January: Increasing Clouds/Rain & Warmer To End Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
ticka1

@srainhoutx - you are a busy man today monitoring all the weather information! Hope you have a Happy 2012 and we see some exciting weather - now go take a nap and get back with us this afternoon.

Looks like we are in for some serious rainfall (which I love)! Then if we can just get that blasted artic air down here might bring us some of our beloved winter precipation.

Thanks for posting all you do srainhoutx - I'm slowly but surely learning to "read" the maps you post. Even at my old age I can still learn!!!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:@srainhoutx - you are a busy man today monitoring all the weather information! Hope you have a Happy 2012 and we see some exciting weather - now go take a nap and get back with us this afternoon.

Looks like we are in for some serious rainfall (which I love)! Then if we can just get that blasted artic air down here might bring us some of our beloved winter precipation.

Thanks for posting all you do srainhoutx - I'm slowly but surely learning to "read" the maps you post. Even at my old age I can still learn!!!
Nap? Hog wash! The Texans are playing this afternoon and I finally have something to cheer about after 18 long years...It been a long time since those "Love Ya Blue' days, dont you know!! :mrgreen:
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

srainhoutx wrote:
ticka1 wrote:@srainhoutx - you are a busy man today monitoring all the weather information! Hope you have a Happy 2012 and we see some exciting weather - now go take a nap and get back with us this afternoon.

Nap? Hog wash! The Texans are playing this afternoon and I finally have something to cheer about after 18 long years...It been a long time since those "Love Ya Blue' days, dont you know!! :mrgreen:
Yes it has been a LONG time since we had a playoff NFL team here in Houston! Yes I remember those Luv Ya Blue days! Hope we can have some Luv Ya Texans days now!!!!!!!

Is it warm enough for you today LOL?
JackCruz

:twisted: I like what I'm seeing Srain
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 12Z Euro/UKMet suggests the more southern track across Texas is likely with the upper low Sunday-Tuesday as we saw with the Canadian. The HPC preferred track is the southern most solution across Central Texas as well. Looking toward later next week, the Euro/UKMet suggest the cold front will pass Thursday, but big differences remain with the Euro as it slows/stalls the upper low off the California Coast while the UKMet is in agreement with the GFS/Canadian of a progression E that would have that feature near or just S of New Mexico...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

For those attending the Olympic Trails Marathon next Saturday, the HPC will not make any changes today and surface charts push the strong cold front through after the upper low passes on Wednesday night/early Thursday. These charts do not suggest and will not show any potential moisture and are only surface features (fronts/high pressure/low pressure)...

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Good so far. If it is in the low 40's or to middle 40's, perfect running weather. It would also be great if I did not have to slog through the rain. I am sure to get a workout that day anyway running from point to point.
Rich

Thanks for all the in-depth updates today Srain!! Definitely looks to be an interesting pattern change coming!! ;)
nuby3

SO hoping for good running conditions next sunday. My last 4 races were all hot and it even rained during the Houston Marathon last year. Low 40's would be PERFECT. There are so many tough things about running marathons. After 3 years of non-stop training it would be really nice to have some nice crisp weather this year so I can see what I'm made out of.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nuby3 wrote:SO hoping for good running conditions next sunday. My last 4 races were all hot and it even rained during the Houston Marathon last year. Low 40's would be PERFECT. There are so many tough things about running marathons. After 3 years of non-stop training it would be really nice to have some nice crisp weather this year so I can see what I'm made out of.
Good luck to you. I admire all marathoners. Being a 10Ker myself, I just cannot stomach nor do I want to run 26.2 miles. So far, it is shaping up to be a good weather weekend.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Midland/Odessa issues Winter Storm Watch for areas along and N of I-20 from Big Spring to Pecos and Alpine to Van Horn. HGX increases chatter regarding severe weather threat and heavy rainfall potential. Winter Storm Warnings issued for New Mexico.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lubbock issues Winter Storm Watch and Amarillo will consider Winter Weather Advisory if warranted for Monday. El Paso issues Winter Advisory for areas N and E of El Paso.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
biggerbyte

Now if we can just get that down here to El Houston.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

biggerbyte wrote:Now if we can just get that down here to El Houston.
The 18Z GFS is darn close for next Friday...;)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
biggerbyte

I really hope, for all of us, we get some winter precip. this winter. After all that dry blah crud, it is time we all got rewarded for our patience with mother nature. No? I need something besides doctor visits and MRI anyway. Let's celebrate that 2012 snowman. Icycles as big as our arm.

BB
JackCruz

biggerbyte wrote:I really hope, for all of us, we get some winter precip. this winter. After all that dry blah crud, it is time we all got rewarded for our patience with mother nature. No? I need something besides doctor visits and MRI anyway. Let's celebrate that 2012 snowman. Icycles as big as our arm.

BB

I hear you!!
niner21

SOOOOOOOO,

Given all you guys' analysis do you think I should get up early tomorrow (sunday) and grade my 2 lots over in Montgomery before we get tons of rain Sunday night or Monday?

I've got 2 jobs going and 3 piles of sand/ dirt sitting near the curb's and I don't want it all down in the streets. Also, I don't know if I can stand to wait a week for the mud to dry out so we can put in grass and landscaping (and run the tractor on it again).
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

niner21 wrote:SOOOOOOOO,

Given all you guys' analysis do you think I should get up early tomorrow (sunday) and grade my 2 lots over in Montgomery before we get tons of rain Sunday night or Monday?

I've got 2 jobs going and 3 piles of sand/ dirt sitting near the curb's and I don't want it all down in the streets. Also, I don't know if I can stand to wait a week for the mud to dry out so we can put in grass and landscaping (and run the tractor on it again).
Yes sir, I would. Why risk the chance when we see good agreement that rains/storms begin to fire up tomorrow afternoon/evening and transtion E. The boundary has already stalled in S TX and the Coastal low should get going later tomorrow. Good Luck!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
txsnowmaker

This seems to be shaping up to be a very good week for addressing droughts of all types around these parts, those relating to Houston NFL playoff wins and weather alike. ;) :D
sleetstorm

srainhoutx wrote:
biggerbyte wrote:Now if we can just get that down here to El Houston.
The 18Z GFS is darn close for next Friday...;)
Would that weather scenario not support sleet, sleet mixed with rain, or a rain snow mix for next Friday, srainhoutx? Also, by how many miles would it be close for next Friday?
  • Information