Longtime Houston TV Weatherman Doug Brown Passes

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Doug Brown, a longtime weathercaster at KTRK (Channel 13) and KHOU (Channel 11), has died. He was 79.

Brown worked for Channel 13 from 1976 through 2008, including several years on the station’s “Good Morning, Houston” program and on its morning newscasts.

He grew up in Brady, worked for Armed Forces Radio in Korea and began his career in television at KRGV in Weslaco and KWTX in Waco before coming to Houston in 1972 to work for Channel 11.

Brown came to Houston at the suggestion of longtime Channel 13 anchor Dave Ward, who also worked in Waco before coming to Channel 13.

“He was one of the greatest guys in the world, with a great sense of humor,” “He was very knowledgeable at what he did and had a great on-air presentation.”

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2013/ ... rown-dies/
01182013 newDougBrown-478x600.jpg
Doug Brown (Courtesy of KTRK)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kludge

As I grew up in Waco, and began to be fascinated with the science of weather, Doug became a sort of "idol" and role model for me. My weather interest would've probably waned were it not for the way he made it seem fun and fascinating. My Dad, a Waco Policeman, somehow managed to get Doug to call me on my 7th birthday. I was so stunned I could hardly say hello. It might as well had been the president on the phone. :o

Imagine my delight when i came down to Houston to go to college in '77 and find that Doug had moved here. :D I was "home" weatherwise.

I've missed him a lot, and am deeply saddened to know that I won't be seeing his weathercasts anymore...at least until "my time" comes, that is. I expect he will now be lobbying God to end this drought for good.

R.I.P. Mr. Brown
weatherrabbit

sad! I remember him as far back as '73 at ch. 11 then on ch. 13...
David Paul
Pro Met
Pro Met

Watched Doug all the time growing up here in Houston. Of course I also watched him as a colleague as we both worked the morning shift for years together. A good man who will be missed. Cheers Doug!
ticka1

Grew up with doug brown! My parents liked him and he was the one we always watched. RIP Doug!
C2G

Always thought of Doug as a kind person. I grew up watching him, believe he had a slot for a while during the morning news. Think it was 1981-82 when I watched him one morning before going to Junior High. I recall he was talking about the high of only 35 with thunderstorms. Anyway, around noon that day we did indeed get that rain that soon turned to sleet, which then became snow. Of course they let school out early, which made it a very eventful weather day, which was always associated with Doug Brown in my memory.
May he rest in peace.
Rip76

Lots and lots of memories of Doug Brown.
For some reason there are those people you've always really liked because of the
tone of their voice.
Doug Brown was people I really liked, growing up.

Here is a good clip of Doug talking about Hurricane Danny.
(There is a bit of old General Hospital in the beginning.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QueXPxdw ... ata_player

Rest in peace, Mr. Brown.
meli83

Kludge wrote:As I grew up in Waco, and began to be fascinated with the science of weather, Doug became a sort of "idol" and role model for me. My weather interest would've probably waned were it not for the way he made it seem fun and fascinating. My Dad, a Waco Policeman, somehow managed to get Doug to call me on my 7th birthday. I was so stunned I could hardly say hello. It might as well had been the president on the phone. :o

Imagine my delight when i came down to Houston to go to college in '77 and find that Doug had moved here. :D I was "home" weatherwise.

I've missed him a lot, and am deeply saddened to know that I won't be seeing his weathercasts anymore...at least until "my time" comes, that is. I expect he will now be lobbying God to end this drought for good.

R.I.P. Mr. Brown
i grew up with Mr. Brown also,

only now i can see he has passed away, anyone has any Tv recording with him ?

thanks
  • Information