Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texaspirate11

Planning for severe weather if you have a disability.

http://wheel-life.org/planning-for-seve ... isability/
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Texaspirate11

Does anyone ever read stuff I post?
rnmm

Texaspirate11 wrote:Does anyone ever read stuff I post?

I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deborah, you are an asset to our Weather Community and your passion to inform ALL of our Disabled Neighbors across our Region does not go unnoticed. The information you provide is so appreciated by many. Thank you for the role you play in providing good and factual information that our KHOU Weather Forum is known for well beyond the SE Texas Region.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Texaspirate11

Thanks you two - since no one ever comments, one has to wonder - thanks.

NEW APP coming dealing with STORM SURGES this hurricane season.

Surge is the most deadly to people and property, yet few understand the impact
and danger.

Beginning with the 2014 Atlantic hurricane season, NOAA's National Hurricane Center will begin using an experimental Potential Storm Surge Flooding Map for those areas along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts of the United States at risk of storm surge from a tropical cyclone.

Here is the link - please book mark and share.

120 days til cane season 2014.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/20140131_p ... raphic.pdf
Texaspirate11

HALLELUJAH! ~From the Office of Governor Perry
Commission for People with Disabilities

On January 30, 2014, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted a policy statement setting forth goals for achieving text-to-911 and a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM). The policy statement highlighted the nation’s four largest wireless telephone providers’ commitment to make text-to-911 available to all their customers nationwide by May 15, 2014. The FCC encourages other text providers to offer text-to-911 as well and asks for comment on proposals to meet the goals of

(1) making sure that people with disabilities have direct access to 911 services and (2) enabling people in situations from which it might be impossible or dangerous to make a voice call (i.e., hostage situation, domestic violence) to make text-to-911 calls.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Release ... 5351A1.pdf
Stormrider

I do, too! Keep doin' what you do!
Texaspirate11

Stormrider wrote:

(((STORMRIDER!!!)))) I was thinking of you the other day
It's almost (well nearly almost) time for our get together at the Galveston Hurricane Shindig
like in May LOL...Hope you are staying warm. Thank you so much! So good to see you.
Stormrider

Texaspirate11 wrote:
Stormrider wrote:

(((STORMRIDER!!!)))) I was thinking of you the other day
It's almost (well nearly almost) time for our get together at the Galveston Hurricane Shindig
like in May LOL...Hope you are staying warm. Thank you so much! So good to see you.
(((TEXAS PIRATE))) Back at ya! With all of this cold weather, sleet and graupel (my new word for the week!), hurricane season seems like a century away. It will, however be here before you know it. I plan to be at the Galveston Hurricane Shinding (love the displays and the hot dogs!) Hope to eyeball you there. Warm thoughts to you.
Texaspirate11

(((TEXAS PIRATE))) Back at ya! With all of this cold weather, sleet and graupel (my new word for the week!), hurricane season seems like a century away. It will, however be here before you know it. I plan to be at the Galveston Hurricane Shinding (love the displays and the hot dogs!) Hope to eyeball you there. Warm thoughts to you.

HAHA Storm Rider - they do have good hot dogs and cake at that shindig -
and you are so correct the hot weather seems like it was so last year.
Cant' wait for the first 100 degree weather day!!!!!!!!!!

Stay warm - this weather is for penguins.
Stormrider

Texaspirate11 wrote:Thanks you two - since no one ever comments, one has to wonder - thanks.

and danger.

Beginning with the 2014 Atlantic hurricane season, NOAA's National Hurricane Center will begin using an experimental Potential Storm Surge Flooding Map for those areas along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts of the United States at risk of storm surge from a tropical cyclone.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. This forecast will be an impowtant tool for determining the potential for storm surge flooding.

It's vitally important for people to know the elevation of their homes so that they "soft prep" before a watch or warning is issued. Hopefully local emergency managers will make full use of this product to ugre residents to evacuate, if necessary.
Texaspirate11

Stormrider wrote:
Texaspirate11 wrote:Thanks you two - since no one ever comments, one has to wonder - thanks.

and danger.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. This forecast will be an impowtant tool for determining the potential for storm surge flooding.

It's vitally important for people to know the elevation of their homes so that they "soft prep" before a watch or warning is issued. Hopefully local emergency managers will make full use of this product to ugre residents to evacuate, if necessary.

STORM RIDER - I'd just be happy if people understood WHAT a surge is....if they did, we wouldn't need anyone to tell us anything - we' would leave....
I know I'm 11 feet above sea level and Ike's surge came up 10.5 feet - my house, sitting near the water, missed it by that much.

Dang I hate this cold weather.....I cant wait til Spring.
Texaspirate11

Georgia and Carolinas were hit pretty hard with this historic storm.
If you know anyone in Georgia in this area with a disability or anyone that needs help
here is some information you can pass along to them - at this point probably via texting.

During the last hour, the number of trees, tree limbs and power lines falling in roadways has greatly increased. Power outages are now being reported all over the county and the situation has turned critical. We have numerous citizens who need power for medical equipment and many others who need shelter from the cold.
Therefore, we are opening Patriot’s Park (5445 Columbia Road, Grovetown) as a public shelter at 10:00 p.m. tonight – in coordination with the Red Cross, DFCS, Health Department and Recreation Department.

Anyone without power that would like to go and needs transportation is requested to call 3-1-1 or (706) 868-3375 and provide your name, address and telephone number so that we can coordinate transportation for you. The National Guard is assisting with transportation.

The Government Center lost power at 8:15pm tonight and the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is operating on generator at this time.
Texaspirate11

While Washington DC is battling the snowmageddon, the city has roled out a new way to keep
people warm.

As shelters fill up, or not in an area one can get to, they have "warming busses" now.
Many on the street do not like to go to shelters and some die, as one did today in Washington, DC

I know in S. Carolina, shelters for the disabled were far away to get too.

I applaud Washington DC for this concept.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 95291.html
Texaspirate11

THIS IS WHAT THE DISABILITY COMMUNITY FACES IN SNOW:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... p_efforts/
Stormrider

Texaspirate11 wrote:THIS IS WHAT THE DISABILITY COMMUNITY FACES IN SNOW:

Sobering story. A prime example that greater awareness of the challenges the disabled community faces.
Texaspirate11

Stormrider wrote:
Texaspirate11 wrote:THIS IS WHAT THE DISABILITY COMMUNITY FACES IN SNOW:

Sobering story. A prime example that greater awareness of the challenges the disabled community faces.

Last year, when I was speaking at a certain group whom I will not name, about emergency preparedness and the disabled
I spoke of the challenges they face and how organizations who help the community after a disaster, can reach out and help.
Sometimes we overlook what they truly need and some people think "one size fits all", as this article pointed out.

At this meeting, one man stood up and gruffly said "I don't care about the disabled."
I am not one to become speechless, but I suppose for his sake, glad I was at that moment.
But with attitudes like that in organizations that are suppose to help, we can see why the disability community is at risk.

That article just reminded me of that clueless person.
Stormrider

Unbelieveable. What a insensitive statement.

Advances in medicine and rehabilitation have changed the dynamics of the aged and disabled communities. Emergency mamagement must reflect and adapt to those changes. It's true, one size does NOT fit all. There need to be dialogues with individuals, healthcare providers and government agencies on how they would respond to a major weather event. I just hope that it does not take a tradgedy to kick the discussion up a notch.

Keep doin' what you do. :)
Texaspirate11

AN FYI: This isn't about weather but there may be a situation in a shelter that may come up:

There has been several stories lately about people being thrown out of restaurants who come in with SERVICE DOGS.
The managers throw the owner and service dog out, stating that the person "isn't blind."

Service dogs are not just for those who are visually impaired. Many service dogs are being used now by returning disabled vets They are used for PTSD and other disabilities to help the VET through.

THERE IS A LAW that was signed by Gov. Perry:

House Bill 489 signed by Perry in June 2013 made it a misdemeanor to refuse entry to service dogs, punishable by a minimum $300 ticket and 30 days community service. The bill came into effect Jan. 1 this year and is clearly outlined on the governor's website.

Very few people and those in law enforcement know about this law.
Please be aware of it and educate others.
Texaspirate11

AH GEEZ LOUISE - March is roarin in like an angry lion
Someone throw him a cheeseburger....

Monday 3/2
We may be issued Winter Weather Warning sometime today
As if, we aren't aware of this freezing cold weather - wind chill by the bay, 16
DO WE LOOK LIKE MINNEAPOLIS?

I will update later - and also if there's any closings for Tuesday...

STAY WARM - think *summer*
  • Information