January Weather Discussion: Slight Chance Severe Storms

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

So many people online and all I hear is crickets...it's okay to submit posts on here, guys/gals :lol:
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candy Cane wrote:So many people online and all I hear is crickets...it's okay to submit posts on here, guys/gals :lol:
I'm waiting on the 00z. Not much to post when the cold air hasn't even formed over NW Canada yet... :D

I enjoy your enthusiasm Candy Cane. Lets hope we aren't disappointed.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Andrew wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:So many people online and all I hear is crickets...it's okay to submit posts on here, guys/gals :lol:
I'm waiting on the 00z. Not much to post when the cold air hasn't even formed over NW Canada yet... :D

Well in this biz, either you have to be really dull and boring and NEVER get excited about anything or you get disappointed over and over and over and over and over until one day, you realize that record-breaking anomalies just don't happen that often...I haven't learned that yet apparently. LOL. HOWEVER, if and only if it snows on Sunday, that would be stunning: 3 years in a row for snow. Never happened before. But that's a BIG if.
helloitsb

@Candy Cane Frank on Channel 2 did mention what your buddy said but he only mentioned the possibility of sleet
Last edited by helloitsb on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

helloitsb wrote:@Candy_Cane Frank on Channel 2 did mention what your buddy said but he only mentioned the possibility of sleet
That's because Frank and I are buddies, too! LOL. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow actually.
helloitsb

Candy Cane wrote:
helloitsb wrote:@Candy_Cane Frank on Channel 2 did mention what your buddy said but he only mentioned the possibility of sleet
That's because Frank and I are buddies, too! LOL. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow actually.
Thats cool!
mwbwhorton

Hello all new member here just saying hello to everyone i live in ne louisiana about 25 miles from ark line boy the DGEX 192 hour forecast is a real teaser shows 12-15 inches to my north with a sharp cutoff near the state line.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candy Cane wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Well in this biz, either you have to be really dull and boring and NEVER get excited about anything or you get disappointed over and over and over and over and over until one day, you realize that record-breaking anomalies just don't happen that often...I haven't learned that yet apparently. LOL. HOWEVER, if and only if it snows on Sunday, that would be stunning: 3 years in a row for snow. Never happened before. But that's a BIG if.

Yea I am probably going to be the same way. I don't think you should change that aspect about yourself. Just don't let it influence your forecasting abilities.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

mwbwhorton wrote:Hello all new member here just saying hello to everyone i live in ne louisiana about 25 miles from ark line boy the DGEX 192 hour forecast is a real teaser shows 12-15 inches to my north with a sharp cutoff near the state line.

Welcome mwbwhorton. Glad to see you posting on the forum. One little note about the DGEX is like the NOGAPS model, they are not exactly the most reliable models. While that COULD happen, I seriously doubt we would see that much moisture with the low. Keep the post coming. :D
mwbwhorton

As far as the dgex is concerned i know it not the best but still we are expecting a wintry mix and it doesn't take much of that to cause travel headaches.....
biggerbyte

Ten inches of snow equals one inch of rain. This seems to be the standard I've always heard. But keep in mind it would matter what "kind" of snow is it? If it's heavy (wet) snow, it may only be 2-4" to make 1" of water. If it's dry, fluffy snow, it could take up to 30" to equal 1" of water.

A common measurement used in the US is 10 inches of snow to 1 inch of rain. However, this is not accurate all the time. It varies greatly depending on the moisture content of the snow. Usually the colder it is, the less moisture is in the snow. Under these circumstances, you can obtain more snow from 1 inch of rain than 10 inches.

It does not take a lot of moisture to create some fun around here. Since we all would settle for a dusting, or even a few fun flakes, very little would in fact be needed.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

mwbwhorton wrote:As far as the dgex is concerned i know it not the best but still we are expecting a wintry mix and it doesn't take much of that to cause travel headaches.....

Yea I believe a wintry mix is worst than snow. Got to hate that ice. Goodluck over there. Keep us informed when the cold air gets there.
mwbwhorton

if we get snow it will be an evaporational cooling deal and heavy wet snow with large chunky flakes i feel....
ronyan

mwbwhorton wrote:if we get snow it will be an evaporational cooling deal and heavy wet snow with large chunky flakes i feel....
Well that's what occurred down here with the great Christmas Eve snowstorm. Don't expect it to be THAT good though.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

In total there are 41 users online :: 10 registered, 1 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 70 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Feel free to join :) You will have a good time.
brazoria121

ronyan wrote:
mwbwhorton wrote:if we get snow it will be an evaporational cooling deal and heavy wet snow with large chunky flakes i feel....
Well that's what occurred down here with the great Christmas Eve snowstorm. Don't expect it to be THAT good though.
There taking about getting snow north of us bro we probally wont get anything around where we are. ..Clute and lakejackson
Mr. T

The 18z GFS has the 0c 850 line well into Oklahoma and Arkansas during the entire event this weekend. I don't really understand this "snow event"...
randybpt

I agree mr t im looking at forecast around the area.north of 105 and temps.woulld have to bust by 20 degrees just to get close to ha ring snow. Lot of wishcasting. This is just going to be an ordinary january cold front. Nothing bitter. No freezing temps for.days we may not even get a hard.freeze. just another long range model tease WE ALL FELL FOR AGAIN...
sleetstorm

You never know, brazoria121. I pray that all of southeast Texas does receive sleet and snow off and on during next weeks arctic wave with highs in the thirties and twenties. A tsunami of sub freezing and subzero readings.
CAK

Where is the users online list located?
  • Information