Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still getting sleet up here.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

You think it will change to all snow before it ends here Andrew?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

South_Texas_Storms wrote:You think it will change to all snow before it ends here Andrew?

Already getting reports of that transition. I think it won't be long until it does transition fully. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts.
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

Where is the transition occurring and when do you think it will here?
djmike

Question...Im in the Beaumont area and the "pink" ice/sleet line has passed us about an hour ago and now we are dead center of the pink ice/sleet area. Why isn't there frozen precip falling? What determines the pink?
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
WX201

Kountze 29 snow freezing rain mix trees are collecting ice...worried about power
Baseballdude2915

South_Texas_Storms wrote:Where is the transition occurring and when do you think it will here?
I've seen some snow on cars from people in the CS area. You should be switching back and forth for a while starting now and should be mostly snowflakes overnight, how much depends on how that core performs when it's overhead in the pre-dawn hours.
djmike

WX201 wrote:Kountze 29 snow freezing rain mix trees are collecting ice...worried about power
Wow, just north of me. Not seeing anything here in Beaumont yet!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
WX201

The frozen line moved thru here and it was a couple of hours before it really showed up
Baseballdude2915

djmike wrote:Question...Im in the Beaumont area and the "pink" ice/sleet line has passed us about an hour ago and now we are dead center of the pink ice/sleet area. Why isn't there frozen precip falling? What determines the pink?
Not the best explanation or most accurate, but the reflectivity on radar echoes determines the "color" on the radar but it doesnt mean that's actually whats falling. See the radar doesnt account for the very bottom portion of the atmosphere which has a slight warm "nose" for now in some areas which is melting the freezing precip thats popping up in the higher levels.
Baseballdude2915

WX201 wrote:The frozen line moved thru here and it was a couple of hours before it really showed up
Welcome to the forum! Make sure to update your profile so your location is shown, that way we see where you are when you report observations :D
djmike

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
WX201

New model info should be coming out soon...right?
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Holy Moly!!! I stepped away from this forum for 3 hours and come back with 10+ pages. Whew! I did some catching up. It's so great to see this forum so alive tonight! Reading through the post, I see we have some guest that have now joined as members and giving us updates for their location! Want to say welcome to the KHOU Board!

Side from that, stay safe out there everyone! Ice is no fun at all when it comes to driving in it. For those who have school/classes cancelled, I'm jealous! For those who still have to go to work, be safe in the morning and give yourself plenty of time. As Andrew stated, by looking at latest models tonight and how everything is coming together, areas along Houston and NE (and even SW) has a great potential to come out the winner of this event as far as precip goes. Looks to be a long night ahead. Glad winter finally came around for South and Central TX after a three year absence!

While y'all are dealing with the messy side of this arctic blast, I just left the National Weather Service here in Norman with a bone chilling of 11 degrees. When is spring again, wxman57? Hahaha! :lol:

Cheers everyone!
Last edited by Belmer on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
nuby3

WELL. THIS IS IT FOLKS, POP THE CORKS ON THE CHAMPAGNE. WE DID IT. SORRY TO GO ALL CAPS ON YOU PEOPLE BUT I THINK IT'S TIME TO. WE ARE HAVING OURSELVES A WINTER STORM AND THE HOUSTON METRO AREA WILL BE UNDER THE GUN UNTIL NOON TOMORROW. I HAVE BEEN WAITING SINCE 1997 FOR THIS.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

FM 1097 over Lake Conroe is iced over

Temp 33 at DWH and IAH
nuby3

I HAVE SLUSH ACCUMULATING ON MY BALCONY. I-45 and RAYFORD SAWDUST :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :evil: :twisted: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Paul Robison

nuby3 wrote:I HAVE SLUSH ACCUMULATING ON MY BALCONY. I-45 and RAYFORD SAWDUST :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :evil: :twisted: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The freezing rain/sleet is coming down in the Houston area right now?

Uh, is this winter storm similar to the damaging, punishing ice storm that hit us back in 1997?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mixing with sleet and snow up here. Overpasses are closed up here in college station. Heavy sleet too. Sidewalks are beginning to freeze over. Streets will be next.
WX201

Snowing heavier with sleet...starting to accumulate on grass...trees rattling in the wind
  • Information