December 2015 -Year Ends As One Of Wettest On Record

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
cperk

I apologize for getting off topic,but does anyone have any knowledge of the Davis vantage vue weather station.I'm considering purchasing one,any feedback would be appreciated.
JamieP

I know we're a little under 2 weeks out here - but does anyone have an idea what the week of Christmas holds for our region? Just trying to plan some outdoor festivities for the family and kiddos - thanks!
harpman

JamieP wrote:I know we're a little under 2 weeks out here - but does anyone have an idea what the week of Christmas holds for our region? Just trying to plan some outdoor festivities for the family and kiddos - thanks!
The GFS has been flip flopping every run, so it's anyone's guess.
MontgomeryCoWx

Latest GFS has snow in Montgomery Co and far NW Harris the day after Christmas....
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Actually it's the night of Christmas... 540 line slices right thru MoCo
Team #NeverSummer
harpman

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Latest GFS has snow in Montgomery Co and far NW Harris the day after Christmas....

Which run, the 12Z?
Kludge

As this storm lifts out I am now at the SIXTY-FIVE INCH mark for the year. Which is almost exactly THREE TIMES my total from 2011. I've never seen so much green in December. I may have to mow this week.

:D :D :D
MontgomeryCoWx

harpman wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Latest GFS has snow in Montgomery Co and far NW Harris the day after Christmas....

Which run, the 12Z?
It was the 0z
Team #NeverSummer
harpman

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:
harpman wrote:

Which run, the 12Z?
It was the 0z
I believe the 06Z took it away. Don't know what the 12Z showed.
MontgomeryCoWx

You are right. Someone posted the 0z graphic around lunch on another site.

Praying for cold and snow... Cold at the very least.
Team #NeverSummer
snowman65

"praying for cold and snow... Cold at the very least."

Unless things change you are looking at an 80 degree Christmas...just looks like more warm/humid the rest of the year, at least. Small brief cool down next weekend. The El Nino December outlook for "Cooler than normal" for our part of the country was a bust. It was/will be actually warmer than average. El Nino is "like a box of chocolates. Never know what you are going to get"..lol. But, that's weather.
BiggieSmalls

You can say that again......What a disappointment. All in all, this will be one of the wettest, warmest years ever, right?

I have no data to back it up but I still feel like we get a very cold month in either Jan or Feb, just because extremes are the norm lately.....but pretty disappointing it won't be during the holidays. Even places like Boston will be in the 50s for Christmas it looks like. Green Bay was close to 60 for the Cowboys game yesterday.
BiggieSmalls

Is it to early to know if El Nino will stick around for next fall and winter? I sure hope not
MontgomeryCoWx

It looks like we will be neutral next Fall/Winter
Team #NeverSummer
snowman65

Well, if you look at 12Z for Christmas day.....

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php ... r=sc&dpdt=
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pro tip: Stick with the ensembles ~vs~ the individual operational computer model output when looking at the data. The ensembles are keeping a stormy and unsettled pattern across the West Coast, Great Basin and Intermountain West. We are beginning to see some temperature anomalies nearing -30 to -40 showing up across Alaska and NW Canada. That is our source region for eventually getting cold air into Texas and the Southern Plains. Also, be careful of the temperature anomalies depicted across Canada. While it is certainly warm relative to normal, they have been getting snow. As long as the Polar Vortex remains anchored across the North Pole instead of over Canada/Hudson Bay, there is little of any mechanism to shift the upper air pattern allowing blocking that would deliver very cold air South into the Plains. Also remember we have seen very warm early winters with severe weather and flooding rainfall during past El Nino's. That pattern can flip on a dime when we get into January and February which is our 'Prime Time' for wintry mischief in our part of the world.
Attachments
12142015 12Z GEFS 192 gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_33.png
12142015 12Z GEFS 192 gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_33.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MontgomeryCoWx

Well the 12z GFS looks much better.

I'm sure it will flip back to 80 and disgusting in the 18z run.
Team #NeverSummer
snowman65

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Well the 12z GFS looks much better.

I'm sure it will flip back to 80 and disgusting in the 18z run.
Please post a link...thanks
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The afternoon Updated Day 8 to 14 Outlook takes us into the Christmas and pre New Years Eve timeframe. Some of the analogs such as 2007 are raising a bit of an eyebrow. Some will recall a very significant Ice Storm impacted much of Texas during the mid January timeframe.
Attachments
12142015 CPC 814prcp_new.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
redneckweather

Srain, raising an eyebrow huh? That is way too far in the extended (mid January?????) to be even mentioning the possibilities of an ice storm. We have yet to have a freeze here in the Conroe area (cold source for southeast Texas) and it is already mid December. I have yet to put on a heavy jacket while sitting in a deer stand.
  • Information