin forecast Area. Also HGX mentioning Upgrade to Winter Storm Watch/Warning is possible later in the day or tonight.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cromagnum

Great. I am training visitors from out of country this week and it is looking like we will easily lose 1-2 days out of only 5 that I have. :|
ticka1

scenarios i am seeing show thta south of i=10 will only see cold rain?
cperk

ticka1 wrote:scenarios i am seeing show thta south of i=10 will only see cold rain?

Care to elaborate because the 6OZ GFS shows something different.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:scenarios i am seeing show thta south of i=10 will only see cold rain?
Models tonight are showing moisture may stick around long enough to even reach the coast. More north you get though, better your chances are.
MontgomeryCoWx

Wooooo, within 24 hours of a Winter Storm and temps in the 20s!

Those short term models are making my mouth water.
Team #NeverSummer
snowman65

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Wooooo, within 24 hours of a Winter Storm and temps in the 20s!

What are you seeing? Anything look interesting for the golden triangle?
ticka1

cperk wrote:

Care to elaborate because the 6OZ GFS shows something different.
not arguing but what i was seeing from my undeucated eye is cold rain- is it different?
MontgomeryCoWx

snowman65 wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Wooooo, within 24 hours of a Winter Storm and temps in the 20s!

What are you seeing? Anything look interesting for the golden triangle?
Few of the short term models show a dusting of snow and ice.
Team #NeverSummer
stormlover

No, nam,Gfs,euro, all shows frozen Precip
  • Information