February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pflugerville report sleet/snow mix.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ThunderMan

Moderate Snow here in Round Rock (Where I work off of I35/620), no rain or sleet anymore. When I left home in NW Austin, it was a moderate sleet/rain mix.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Waco has changed to snow now.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

Thanks for the reports Srainhoutx...this is exciting - the anticipation...

I have a question - what are the dewpoints for the Houston area? Wxman57 was concerned about that yesterday - just curious if they are still high as that is what the models were forecasting...
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Upper Air disturbance is moving ESE in far W TX. Appears to be pulling in some Pacific moisture. Radar is filling in S of San Antonio now...

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/satelli ... g&itype=ir

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:Thanks for the reports Srainhoutx...this is exciting - the anticipation...

I have a question - what are the dewpoints for the Houston area? Wxman57 was concerned about that yesterday - just curious if they are still high as that is what the models were forecasting...

Here you ticka1... DP's in the mid to lower 30's across the area (green number below the temps)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
sleetstorm

srainhoutx, how can the current temperatures & dew points not be our friends this morning when some of us on this weather forum are reporting snow, sleet, snow mixed with sleet, and rain mixed with sleet, and rain mixed with snow? :?
Rich

Srain, do you feel our chances to see some snow have gone down since yesterday with the temps not falling as much and dewpoints remaining rather high, or do you feel we may still get some snow out of this? By the way im working in Jersey Village. :)
ThunderMan

Back to a light wintry mix here in Round Rock. Anyway, got to start working, will keep yall updated for this part of Austin!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Watch the reports folks. It's nowcasting time. The models are basically useless except for maybe the RUC and that is off as precip is changing over quicker than that model suggested. Now we watch and wait. ;)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rain/sleet/snow mix in DT Austin now.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
txsnowmaker

Folks in Houston metro, enjoy the white stuff later and don't worry folks, snow is on the way. FYI--posted on chron.com less than a couple hours ago:

(excerpt)

Snow system still on track for Houston metro area
(headline)

Houston remains on track to receive some late-winter snow this evening.

The forecasters note that if temperature forecasts are off just slightly, and temperatures are a few degrees cooler, we could get more snow than bargained for across the Houston area.

That's because the air in the atmosphere above about 1,500 feet is more than cold enough to support snow, and it's only a thin layer at ground level that is warm enough to melt the snow as it falls, or when it reaches the comparatively warm ground.

Source: http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/ ... t_141.html
biggerbyte

Folks, temps and dewpoints do not have to be freezing for it to snow. The dewpoint is an indicator of how much the temps can drop. If we have a temp of 35, with a dewpoint of 33, we would/could have falling snow that would not stick, either at all, or for very long. Again, it only has to freeze at the surface to stick, but I've seen snow falling with temps in the mid to upper forties.

We have to just wait and see how long the precip. hangs around as the day comes to a close and the temps and dewpoints fall.
We have two groups of thought here today. Snow that is falling, but does not stick, and that which does stick. Personally, I don't care either way. It is pretty to watch, none the less. If you don't care either, then don't worry about the temps and dewpoints. It is cold enough around here to give you one of the two.

Lastly, take a look at what is headed this way:

http://www.corad.org/texas_radar.htm

The white is all snow, while the tan is sleet.
Last edited by biggerbyte on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
redneckweather

I just got to the office (Rayford/Sawdust) and it is currently 42 degreess. It's hard to imagine that we could actually see snow today with temps currently in the lower 40's. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Redneck, what town are you in?

I'm out here just outside of Montgomery near Lake Conroe.
nuby3

it can snow in the 40's at the surface if the temps aloft are cold, which they are. It is not THAT hard to imagine...
Portastorm

srainhoutx wrote:Rain/sleet/snow mix in DT Austin now.
Trust me, it is much more rain than it is sleet. In fact, I have seen no snow yet. None! I just drove into downtown from my house (southwest of town). Everyone says it is coming but I don't see it yet.

I think I must be cursed! :roll:
biggerbyte

redneckweather wrote:I just got to the office (Rayford/Sawdust) and it is currently 42 degreess. It's hard to imagine that we could actually see snow today with temps currently in the lower 40's. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Redneck, what town are you in?

I'm out here just outside of Montgomery near Lake Conroe.

That temp is plenty cold enough for it to snow. Also, that is a shallow layer of warmer air. When the snow begins to fall, the surface temps will fall, and later today we could start to see some accumulation. Didn't anyone listen to what Mr. T was preaching yesterday????? He is right on.

The system is not here yet, folks. I don't think anyone predicted freezing temps and falling snow for the morning hours.
Chill! Changes are a comin'.

BB
redneckweather

Here is a text message from a buddy of mine a few minutes ago.

The snow is coming down big time here in Round Rock. I've never seen it snow like this around here.

And another friend of mine just now.

The flakes are huge coming down in Georgetown.
redneckweather

biggerbyte, I don't recall saying it wasn't going to snow because I'm pretty confident that it will. With temps being where they are currently, you wouldn't think snow was on the way. That is all. 8-)
kayci

redneckweather wrote:Here is a text message from a buddy of mine a few minutes ago.

The snow is coming down big time here in Round Rock. I've never seen it snow like this around here.

And another friend of mine just now.

The flakes are huge coming down in Georgetown.
I don't miss those days at all! I'm glad to be back on the coast. :)
  • Information