February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Baseballdude2915

clute28 wrote:Baseballdude.....what has to happen in order for that air to "cool" as u said...thank you !
All you have to do is give it time. After the onset of moisture, the columns will cool allowing everyone on here, including the coast, a chance of snow. It will take longer for us here in the coastal counties, so we will get a nasty mix and might experience ice as well. It will be falling as rain/sleet and the ground should be freezing. Meaning, travel nightmare POSSIBLY.

EDIT: We just had a near record for the forum. I saw 87 guests. Now dipped back down, probably blackouts. lol.
Last edited by Baseballdude2915 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texashawk

Hello, returning to the forums after an absence.

Serious question: My new company is supposed to have a big launch party Friday night in the Heights. We have invested a lot of time and money in this event and we are expecting a lot of people. However, I don't want to endanger people. It is supposed to run from 8-11:30 pm Friday night. Does anybody have any thoughts? I am leaning towards cancellation, as disappointing as that would be.
ronyan

We've climbed all the way up to 33.6 F with some sun coming out!
unome

Texashawk wrote:Hello, returning to the forums after an absence.

Serious question: My new company is supposed to have a big launch party Friday night in the Heights. We have invested a lot of time and money in this event and we are expecting a lot of people. However, I don't want to endanger people. It is supposed to run from 8-11:30 pm Friday night. Does anybody have any thoughts? I am leaning towards cancellation, as disappointing as that would be.
I would lean towards cancellation/reschedule
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome back Texashawk. As you can see the consensus is growing for a meaningful event across Houston and SE TX. This will likely be an icier event than we have seen in many years because of the much colder temps leading up to the event. I've been in your shoes and it is certainly no fun or cheap to deal with a cancellation, but safety may need to be considered as a priority. Tough call to make, I know, but if you have until tomorrow morning things may be a bit clearer as to how all this is going to unfold. Good Luck and again, welcome back.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
clute28

ronyan wrote:We've climbed all the way up to 33.6 F with some sun coming out!
Indeed...my poor dogs water bowl is frooze all the way to the bottom lol
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The precipitation will be over with by mid afternoon Friday, but there's no way to tell today or tomorrow just how bad the roads might be by Friday evening.
texasrattler
Location: Richmond, Fort Bend County (Grand Parkway & Mason Road)

Hopefully, CenterPoint hasn't been so busy with the rolling blackouts to remember to recall the fleet of repair crews they sent to Oklahoma yesterday to help with their winter weather-related outages!
FBHoustonWeather

Hello all... finally joined after just being a "guest" for so long. I try to pass along information to the Facebook community via a page called "Houston Weather" that usually has useful info from this board passed along to fans of that page.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moisture is on the increase across the Western Gulf at this hour...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

texasrattler wrote:Hopefully, CenterPoint hasn't been so busy with the rolling blackouts to remember to recall the fleet of repair crews they sent to Oklahoma yesterday to help with their winter weather-related outages!
I don't think we'll see any problems with downed power lines here. It takes a good 1/2" of ice accumulations to cause them problems, and I don't expect that kind of accumulation of freezing rain. The problems today are due to extreme power use, not damaged poles/lines.
jasons2k

Somehow I have managed now 32.5 in the sun.
redneckweather

We are up to 29 at my house now with sunshine. I still don't see us breaking the 32 mark.
jdman

Greetings from the frozen tundra of northern Montgomery County!!!

Looks like it's game on for tomorrow and Friday. Kids (and "big kids" like me!!) are likely to have a memorable 48 hours. Interesting to see if GFS and NAM come more in line with Euro and CMC solutions.

Later

JDM
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

wxman57 wrote:
texasrattler wrote:Hopefully, CenterPoint hasn't been so busy with the rolling blackouts to remember to recall the fleet of repair crews they sent to Oklahoma yesterday to help with their winter weather-related outages!
I don't think we'll see any problems with downed power lines here. It takes a good 1/2" of ice accumulations to cause them problems, and I don't expect that kind of accumulation of freezing rain. The problems today are due to extreme power use, not damaged poles/lines.
Weight of the ice on the tree limbs that then touch the powerlines will be the biggest issues. Evergreen trees (pines) which still have a lot of their surface area will acumulate a nice glaze.
AggieBuckeye

Correct me if I'm wrong Pro Mets....

But based on all of the models and the latest 18z NAM, we are looking likely for a 1-3 inch event in Greater Houston with isolated totals higher than 3 inches?

My house looks to be in the warpath, and I'm hoping for some banding in the Cypress/Spring area.
nuby3

jeff wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Weight of the ice on the tree limbs that then touch the powerlines will be the biggest issues. Evergreen trees (pines) which still have a lot of their surface area will acumulate a nice glaze.
I was wondering if a heavy coating of snow might remove any hangers leftover from Ike as well
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

AggieBuckeye wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong Pro Mets....

But based on all of the models and the latest 18z NAM, we are looking likely for a 1-3 inch event in Greater Houston with isolated totals higher than 3 inches?

My house looks to be in the warpath, and I'm hoping for some banding in the Cypress/Spring area.
Yes...NAM and GFS are trending wetter and toward the old CMC solution. Could challange the 4.4 inches in 1960. Meso bands will really dump on some areas. Historic event shaping up for the entire region.
jdman

Jeff, what's you best estimate as to start time for event tomorrow? Obviously has huge implications for school/work/travel issues. Especially for those that still think event will hold off and begin Thursday night!!
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Would also note that NAM has been showing convective precip on its last few runs...Could be some 1-2 inche per hour rates under that.
  • Information