Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texas Pirate

Okay okay...where's that dang Groundhog?
Enough already!!!!!

Want to do a shout out to CERT SW and also CERT BayArea for having me speak to them this past week on
EP and the issues that face the Disability Community. Nice folks who really care for their community.

I'm sure you may have seen the Hurricane Predications come rolling on through.
Everyone and their Mama's are predicting an ABOVE AVERAGE year. Some are calling for
19 named storms/8 Hurricanes/3-4 major ones.

Whatever the number, please remember IT ONLY TAKES ONE.
And that ONE is enough.

Are you prepared for this season?

In the upcoming month or so, I'll post where cities are having their Hurricane Preparedness Meet n Greet.
Remember, Galveston serves hot dogs and cake :lol:

Be well.
Texas Pirate

The BATTLE for Spring rages - 80's, 60's 40's
some lottery huh?
This coming week April 15th we may see some good rains in the form of strong-severe Thursday.

Another BATTLE we've been fighting for seems to have come to a nice conclusion, though.

For our visually impaired community, the weather statements in the past have proved useless.
As those of us who can see on our crawls across the TV, when bad wx strikes: there's a BEEP BEEP BEEP
then the wording, but nothing that follows. So the visually impaired has to guess: Tornado? Severe storms? Hurricanes?

The FCC has now ruled there must be AUDIO that follows the BEEP BEEP BEEP.
Makes SENSE to me. Finally....in two years time.

From Governors Office in Austin: Committee for People w/Disabilities:

FCC Adopts Rules on Emergency Information and Video Equipment Requirements for Emergency Information and Video Description

Accessible Televised Emergency Information. On April 8, 2013, the FCC adopted rules to make televised emergency information more accessible to individuals who are blind or visually impaired.

The new rules require emergency information that appears visually during a non-news program (such as when information about the emergency appears visually on the bottom of the screen during a regularly scheduled program) to be provided audibly on a secondary audio stream.

The rules will take effect two years after publication in the Federal Register. However, The Weather Channel has an additional 6 months to comply, and The Weather Channel on DIRECTV has an additional 1 year to comply.

New Requirements for Equipment. The FCC also adopted rules to ensure that certain equipment used to receive, play back, or record television programs is able to make secondary audio streams available. Secondary audio streams will convey emergency information, as well as the audio video description that makes programs accessible to individuals who are blind or visually impaired. These rules also go into effect two years after they are published in the Federal Register.

Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM). In addition to adopting the new rules, the FCC is asking the public to comment on three issues:

(1) whether the FCC should require companies covered by the new rules to provide contact information and customer support services to help consumers who are blind or visually impaired navigate between the main and secondary audio streams;

(2) whether new services that deliver certain types of television programming over tablets, laptops, personal computers, smartphones, or similar devices should be covered by the FCC’s requirements for video description and accessible emergency information; and

(3) whether the FCC should require accessibility content on the secondary audio stream to be tagged in a manner that enables equipment to detect this content when it is present – this will make it easier for consumers who are blind or visually impaired to find the secondary audio stream.

FNPRM Comment Date: (60 days after date of publication in the Federal Register) FNPRM Reply Comment Date: (90 days after date of publication in the Federal Register)
wxman666

I've hovered over this topic for awhile now, somewhat hesitant to post but now I have to wonder. I don't know if anything has been brought up about something like this (I didn't take the time to go through all 11 pages). However, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder which I still struggle with today, and storm systems/weather affect it and my migraines in a big way. During the wildfires of 2011, the evacuations got a little close for comfort and my parents were out of town well over 100 miles away with hardly any cell phone service and I wasn't sure how I was going to get out if I needed to because by doctor's orders and DPS law, I cannot drive, therefore I cannot get myself out. The majority of my family lives in North TX (where we moved from). I have one relative who lives and works in Baytown and I live in Cypress. I have always been one to be prepared for severe weather events. I do have a storm kit, a weather radio, medications etc. Just wondering if there was any way to avoid a sticky situation like that again or similar to that.
Ready for severe weather season!!
Texas Pirate

wxman666 wrote:I've hovered over this topic for awhile now, somewhat hesitant to post but now I have to wonder. I don't know if anything has been brought up about something like this (I didn't take the time to go through all 11 pages). However, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder which I still struggle with today, and storm systems/weather affect it and my migraines in a big way. During the wildfires of 2011, the evacuations got a little close for comfort and my parents were out of town well over 100 miles away with hardly any cell phone service and I wasn't sure how I was going to get out if I needed to because by doctor's orders and DPS law, I cannot drive, therefore I cannot get myself out. The majority of my family lives in North TX (where we moved from). I have one relative who lives and works in Baytown and I live in Cypress. I have always been one to be prepared for severe weather events. I do have a storm kit, a weather radio, medications etc. Just wondering if there was any way to avoid a sticky situation like that again or similar to that.
Wxman 666 - FIrst off, THANK YOU for posting and sharing this story with me and probably others who might be hesitant to ask (you can always email me too for you lurkers out there ;)

Yes somewhere in my 11 page ramblings, there is a section on this.

I'm a big proponent in when making your emergency plans to contact either a friend in the neighborhood, someone maybe in your religious organization, a weather friend in your area, CERT members in CYFAIR, or other organizations and TELL THEM your situation. Reach out and tell them you cant drive, need a way to evacuate in case of fires or other situations and make this plan with that person AHEAD OF TIME. If you need to get to a shelter that has opened due to fires, etc. You can at least get there for safety. Maybe someone will drive you to Baytown to stay with that relative. Maybe someone helping you could even take you in if they themselves are out of the danger zone. You'll be surprised who will come to your aid. But, you must make your plans ahead of time. Hope this helped and please keep me posted. If you need further help in connecting, please email me. I'll help you.
wxman666

Texas Pirate wrote:
wxman666 wrote:I've hovered over this topic for awhile now, somewhat hesitant to post but now I have to wonder. I don't know if anything has been brought up about something like this (I didn't take the time to go through all 11 pages). However, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder which I still struggle with today, and storm systems/weather affect it and my migraines in a big way. During the wildfires of 2011, the evacuations got a little close for comfort and my parents were out of town well over 100 miles away with hardly any cell phone service and I wasn't sure how I was going to get out if I needed to because by doctor's orders and DPS law, I cannot drive, therefore I cannot get myself out. The majority of my family lives in North TX (where we moved from). I have one relative who lives and works in Baytown and I live in Cypress. I have always been one to be prepared for severe weather events. I do have a storm kit, a weather radio, medications etc. Just wondering if there was any way to avoid a sticky situation like that again or similar to that.
Wxman 666 - FIrst off, THANK YOU for posting and sharing this story with me and probably others who might be hesitant to ask (you can always email me too for you lurkers out there ;)

Yes somewhere in my 11 page ramblings, there is a section on this.

I'm a big proponent in when making your emergency plans to contact either a friend in the neighborhood, someone maybe in your religious organization, a weather friend in your area, CERT members in CYFAIR, or other organizations and TELL THEM your situation. Reach out and tell them you cant drive, need a way to evacuate in case of fires or other situations and make this plan with that person AHEAD OF TIME. If you need to get to a shelter that has opened due to fires, etc. You can at least get there for safety. Maybe someone will drive you to Baytown to stay with that relative. Maybe someone helping you could even take you in if they themselves are out of the danger zone. You'll be surprised who will come to your aid. But, you must make your plans ahead of time. Hope this helped and please keep me posted. If you need further help in connecting, please email me. I'll help you.
Thank you so much Texas Pirate. This helps a great deal!
Ready for severe weather season!!
Texas Pirate

The calendar almost says MAY, but Mother Nature is somehow on her own bizarre time table with this
Spring. I'm way over this cold weather.

Circle your calendar for JUNE 1st when the NWS HURRICANE WORKSHOP will be at the George R. Brown
from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. its FREE & FUN ~kinda like a weatherpazoola for weather enthusiasts and also those
that NEED to learn how to prepare for our upcoming cane season. Yes, summer is coming (sorry to borrow from
Game of Thrones)

Here's the link for the JUNE 1st Workshop - I'll update when other cities begin to advertise their cane fairs...

I hope to see you there.

http://www.hurricaneworkshop.com/
Texas Pirate

Happy MAY 1st!
Did you hear that Mother Nature - MAY not NOVEMBER...

This Friday/Saturday our lows will be in the 40's.....argh...

However, lets turn to 30 days from now: HURRICANE SEASON is coming: June 1-Nov. 30th

I am so hoping you have a plan by now.

I have another link to share with you from the City of Houston Mayor's Office of Emergency Management. Lots of cool info. Its the motherlode:

http://www.houstonoem.net/go/site/4027/

Stay warm (how strange to say in May) and please don't let the cooler wx fool ya.
Texas Pirate

Good Morning - Monday the 6th brings, finally, a most lovely day

Here is a comprehensive list of the Hurricane Meetings for your area. Please spread the word!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/?n=tropical_meetings
sambucol

Texas Pirate wrote:Good Morning - Monday the 6th brings, finally, a most lovely day

Here is a comprehensive list of the Hurricane Meetings for your area. Please spread the word!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/?n=tropical_meetings
Baytown isn't having a hurricane workshop this year :( I did ask, and this was the response I received:

Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately, the City isn't holding one this year. While we're thrilled that we haven't experienced a significant storm since Ike, the downside is that every year we're further removed from a big storm, public interest in personal planning goes down. Last year's workshop was too sparsely attended to justify holding it again this year.

We take emergency planning pretty seriously and this was a difficult decision, but it's the fact of the situation.

My office and the Office of Emergency Management will be working together to try and use other methods to get our message out to people - social media, traditional media, newsletters, etc.

The City continues to practice and enhance our emergency planning - as evidenced by the training we did earlier this year. I'd definitely encourage all of you to make sure your plans are in place.

Do you have the proper supplies to protect your property from debris? Do you have flood insurance (remember, once a storm forms in the gulf, you won't be able to purchase it)? Do you have 7 days worth of food and water for everyone in your household? Will you evacuate? Will you stay? What will trigger your evacuation? Do you know where important papers are? Do you have copies of your prescriptions? What about your pets? Do you have plans for evacuating with them? Lot's of questions and right now is the best time to work out answers. Here are some sites that can help:

http://www.ready.gov/

http://texashelp.tamu.edu/004-natural/hurricanes.php

http://governor.state.tx.us/hurricane/
Texas Pirate

Last year's workshop was too sparsely attended to justify holding it again this year.

Nothing like abandoning the ship for those who do care and could benefit! I can just imagine their outreach to the disabled there......

My area also doesn't have one, (we're basically 5 blocks long) but we hook up with neighboring little cities around the bay
and of course nod to Galveston and the big weatherpalooza on June 1st via Houston GRB.

This is very disheartening to me - considering they also said "we haven't had a big one since Ike". Yeah, nothing like tempting the fates....geez.

And to those that don't have computers, or aren't twits or facebookers- good luck getting the word out about preparedness.

Baytown you get the THUMBS DOWN in my pyrate log. :evil:
sambucol

Texas Pirate wrote: Last year's workshop was too sparsely attended to justify holding it again this year.

Nothing like abandoning the ship for those who do care and could benefit! I can just imagine their outreach to the disabled there......

My area also doesn't have one, (we're basically 5 blocks long) but we hook up with neighboring little cities around the bay
and of course nod to Galveston and the big weatherpalooza on June 1st via Houston GRB.

This is very disheartening to me - considering they also said "we haven't had a big one since Ike". Yeah, nothing like tempting the fates....geez.

And to those that don't have computers, or aren't twits or facebookers- good luck getting the word out about preparedness.

Baytown you get the THUMBS DOWN in my pyrate log. :evil:
I agree with you. I wasn't expecting to find out we weren't having a workshop this year. I know they have televised on the city's local cable channel in the past.
Texas Pirate

This Saturday May 11th from 9 a.m. - Noon

SEABROOK Hurricane Prep. Meeting @ SEABROOK CITY HALL

1700 1st St Seabrook, TX 77586
(281) 291-5600

Lets show up so we don't go the way of Baytown... :o

I am hoping People w/Disabilities show to educate themselves
as this city is right next to the bay...just sayin.

SEE YOU THERE. I'm the one with the red hair :-)
Texas Pirate

AWESOME turn out at the Seabrook Hurricane Workshop
Lots of good folks with good information and lots of peeps turned out.

Thanks to DAN REILLY, NWS for speaking about Hurricanes and how we need to prepare
(Remember Humberto!)

Next gathering:

May 16 Clear Lake Shores/Galveston 630 PM - 830 PM Clear Lake Shores Clubhouse
Texas Pirate

Here's to you Fort Bend County:
May 17 Rosenberg/Fort Bend
8 AM - 430 PM
Fort Bend County Hurricane Event (Rosenberg Civic Center)

Alan Spears
(281)238-3415
Texas Pirate

DID you know you can sign up for 911.org and receive notifications?

Like: Evacuation or Shelter & Place?

Link is here and find out more:

http://www.911.org/
Texas Pirate

Prayers up for our friends in Grandbury Texas

IF You know of anyone in the area:
(And I pray its accessible shelters for those who many need it.)

Victims displaced by the Granbury tornado Wednesday evening will be able to find shelter tonight at First Christian Church near Tractor Supply and First Methodist Church on Loop 567. The storm killed at least two people in Rancho Brazos southeast of Granbury and injured dozens of others.

ALSO: this one just opened: St Francis Cabrini Catholic Church is opened to anyone needing shelter.
Texas Pirate

WOOHOO finally hitting some real Spring/Summer temps...bring it.

Just stopping by to remind you of the following cane fests going on in a city near you or perhaps in YOUR area:

May 21st its a two-fer:

May 21 Liberty/Liberty 600 PM Liberty City Hall Liberty County OEM (936)334-3219

May 21 Dickinson/Galveston 630 PM - TBA Presbyterian Church/State Highway 3 Houston/Galveston National Weather Service (281)337-5074

Just been asked to put up a table for Pasadena Hurricane Workshop (June 8th) THANK YOU :D

Enjoy this SUNday...
sambucol

Texas Pirate wrote:WOOHOO finally hitting some real Spring/Summer temps...bring it.

Just stopping by to remind you of the following cane fests going on in a city near you or perhaps in YOUR area:

May 21st its a two-fer:

May 21 Liberty/Liberty 600 PM Liberty City Hall Liberty County OEM (936)334-3219

May 21 Dickinson/Galveston 630 PM - TBA Presbyterian Church/State Highway 3 Houston/Galveston National Weather Service (281)337-5074

Just been asked to put up a table for Pasadena Hurricane Workshop (June 8th) THANK YOU :D

Enjoy this SUNday...
I can't believe Liberty is have a preparedness meeting and Baytown is not!!! :?
Texas Pirate

Hey even my little town is also - last minute add on: Nassau Bay...what can I say?

Still on the pyrates list of Boo Baytown.....
rnmm

As hurricane season approaches, please don't forget to check on your disabled neighbors and see if you can help them get prepared for the upcoming season. I know this forum will get busy once we have activity, but now is a good time for us all to help one another out!! I look forward to chatting during this season with all of you and I pray we get to chat about nothing but "fish" storms!!!
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
  • Information