February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
ronyan

Temps sure aren't falling much yet, only dropped about 1 degree so far.
PaulEInHouston

AggieBuckeye wrote:
IMPRESSIVE... look at that moisture flowing in off the Pacific. This one is going to go big guys and gals.
Agreed with moisture return. ULL low winding up nicely as well...appears to be over Central NM with southward movement. Anyone care to chine in on what's happened to the "hinted" coastal low formation? Haven't heard much about that one recently...

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index ... thod=flash
indian1999

is it possible we can see some wintery precipitation tonight in Port Arthur?
AggieBuckeye

Look at the cloud formation coming off the Pacific onto the Baja Peninsula. You can already see some moisture forming.
SOFTBALLDAD

PaulEInHouston wrote:
AggieBuckeye wrote:
IMPRESSIVE... look at that moisture flowing in off the Pacific. This one is going to go big guys and gals.
Agreed with moisture return. ULL low winding up nicely as well...appears to be over Central NM with southward movement. Anyone care to chine in on what's happened to the "hinted" coastal low formation? Haven't heard much about that one recently...

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index ... thod=flash
Someone correct me but isnt that big red blod off the west coast our oh so friendly dry air that seems to always ruin these things
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

indian1999 wrote:is it possible we can see some wintery precipitation tonight in Port Arthur?
Tonight looks alright so far for Port Arthur. Moisture remains well offshore, but may slowly progress N as the night wears on, indian999. Welcome to you and all our SE TX/SW LA neighbors and beyond...

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
txsnowmaker

This is going to be quite an event to witness. I am still in a bit of disbelief that we are due for another round of snow in the area, our fourth in seven winters. This is a highly unusual pattern, and I certainly am not taking any of it for granted. With regard to what is coming, we may not see this kind of opportunity again in our lifetime (with freezing temps in place well ahead of the arrival of a system with such a large amount of moisture). Here's to whatever Mother Nature has in store for us in the next two days...
Last edited by txsnowmaker on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

the ULL is digging into Northern Mexico....yes that is dry air but thats not going to play a role in this......the temp is not dropping as fast as last night because of the cloud cover...it will though eventually.....
indian1999

from what i hear the beaumont/port arthur area may get the brunt of this winter storm...is that true?
JulieC

sambucol wrote:GCCISD in Baytown will dismiss early tomorrow. A decision will be made tomorrow regarding classes on Friday.
What a novel idea....actually letting people know what they plan to do instead of taking a "wait and see" approach. That way, parents can make plans for their kids instead of getting a sudden call at noon asking them to drop everything and come get their kids. Sure wish other school districts would follow this lead.

Julie
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

indian1999 wrote:from what i hear the beaumont/port arthur area may get the brunt of this winter storm...is that true?
Current graphic for Lake Charles. Freezing rain/sleet are‘t a good combination...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
clute28

Anyone know if were going to get another update from Jeff tonight?
jabcwb2

srainhoutx wrote:
indian1999 wrote:from what i hear the beaumont/port arthur area may get the brunt of this winter storm...is that true?
Current graphic for Lake Charles. Freezing rain/sleet are‘t a good combination...

Srain, will you do a graphic like this for the Houston area, please?
unome

clute28 wrote:Anyone know if were going to get another update from Jeff tonight?
they made a thread at the top of the page for them, last one was 6-something - that's where you need to check for the next one
helloitsb

jabcwb2 wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:

Srain, will you do a graphic like this for the Houston area, please?

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

unome wrote:
clute28 wrote:Anyone know if were going to get another update from Jeff tonight?
they made a thread at the top of the page for them, last one was 6-something - that's where you need to check for the next one

http://forums.khou.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=567

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

srainhoutx wrote:
unome wrote:

http://forums.khou.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=567
No more updates tonight... I do not see much change except the swing shift at NWS likely hoisting the warning. Will probably need to bump accumulations some in the morning. I am really tired and may end up the next two days at Transtar
AggieBuckeye

Well done Jeff... go get some rest.
helloitsb

jeff wrote:No more updates tonight... I do not see much change except the swing shift at NWS likely hoisting the warning. Will probably need to bump accumulations some in the morning. I am really tired and may end up the next two days at Transtar
thanks for all your input on the event Jeff rest up ;)
AggieBuckeye

Getting down to nutcuttin' nowcastin' time!! I'm stoked!!!! 8-)
  • Information