February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tano85

Just got a text from son who goes to U of H downtown campus. He is seeing flurries there now :D
Baseballdude2915

jeff wrote:Light ZR and IP in League City.
Freezing rain? Surface temps are at least a degree or two above freezing. How can that be?
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I think ( and I am not speaking for HCC) that for us, we have night classes. If this is indeed a 6 pm start to this event, the idea was to get folks home safe.
updraft

If you think about it, it's not so amazing that everyone is beginning to doubt the snow. Texans and especially Houstonians have been trained to become natural Optimistic Pessimist ... look who we've had for roll-models - the Houston Oilers, Astros, Rockets (except '94-'95) and Texans. ;-)

We always hope for the best, but expect the worst - and in this case, best = frz precipt, worst = bust.

As I always say before each sports season in Houston, "Have faith. Maybe this time ... " Patience is the key here. :D but then again, I've been waiting 10 years for a Texan Super Bowl ..... maybe next year ;-)
"Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning." - The late/great George Carlin
djjordan

Baseballdude2915 wrote:
Freezing rain? Surface temps are at least a degree or two above freezing. How can that be?
The ground is cold and has been subjected to below freezing temps for some time now .... The ground will freeze up pretty quickly with any precip that falls.
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

There are likley pockets of 32 or below in the areas where precip is reaching the ground. Official obs are 33 at Ellington and 34 at Hobby. IP was at the FO
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

updraft wrote:If you think about it, it's not so amazing that everyone is beginning to doubt the snow. Texans and especially Houstonians have been trained to become natural Optimistic Pessimist ... look who we've had for roll-models - the Houston Oilers, Astros, Rockets (except '94-'95) and Texans. ;-)

We always hope for the best, but expect the worst - and in this case, best = frz precipt, worst = bust.

As I always say before each sports season in Houston, "Have faith. Maybe this time ... " Patience is the key here. :D but then again, I've been waiting 10 years for a Texan Super Bowl ..... maybe next year ;-)
You are a genius! :lol:
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

tano85 wrote:Just got a text from son who goes to U of H downtown campus. He is seeing flurries there now :D
That is 5 miles from me. Hummmmm
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jeff wrote:There are likley pockets of 32 or below in the areas where precip is reaching the ground. Official obs are 33 at Ellington and 34 at Hobby. IP was at the FO
I would say that's a good report.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

jeff wrote:There are likley pockets of 32 or below in the areas where precip is reaching the ground. Official obs are 33 at Ellington and 34 at Hobby. IP was at the FO

Jeff,

When are you going to do a "PLO" ( Parking Lot Observation)?
Mr. T

djjordan wrote:
Baseballdude2915 wrote:
The ground is cold and has been subjected to below freezing temps for some time now .... The ground will freeze up pretty quickly with any precip that falls.
Also, if precip is falling, evaporative cooling effects will likely let the temp fall below freezing in those areas
TxLady

And speaking of "stirring the pot"...I've got the chicken boiling for a big pot of Chicken and Dumplings. We're going to need some "warming your soul kinda food" for later this evening, when we come in from playing in the snow. ;)

As for now, I can report it is really cold up here! :)
jabcwb2

PRECIPITATION TYPE: A MIX OF LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET IS EXPECTED OVER
MOST OF SOUTHEAST TEXAS. TO THE WEST OF A LINE FROM COLUMBUS TO
MAGNOLIA TO HUNTSVILLE TO CROCKETT...ALL SNOW IS EXPECTED. TO THE
EAST OF A LINE FROM SARGENT TO ANGLETON TO ANAHUAC...A MIX OF
RAIN...FREEZING RAIN...AND SLEET IS EXPECTED.

I am confused about this statement. Looks like a BIG gap between these lines. What are folks expecting who live/work in that "Big Gap" area?
PaulEInHouston

My station has 33.3 and falling. As for the precip down that way...http://wx.apxsolutionsinc.com/wxradarbaseref.php
kitkat77

PaulEInHouston wrote:If anyone has kids in Clear Creek ISD, it appears school cancelled tomorrow. My daughter just sent me a "Yippee, you were right Dad" text... :)

That is correct. Expect a district "robocall" soon. :)
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Based on the reports it appears radar dbz of at least 20-25 is needed for precip. to reach the ground. May start to see more reports over SE Harris as there are a few 20dbz heading in that direction
rnmm

Galveston schools are also closed tomorrow. As of right now, Texas City schools have not made an announcement about school being closed tomorrow so I guess our kids are going.
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Understood Jeff, as I am in SE Houston.
Poltracker

ticka1 wrote:Just got a text from a friend - that drove down Hwy 146 at Hwy 225 icy spots over the road (which is elevated). Its starting folks.
Last edited by Poltracker on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman

I certainly dont see northern harris county recieving 3 to 5 inches of snow... the moisture is east

correct me if im wrong...
Last edited by Snowman on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information