JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

Looks overall pretty seasonable to mid January. Maybe a light freeze or two then per CMC and GFS. Cold and precept are just out of sync...but we have 12-14 days to let sort out.

No complaints. Running a natural gas furnace is a LOT CHEAPER than A/C. The sun is out again today, for two nice days in a row.
Ounce

When Harvey was 40 miles off the coast of Rockport, the center of Low pressure measured 940mb.

I looked at the Boston NWS Forecast Discussion for their Nor'easter and copied this:

515 PM update...

*** Snow Ends 5-8pm But Considerable Blow and Drifting Snow
Continues ***

Surface Analysis...

Satellite and buoy observations confirm powerful occluded
cyclone now exiting Georges Bank and heading into the Gulf of
Maine. Despite center of circulation passing east of Nantucket
Shoals buoy 44008 a few hours ago, it measured a pressure of 957
mb! Very impressive for this latitude.
Very strong winds
continue to be observed on the backside of this system with
Nantucket airport currently gusting to 51 kt/59 mph. Winds of
this magnitude will continue until about 7 pm, then very slowly
lessening but still remaining very windy. Rain-snow line still
hovering over mid Cape to Nantucket, but dry slot has overspread
this area so not much precip at the moment over this region.

So, is it 'easier' for a Low pressure to get stronger in latitudes of, say, 30 and lower than up in the Northeast?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

A weak shortwave is generating some light sprinkles this morning and should move out later this morning making way for a nice Saturday with warmer temperatures. Another disturbance and attending cold front arrives early Monday bringing a chance of rain and possibly some elevated storms as the front pushes through. The best chance for heavier rainfall looks to be to our East across Louisiana and Mississippi. The fast progressive zonal pattern should bring another front through our Region next Thursday.
Attachments
01052018 Day 3 SPC day3otlk_0830.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
BlueJay

It is nice to thaw out for a while.
jasons2k

What a beautiful day! Nice to have the kids playing outside again, too!
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Glad I am finally getting over this dang head cold.

Temps currently in the low 70s along the Upper TX Coast. Its feeling like a Spring day and the SPC has a marginal risk of severe thunderstorms across the Middle and Upper TX Coast night ahead of the next cold front. The front will cool SE TX down a little with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s through mid week.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 1.12.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 1.12.53 PM.png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
unome

small hail here, smaller than pea size - rain sure feels nice though & the clean air
snowman65

OK, I'm ready for the next arctic blast...sorry...lol
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

snowman65 wrote:OK, I'm ready for the next arctic blast...sorry...lol
Odd, I was just wishing for Spring and warmth.
MontgomeryCoWx

No extended thaw coming per long range. For the first time since 13/14, we are going to have a FULL winter!

Now if we can get a 3-6 inch accumulating snow storm that shuts down schools, I’d be happy and then y’all can have your Spring.
Team #NeverSummer
christinac2016

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:No extended thaw coming per long range. For the first time since 13/14, we are going to have a FULL winter!

Now if we can get a 3-6 inch accumulating snow storm that shuts down schools, I’d be happy and then y’all can have your Spring.
That should make my mom happy. I've added a few minutes to getting up to walk so I can layer / bundle up. I'd like to see some more snow as long as I can stay inside where it's warm. What are you seeing in the long range?
MontgomeryCoWx

christinac2016 wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:No extended thaw coming per long range. For the first time since 13/14, we are going to have a FULL winter!

That should make my mom happy. I've added a few minutes to getting up to walk so I can layer / bundle up. I'd like to see some more snow as long as I can stay inside where it's warm. What are you seeing in the long range?
The weeklies show a pattern that stays chilly into February. It's amazing that this pattern completely flipped from the last two winters. Last 2 years the cold was always a week or two out. Now, the warmth is a week or two out, and never quite verifies outside of a seasonal day or three here and there.

January should finish below normal.
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

So. Sick. Of. Cold. And. Gray. Skies.

That is all.
stormlover

wait till this weekend cold again and next week mid week looks rainy and cold
sambucol

How cold here from the next front?
stormlover

CMC shows frozen stuff close, euro just rain and gfs rain
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

Man, I hated that winter. I was in it every day directing traffic near a school in Pearland, but not for Pearland I.S.D., at 7:30 AM every school morning. That was torturous to stand in that cold for an hour and a half a day.
While a good snow would be interesting, anything that messes with my traction on the roadways to and from work doesn't appeal to me, and I have to drive over two bridges. The world does revolve around schools and universities, but I have to go in even when the kids and other staff don't.
TexasBreeze

jasons wrote:So. Sick. Of. Cold. And. Gray. Skies.

That is all.
Yeah it gets old after awhile. The storms the other night was good, but the cold cloudy days are too much. 1 half day of sun is not enough. The forecast seems to have busted today considering the cloud bank is not shifting out of the area before sunset.
jasons2k

TexasBreeze wrote:
jasons wrote:So. Sick. Of. Cold. And. Gray. Skies.

That is all.
Yeah it gets old after awhile. The storms the other night was good, but the cold cloudy days are too much. 1 half day of sun is not enough. The forecast seems to have busted today considering the cloud bank is not shifting out of the area before sunset.
Yes, the holidays are done, so bring on spring! Last weekend was such a welcome reprieve and the storms were just awesome. This constant dreary cold is pretty much torture for an outdoor lover like myself. I'm ready to get outside and do some re-planting. I want my 70's back.
ticka1

love we are having a winter. Give us 10 more weeks and yall will get your dreadful humidity and heat back.
  • Information