February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
wxman666

helloitsb wrote:@wxman666, we are pretty close to each other as the crow flies, are your streets/sidewalks freezing up?
Pretty much. Everything was affected by the light freezing rain so the roads are wet and slick, and hardening and my car is covered in very hard, slick ice. We are stuck.
Ready for severe weather season!!
TexasBreeze

It seems for us that band of precip by San Antonio is our "snow or no snow" key. Once it passes, it would probably be a done deal with clearing behind it.
weatherag
Pro Met
Pro Met

agreed with what has been said. upper low tracking to the east with returns now evident west of San Antonio and further west nearer the core of the upper low. still think we see a transition to sleet/snow as the upper low approaches and cools the column. Going to be a nasty commute for sure.
'There's a spirit can ne'er be told...'
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Vehicles trapped on flyovers at multiple locations.

at least 25 accidents ongoing over Harris County many involve multiple vehicles.

US 59 at SH 99 closed by Sugar Land PD.

Heavy ice accumulations on roads in Fort Bend County
HouTXmetro

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southplains_loop.php

it appears convection is back building from our NE....decent convection back building just NorthWest of Beaumont area.
ejburas

Brenham now reporting light snow.
ejburas

Mario was just on and is still calling for 1-3" of snow this morning.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

US 290 at SH 6-15 vehicle accident with cars continuing to impact vehicles with people on the freeway. Law enforcement attmepting to close the freeway. Major ice on the freeway...

5-18 wheelers jacked knifed at US 290 and Barker Cypress

People are going to die on these freeways...watching them slam into each other on the transtar cameras with law enforcment putting their lives at risk.

Stop driving...pull over aand stop.
biggerbyte

Folks, I have a surprise for you:

http://www.corad.org/texas_radar.htm

Let us see if that trend continues.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

I now jeff. This is going to be baddd in the morning!
Texashawk

I can tell you where I am, Fort Bend is going to have a hell of a morning issue tomorrow. The ice sheets on outside trashcans is almost 1/4 inch thick, and the curbs are starting to ice over.
TexasBreeze

jeff wrote:US 290 at SH 6-15 vehicle accident with cars continuing to impact vehicles with people on the freeway. Law enforcement attmepting to close the freeway. Major ice on the freeway...

People are going to die on these freeways...watching them slam into each other on the transtar cameras with law enforcment putting their lives at risk.

Wow and eventhough this event hasn't been "big" (as in accumulation amts) per say, the little ice accumulations on roads is quickly becoming a big deal. Glad I'm not traveling outside!
Last edited by TexasBreeze on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ejburas

It's already bad. I just hope no one dies or is seriously injured out there tonight.
Texashawk

Jeff,

Is TranStar going to go up an alert level if this ends up being a catastrophic ice event, as it is appearing to start to be? Just curious.
jeff wrote:US 290 at SH 6-15 vehicle accident with cars continuing to impact vehicles with people on the freeway. Law enforcement attmepting to close the freeway. Major ice on the freeway...

CAK

Looking at the radar, there is a distinct line just west of Austin, S/A. Once that passes is that all she wrote or will the low still pull moisture up underneath and along the coast?
djjordan

I want everyone that says this is a bust to understand that the risk to life and property is much more than whether you get snow or ice or what not. This is turning into a dangerous and life threatening situation on the roads as we speak and please have respect for that.
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Texashawk wrote:Jeff,

Is TranStar going to go up an alert level if this ends up being a catastrophic ice event, as it is appearing to start to be? Just curious.

Right now everyone is trying to keep road crews and law enforcement from being killed
Baseballdude2915

biggerbyte wrote:Folks, I have a surprise for you:

Great trend. Might gather moisture from the gulf and isolift should take effect.
We might have an event. Just might.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

jeff wrote:
Texashawk wrote:Jeff,

Right now everyone is trying to keep road crews and law enforcement from being killed
people will not slow down and are slamming into each other one after another.
singlemom

biggerbyte wrote:Folks, I have a surprise for you:

As in that band west of SA and Austin is growing? And is the Low still to the west of West Texas, and will the move through as well? Thanks!

*Edit* Baseballdude answered my question (Pretty much). But ooooh...that means snow on top of a layer of ice (well, all I see right now is water on my front porch and pretty dry streets.....)
  • Information