January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Snowman

Should I trust the NAM that brings New Orleans 3 inches of snow or should I trust the GFS that brings us a half inch of just ice?
randybpt

Well so much for snow! Just a big mess of ice, come on spring I'm like Ed cold is useless without
Snow. Every model keeps trending away from much of nothing
Kingwood31

Well if we can't go sledding then we can go ice skating lol
redneckweather

Yep, when you see the word 'SNOW' mentioned in forecasts for Southeast Texas (no matter how close to the event we are) you better take it with a grain of salt. Case in point. IT DOES NOT SNOW DOWN HERE and when it does, it is a very rare occurrence. From the chatter I'm seeing from the Mets on here, I guess we can give the NAM some credit. This one looks just like the last event with maybe a little more moisture involved. Maybe I will see a snowflake out of this one but doubt it.
MontgomeryCoWx

I'd rather have ice than nothing at all.
Team #NeverSummer
Kingwood31

Does it really matter anymore,spring is only a month away
MontgomeryCoWx

Kingwood31 wrote:Does it really matter anymore,spring is only a month away
I hate warm weather. Yes, it does matter.
Team #NeverSummer
Kingwood31

Will get what we get and like it :mrgreen:
redneckweather

And after Jeff see's the latest NAM model run, I'm sure his forecast he let out not long ago will trend in that direction for sure. I will still be out straining my eyes to try and catch a glimpse of that elusive snowflake. :?
Texaspirate11

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:

I hate winter. Yes, it matters.
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Kingwood31

It's crazy how we live and die by model runs..never seen anything like it..if you get something be thankful,weathers it's a flurry or a sleet pellet..it's houston and rare
MontgomeryCoWx

Texaspirate11 wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:

I hate winter. Yes, it matters.

Exactly my point... It matters for everyone regardless of preference.

But I'd say its a bit selfish of the warm weather crowd to poo all over the cold weather lovers hope for snow/ice. We are lucky to get 1-2 weeks of this stuff a winter (not just precip...actual cold). You warm weather lovers get 6 months of that HELLISH weather each year. ;)
Last edited by MontgomeryCoWx on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team #NeverSummer
cristina6871

okay, so i jumped back on. Reading the latest posts, does this mean snow is completely out of the picture now?
Kingwood31

cristina6871 wrote:okay, so i jumped back on. Reading the latest posts, does this mean snow is completely out of the picture now?
Getting there...
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow everyone, let's just Relax and take a step back. Let's try and not live and die by the models.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

FYI: We are aware that some are experiencing slow loading times for the Board. This is a Nationwide issue that has affected NOAA/NCEP server as well as various other companies such as AT &T and other. There are no issues with the server, it is a wide scale issue affecting many internet operations across a large geographical area.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
djmike

Ok now Im getting confused. Im hearing more and more this morning that now this is going to be more of an ice/sleet event now. And now that qpf will be really low west of the sabine. I do know it will be colder than last event and last longer, but are we starting to lose our moisture? Will the accumilations of ice/sleet be more than last event or less. I'm not wishcasting or anything of that nature, the reason Im asking is because I need to make a firm decision for my employees today and I would like to give them the most accurate info (at this time) and inform them what they should do tomorrow. i.e. (Come into work, make it a half day, dont come in..etc.). Thanks in advance.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Andrew wrote:Wow everyone, let's just Relax and take a step back. Let's try and not live and die by the models.

I was just about to say. Thank you Andrew. Reread Jeff's analysis of this upcoming event. Wxman 57 agrees with it and so does Sraintx. Calm down and relax. More information is coming in as we speak.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember a lot of the models are having trouble with some of the meso banding and the phasing of moisture from both the north and south. That will be key here in determine accumulation rates. The faster that occurs the better. Around 12z tomorrow seems to be when that really takes place
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Wood6818

Hello All,

Longtime lurker. I just wanted to say I am one that really appreciates this board and all the Mets that post here.
over the years I have always gotten great info from here, especially IKE. Over the years i can say that predicting Winter weather in Houston is like playing the lottery.Models say one thing but it turns out totally different.I think we should just follow Srainhoutx method and watch the players involved as it unfolds, instead model watching. anyway it goes we will be a mess tomorrow, but I would rather have some white stuff.
  • Information