Dr Lyons is out at TWC Rick Knabb to take over

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Hardcoreweather

Dr. Steve Lyons is out at TWC. Dr. Rick Knabb from the CPHC announced his resignation last week with plans to join TWC in early May as Director of Tropical Meteorology . Dr Lyons is the new MIC at WFO San Angelo,TX :D
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

When I talked to Steve in 2008 at the NHC in Orlando (we shared a cab to the airport) he told me that he wasn't very happy with the path TWC had taken in recent years. Less real weather, more storm stories and even movies. Except during the hurricane season, there probably wasn't much for him to do there.
sleetstorm

Dr. Steve Lyons is doing an excellent job as a professional hurricane expert, in my opinion, even though I have not watched him on the Tropical Update on The Weather Channel since last year if not longer.
ticka1

Wish Dr Lyons all the best in his new position. I follow him on Facebook so I'm sure he will put his two cents in for the hurricane season tropial forecast.
Hardcoreweather

Kind of hard to source an Email but there was one sent out Thursday with the info
unome

a quick search will show that the current mic in san angelo has retired and an "interim" person has the duties currently

for knabb info look here: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/prin ... ws=1250646
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

As discussed here and elsewhere, I'd take a nice safe government job over the flaky Weather Channel any day of the week...
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a couple of friends working down at the NWS. Their only complaints have been their rotating shifts and the possibility of being reassigned to another office somewhere...
Hardcoreweather

[quote="Ed Mahmoud"]Ah, a real link, not an e-mail someone got and then posted on some bulletin boards.

Now I feel better.

:roll: I really don't get what your problem is and why you would doubt me when the info came straight from a mass email that was sent to all the Southern Region NWS offices

How about this link

http://press.weather.com/press_detail.asp?id=293

Once again thanks for playing and have a nice evening
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Knabb's face/bio isn't up, but Lyon's face/bio taken down from Weather.com TV personalities page.
TWC is probably too busy planning their next movie night the next time there's severe weather in the U.S...
  • Information