February Ends Warm and Dry

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TxMomof2

I live on 249 near Louetta, and there is ice on my truck right now. I can also confirm that there was a mix of rain and sleet (little bits of ice falling on my windshield?) at the Tomball Library about 30 minutes ago. However, the rain seems to have stopped here right now.

I'm a little nervous about how conditions will be when my daughter gets out of school and when my husband gets off work.
sm040480

sadness. I'm in the snow/ice hole. Green to my east, ice to my west but nada here.
michmich

We're shutting down at 2:00.
Txdreamer62

Texashawk wrote:My sister is reporting snow in Cypress right now (Grant/Jones).
I'm at Jones and Grant and precip. has stopped here. But there is quite a bit of ice on everything.

Oops...I spoke too soon....now getting light sleet.
Last edited by Txdreamer62 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snow flurries reported in College Station at this time.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Although there is some ice forming on exposed surfaces, it does look like some much drier air is moving in fast from the northwest. It will take another 2-3 hours for the drier air to move across the city, so if there are going to be any issues with ice on bridges it will be in the next few hours. Conditions should improve by 5pm, so sending employees home early may put them in more ice than if they go home at 5pm or later. That's particularly true if you live/work in NW and W parts of the city.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mr T..how is it in Kingwood/Humble? I am leaving here at 5 pm to get there. Just asking as of now. I think it is still above freezing, for now.
KatyGale

Hi all...I'm at Fry Rd and Little York. Just got home from work. The windows on my house that face North, are completed covered in ice. Icicles are forming on fences, trees, power lines, roofs...everything. To me.... there is more ice out here then there was last week. :o Some type of precip is still coming down. Roads still seem ok. Hope it stays that way. Glad I took a 1/2 day off from work. Stay safe everyone.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KatyGale wrote:Hi all...I'm at Fry Rd and Little York. Just got home from work. The windows on my house that face North, are completed covered in ice. Icicles are forming on fences, trees, power lines, roofs...everything. To me.... there is more ice out here then there was last week. :o Some type of precip is still coming down. Roads still seem ok. Hope it stays that way. Glad I took a 1/2 day off from work. Stay safe everyone.
The difference today is that temps are not as cold as last week and the roads haven't been exposed to temps 35 or lower 24 hrs a day for 2+ days before the rain.
vbhoutex

Just took a drive along the BW8 feeder roads in W Houston. We still have steady freezing drizzle coming down, but the roads and bridges seem to be in good shape at this time. I hope that drying starts pretty soon wxman!! Everything is getting glazed except the roads. Not as much ice in my area as last time yet. Temp seems to have settled at 29.5f for the time being.
Last edited by vbhoutex on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jeff, about a 1/8 inch of ice on trees and plants up here. Still some light freezing drizzle as well.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasBreeze

Trees and bushes and trucks have a coating of ice again.
kyzsl51

How accurate are weatherbug temperature readings? I always notice that they are colder than the actual temperature that is being reported by the NWS.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

I can confirm SN in Richmond at US 90 and FM 359 around 1145am. Great big flakes that lasted about 2 minutes. Glaze on the cars has IP in it also.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Appears 26/27 is the required temp to start icing over bridges per TXDOT reports out west in Waller and Washington counties
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thankfully the precip is coming to an end across the area. Street are beginning to dry in downtown Houston. At this point its better to stay at work and let the street dry out a bit as Wxman57 stated.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Agreed Katdaddy. I think the drying will steadily increase as the day wears on.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting some light flurries up here now.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bay City 13:32 Light Snow 34 34 100 N 15 G 26 30.13
  • Information