JUNE 2015 -Scattered Showers/Storms To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
unome

just a reminder:

https://twitter.com/NWSNHC

Natl Hurricane Ctr ‏@NWSNHC Jun 8

NHC announces its new Twitter account for interactive outreach - @nwsnhc. We look forward to engaging the public and our partners here.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

latest recon confirms the center.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
texasrattler
Location: Richmond, Fort Bend County (Grand Parkway & Mason Road)

Looking at this, did they find the center at 0:01Z when they found pressure at about 1002 and winds at about 5 knots? How do we know where they were lat/long at that particular time?
Attachments
recon.png
recon.png (47.97 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Andrew wrote:latest recon confirms the center.

Andrew,

They gotta pull the trigger. If they do not, it is looking really bad upon them. I respect the mets at the NHC ( many of them have PhDs), but wow....just wow...
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sounds like we are getting close to the first advisory.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

06162015 0021Z recon_AF304-03BBA-INVEST.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Scott747

I think there comes a point where there is another time/place for criticizing the NHC. ;)

Now if we don't get a special advisory soon.....
Paul Robison

Don't know if this'll help, but:

CenterPoint Energy urges customers to be prepared for tropical system

• Follow @cnpalerts and visit Outage Tracker for general outage locations
• Visit CenterPointEnergy.com/StormCenter for electric and natural gas safety tips and other resources

HOUSTON – June 15, 2015 – CenterPoint Energy is working closely with local city and county officials and is prepared to respond to electric or natural gas issues that may arise from potential high winds and flooding. The company also reminds consumers of ways to stay informed about power outages and important electric and natural gas safety information.

Consumers are encouraged to sign up for Power Alert Service before the storm arrives. Power Alert Service automatically notifies consumers via SMS text, email or phone call whenever a power outage or other power problem is detected at or near their address. The service is free*, and alerts arrive within minutes of an outage that occurs at or near an address.
*Standard text messaging rates apply.

Building upon the company’s investment in smart grid technology, Power Alert Service notifies registered consumers to power outages and other problems and:
• Provides an estimated time when the problem will be fixed
• Notifies customers when the problem has been resolved and updates throughout the repair process as well as what caused the outage
• Allows customers to opt-out at any time

Consumers interested in receiving alerts should visit CenterPointEnergy.com/PowerAlertService to sign up or update their contact and notification preferences. Signing up or modifying communication preferences requires an electric meter number, so consumers should have a recent electric bill handy.

While Power Alert Service provides personalized, address-specific outage information, CenterPoint Energy’s https://twitter.com/CNPalerts, Facebook page and the outage tracker application provide more generalized information. Consumers are also encouraged to visit CenterPointEnergy.com/StormCenter for electric and natural gas safety information and other resources.

do they expect widespread or isolated problems? Just curious.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scott747 wrote:I think there comes a point where there is another time/place for criticizing the NHC. ;)

I agree. It is easy to criticize the NWS at times (and I agree that I have done it myself) but there are often many behind the scenes issues. Hopefully recent recon should give them the confidence and confirmation that this is a Tropical Storm.
stormlover

Where is center going to be located?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

stormlover wrote:Where is center going to be located?
We'll get a vortex message shortly with the coordinates.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Andrew wrote:
Scott747 wrote:I think there comes a point where there is another time/place for criticizing the NHC. ;)

I agree. It is easy to criticize the NWS at times (and I agree that I have done it myself) but there are often many behind the scenes issues. Hopefully recent recon should give them the confidence and confirmation that this is a Tropical Storm.

I know. I respect them a ton. There has to be some SERIOUS discussions in that room. I would love to be a fly on that wall.
stormlover

Ok thanks
Paul Robison

Andrew wrote:

Just for fun: Have you ever flown on a hurricane hunter yourself?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The public isn't allowed on the Hurricane Hunter operational missions, Paul. Media is at times, but not the general public. Back to the storm... ;)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul Robison wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Just for fun: Have you ever flown on a hurricane hunter yourself?

:lol: no I wish. I have respect for those individuals who fly. A lot of pressure from a lot of people to make sure they do a good job.
davidiowx

Is it possible the NHC has waited to issue warnings because they are unsure where it will actually end up? I know the LLC not being evident has been to topic of the day, but is it possible the storm could end up further N than the models? Or further West? Just a honest question.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

davidiowx wrote:Is it possible the NHC has waited to issue warnings because they are unsure where it will actually end up? I know the LLC not being evident has been to topic of the day, but is it possible the storm could end up further N than the models? Or further West? Just a honest question.

No. That will never be the case.
Paul Robison

srainhoutx wrote:The public isn't allowed on the Hurricane Hunter operational missions, Paul. Media is at times, but not the general public. Back to the storm... ;)

Bummer. If I had $64 million I'd buy one of those planes for myself. Now, back to the storm....
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

A 60 mph reading in last HDOB.
Attachments
06162015 0031Z recon_AF304-03BBA-INVEST.png

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information