January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
cristina6871

jeff wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Paul Baustista wrote:am i seeing this right? wxman actually being positive about cold and snow? i never thought i would see this day.,,,,,jeff being negative and wxman being positive. thank you wxman
The only possible good of cold air in winter is if there's snow involved. Otherwise, I'd rather have 100 deg temps in winter.
I am not being negative...I am being careful or the droves will come out of the wood work Wednesday whining about the biggest forecast bust ever.

While everyone on here is worried about snow amounts...the big concern is how people are going to get home on Tuesday when they go to work Tuesday morning with nothing happening. If it is 2 inches of snow or .05 of an inch of ice the impact on the roads is the same especially with temperatures as low as they are forecast to be. With meso banding I would not at all be surprised to see a few 6-8 inch snow amounts...but where this happens...your guess is as good as mine at this point.
I am sort of wondering the same thing.. Hardly anyone in my office was concerned last week.....so I am hoping maybe they'll let us out shortly before noon on Tuesday.
Texaspirate11

I just want to put in my request for a hot summer NOW.

Take care everyone -
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Mr. T

Texaspirate11 wrote:I just want to put in my request for a hot summer NOW.
-------------
As long as it actually rains this summer
Last edited by Mr. T on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

cperk wrote:
jeff wrote:I was on the 200pm WFO con call and they are fairly confident in this event, but not overly confident in accumulation amounts just yet. A lot of time was spent discussing what to do with Tuesday with schools...ect. There is just no easy answer with what we are facing.

Jeff I do understand that the timing with event should be of concern.Employers and school districts are gonna have to make some hard decisions.Rush hour traffic and winter weather events can't be good.
We are a "I believe it when I see it society" which makes this very hard to convey. Believe me at 330am on Friday morning the amount of discussion that was ongoing to try and make decision was incredible then the Fred Hartmand bridge went and 5 minutes later the 610 E loop bridge and within 20 minutes all the Beltway flyovers...the decision was easy at that point and luckily just a few minutes before the 400am news started, but an hour later and schools would have gone ahead only to have ice form during the commute. It was about as stressful 2 hour period as any hurricane.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 21Z SREF has a fairly widespread band of .25 QPF over inland areas Of SE Texas including DT Houston and another along the Coastal tier of Counties.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
skidog40

It seems our employers will have to make a judgment call, even if you make it in, it could put you at risk going home.
Paul Robison

Dear Jeff,

What locations are south of 1-10 that would most likely experience the problems you mentioned in your response to my last post. (power disruptions, I mean?)

P.S. I live in southwest houston, slightlly below I-10. Please say I won't lose MY lights!!!!!!!
cristina6871

skidog40 wrote:It seems our employers will have to make a judgment call, even if you make it in, it could put you at risk going home.

I agree.....do we go in on Tuesday and leave early or not go in at all....I am hoping my boss(es) really look at this forecast and make the right call. I live in The Woodlands and it could be dicy going in.
ronyan

I enjoy reading the input from the various pro mets and old timers here, thank you for taking the time. As a long-time follower (over 10 years) of this board and not so frequent poster, I have seen people come and go. It's good to see some of the old names on here and know that they are still around.
Last edited by ronyan on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingwood31

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
Texaspirate11 wrote:I just want to put in my request for a hot summer NOW.

Take care everyone -

I'm a FUN-derstorm man, and want either semi-regular sea breeze storms this Summer, or a few decent tropical waves. I think I would wishcast up to a marginal Cat 1 hurricane.

mid 90s all Summer.

In a way, anything but a 2011 style drought...
As long as your banana plants are ok huh ed ;)
cperk

cristina6871 wrote:
skidog40 wrote:It seems our employers will have to make a judgment call, even if you make it in, it could put you at risk going home.

I agree.....do we go in on Tuesday and leave early or not go in at all....I am hoping my boss(es) really look at this forecast and make the right call. I live in The Woodlands and it could be dicy going in.

I'm struggling with the timing of this event too I work in my county but my wife work downtown our county judge will determine when to close our office.
MontgomeryCoWx

I've had enough hot weather to last me a lifetime. Yes, I know I live in Houston.

I laughed today, because my sister is a big HOT weather person. I told her "we never get much winter weather here... I swear you hot weather people are so selfish ;) "

It's not the end of the world, its going to be 70 Friday...
Team #NeverSummer
randybpt

Sure looking just like last week, snow north of 105 and ice south no fun
Here in Beaumont ,
cristina6871

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:I've had enough hot weather to last me a lifetime. Yes, I know I live in Houston.

I laughed today, because my sister is a big HOT weather person. I told her "we never get much winter weather here... I swear you hot weather people are so selfish ;) "

It's not the end of the world, its going to be 70 Friday...

I'm with you.....I just tell those people they will get their share of warm to hot weather soon enough. Let us have this time..it's been quite some time since we've had significant cold weather. BTW - what do you expect for The Woodlands area...... :)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'd plan on staying HOME on Tuesday. The freezing rain and sleet should begin by sunrise and road conditions should deteriorate through the morning. By late morning the roads may become impassible. Sleet and snow is likely during the afternoon, making the roads even more treacherous as temps fall into the 20s.

I'm certainly planning on working from home Tuesday. Seems like an easy call.
MontgomeryCoWx

It all depends on where those meso bands set up but The Woodlands should see at least a trace of sleet with at least an inch or two of snow on top.

By the way, I'm just a few exits north of you on the Conroe/Woodlands line so we wouldn't be too far apart. I'm just 10 minutes to the East Northeats of 45 off Crighton.
Team #NeverSummer
Brandy3835

randybpt wrote:Sure looking just like last week, snow north of 105 and ice south no fun
Here in Beaumont ,

I hope we see some snow. Last week I was outside at 1:00 am in the middle of my street in my pj's feeling for snow flakes
cperk

wxman57 wrote:I'd plan on staying HOME on Tuesday. The freezing rain and sleet should begin by sunrise and road conditions should deteriorate through the morning. By late morning the roads may become impassible. Sleet and snow is likely during the afternoon, making the roads even more treacherous as temps fall into the 20s.

I'm certainly planning on working from home Tuesday. Seems like an easy call.
Any ideas on conditions for the Richmond/Rosenberg area.
Paul Robison

Is Galveston at higer risk for very heavy icing than Houston is?
ronyan

The 0z NAM looks aggressive with precip for the Houston area.
  • Information