August 2017: Looking Back at Harvey 5 Year Later

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stormrider

Given the timimg of a potential landfall and low forecast confidence, do you think NHC will issue a Potential Tropical Cyclone Formation Advisory today?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

tireman4 wrote:
tireman4 wrote:When is recon going in there, after it leaves the Yucatan, I presume?

Ok, I have answered my own question and I think Srain alluded to this earlier..sorry...

On Wednesday morning the first mission in BOC but on Tuesday the Gulfstream jet will be up.

CODE: SELECT ALL
EMNANTS OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION HARVEY
FLIGHT ONE -- NOAA 49 FLIGHT TWO -- TEAL 71
A. 23/0000Z A. 23/1200Z
B NOAA9 0609A HARVEY B. AFXXX 0709A HARVEY
C. 22/1730Z C. 23/0900Z
D. NA D. 20.0N 92.0W
E. NA E. 23/1130Z TO 23/1430Z
F. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY:
A. 6-HRLY FIXES ON HARVEY IF SYSTEM REGENERATES.

That's the NOAA G-IV High Altitude Sampling mission this evening. That data will likely assist the guidance regarding the Upper Air Pattern/Features ahead of Harvey. Low Level Operations will commence once it enters the Southern Gulf/BoC.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Understood. This gives the folks an update on what is going on now and days ahead. Thank you for the update. We appreciate it.
sau27

Stormrider wrote:Given the timimg of a potential landfall and low forecast confidence, do you think NHC will issue a Potential Tropical Cyclone Formation Advisory today?
My guess would be they would wait until it re-emerges over water tonight or tomorrow morning to see where the "center" winds up. I could be wrong though.
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BiggieSmalls wrote:Fair enough, I've seen chatter on this board and via certain twitter follows over the last few days....it just seems that a tropical storm hitting Texas in 3-4 days isn't something most Texans have considered as a distinct possibility until, well, today. Can't control what the "mainstream media" chooses to focus on I guess..
It's the state of the science. Until yesterday, models were sending this into Mexico. That said, it hasn't formed. There's no guarantee of anything more than rain -- until there is. This is a computer model hurricane. Until a center develops -- a closed low -- there's no storm to track or forecast.

30yrs ago there'd be no forecast even today. It would be a 48hr surprise. At least today we get 72hrs warning. :)

A recent example of a short-fuse hurricane is Humberto in 2007. Look that up on a Wikipedia.
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Florida State University Experimental TC Genesis Probabilities (Consensus) suggest 100% chance a Tropical Cyclone will form in the Western Gulf.
Attachments
08222017 00Z FSU CON48NATL_latest.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

12z Surface Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just Updated from Carcah/NHC regarding future RECON Missions to investigate Harvey. A lot of assets being thrown at this Storm...

Code: Select all

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1115 AM EDT TUE 22 AUGUST 2017
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
         VALID 23/1100Z TO 24/1100Z AUGUST 2017
         TCPOD NUMBER.....17-083

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
    1. REMNANTS OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION HARVEY
       FLIGHT ONE -- NOAA 42         FLIGHT TWO -- N0AA 49
       A. 23/1800Z                   A. 24/0000Z
       B  NOAA2 0809A HARVEY         B. NOAA9 0909A HARVEY
       C. 23/1400Z                   C. 23/1730Z
       D. 22.2N 92.8W                D. NA
       E. 23/1600Z TO 23/2130Z       E. NA
       F. SFC TO 10,000 FT           F. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT

FLIGHT THREE -- TEAL 71       FLIGHT FOUR -- NOAA 42
       A. 23/2330Z,24/0530Z          A. 24/0600Z
       B  AFXXX 1009A HARVEY         B. NOAA2 1109A HARVEY
       C. 23/2115Z                   C. 24/0200Z
       D. 22.7N 93.2W                D. 23.2N 93.6W
       E. 23/2300Z TO 24/0530Z       E. 24/0400Z TO 24/0730Z
       F. SFC TO 15,000 FT           F. SFC TO 15,000 FT

FLIGHT FIVE -- NOAA 49        FLIGHT SIX --  TEAL 72
       A. 24/1200Z                   A. 24/1130Z,1730Z
       B. NOAA9 1209A HARVEY         B. AFXXX 1309A HARVEY
       C. 24/0530Z                   C. 24/0945Z
       D. NA                         D. 23.8N 94.1W
       E. NA                         E. 24/1100Z TO 24/1730Z
       F. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT        F. SFC TO 15,000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY:
       A. POSSIBLE 3-HRLY FIXES STARTING AT 24/2100Z
       B. A P-3 MISSION FOR 24/1800Z

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Texaspirate11

brooksgarner wrote:
BiggieSmalls wrote:Fair enough, I've seen chatter on this board and via certain twitter follows over the last few days....it just seems that a tropical storm hitting Texas in 3-4 days isn't something most Texans have considered as a distinct possibility until, well, today. Can't control what the "mainstream media" chooses to focus on I guess..
It's the state of the science. Until yesterday, models were sending this into Mexico. That said, it hasn't formed. There's no guarantee of anything more than rain -- until there is. This is a computer model hurricane. Until a center develops -- a closed low -- there's no storm to track or forecast.

30yrs ago there'd be no forecast even today. It would be a 48hr surprise. At least today we get 72hrs warning. :)

A recent example of a short-fuse hurricane is Humberto in 2007. Look that up on a Wikipedia.

Brooks - we lived thru Humberto - thank you.
We don't like surprises in this neck of the woods....
Last edited by Texaspirate11 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Texaspirate11 wrote:
brooksgarner wrote:

Brooks - we lived thru Humberto - thank you.
We don't like surprises in this neck of the woods....
Yes, I'm sure you and many others were here in southeast Texas for that one. (I was in South Carolina, watching from my sunny perch.) Computer models are such a blessing... and a curse. Humberto was a great example of one missed by the models, reminiscent of times before computer modelling. At least with Harvey (thanks entirely to models) we have a good hunch that we're going to see something develop beyond, "scattered weekend downpours."
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
Rip76

GFS a little further south and west through 66hr.

Near Brownsville.
TexasBreeze

Incredible flood threat from this run. Not good. Has it going inland just south of Matagorda Bay, stalling then approaching coast again just west of our HGX county area. Weaker by 20 mb's though.

Hour 150 by Galveston...
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, as has been discussed before, we do not have a center yet, so the models are basing off of, well scattered remnants, I believe ( The pros can correct me if I am wrong). Depending on where, when and how he comes off the peninsula will be a determinant in where he goes. Gonzo ( the Gulfstream Aircraft) will be sampling at the high altitudes and recon at the low altitudes will be in tomorrow. I think we will really start to see things shape up in that sense.
stormlover

Would be catastrophic flooding in south east Texas
unome

until it's on NHC's page, their Marine Forecast area seems to be updating regularly & with GOES-16, tracking's a joy compared even to Humberto's time, let alone the days of Andrew or Alicia

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/ or http://www.hurricanes.gov/marine

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/abouttafbprod.shtml

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/forecast ... .php?large
Rip76

The HMON model has shifted southward into Mexico.
unome

from Jeff Masters' bloh https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/ex-ha ... aten-texas

Forecast for ex-Harvey

SSTs will increase to 30°C (86°F) as ex-Harvey moves to the northwest towards Texas this week. The wind shear will stay light, and the atmosphere will remain moist. These conditions should allow ex-Harvey to regenerate into at least a tropical storm before it makes landfall on Friday, and it may be able to reach hurricane strength. The 0Z Tuesday operational runs of our three reliable global models for predicting tropical cyclone genesis—the GFS, European and UKMET models—all developed the system would develop into a tropical storm or hurricane, and all of these models showed a landfall between the Mexico/Texas border and the central coast of Texas on Friday. The NOAA jet is flying a dropsonde mission over the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday evening to help the models make good forecasts for their 0Z Wednesday runs. In its tropical weather outlook issued at 8 am EDT Tuesday, the National Hurricane Center gave ex-Harvey 2-day and 5-day odds of development of 70% and 90%, respectively. Regardless of development, coastal Texas can expect heavy rains in excess of five inches late this week
TexasBreeze

Starting to fire storms on its nw side. It actually looks like it won't take much time to get more organized once it pulls away from land.
Rip76

TexasBreeze wrote:Starting to fire storms on its nw side. It actually looks like it won't take much time to get more organized once it pulls away from land.
Yep.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Worrisome to see the 12Z GFS Precipitation totals for 168 hours.
Attachments
08222017 12Z 168 gfs_apcpn_scus_28.png

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information