January Weather Discussion: Slight Chance Severe Storms

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
ticka1

Candy Cane wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:The 12Z Euro is going to start some chatter, I suspect. More in a bit. ;)
You big tease. I know how to contact you, Steve. Don't make me....LOL!
Candy Cane - tell SRainhoutex thats just plain mean! CONTACT HIM! Lol
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

This run is a LOT colder than 00z. You can clearly see the -20 isotherm all over CO, WY and MT. Since those elevations out west are already at or above 850 mb, that translates to surface temps of -30F!
snowman65

Candy Cane wrote:This run is a LOT colder than 00z. You can clearly see the -20 isotherm all over CO, WY and MT.
Huh???...I don't see anything...what are you looking at?..Don't just tease us...put a link or something ;)
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

snowman65 wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:This run is a LOT colder than 00z. You can clearly see the -20 isotherm all over CO, WY and MT.
Huh???...I don't see anything...what are you looking at?..Don't just tease us...put a link or something ;)
On the bottom right box (hr. 144), you can see the extent of the -20C isotherms in CO, WY, and MT. Since those elevations are already at or above 850 anyway, that translates to surface temps nearing -30F. That is WAY colder than 00z.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ECMW ... floop.html
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alright, from waht I see we have a 1060mb Arctic high settling into MT and sliding further S near the 216 time frame. Also of note is the large amount of very cold air building in Canada.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Anybody else notice the -20C isotherm pushing into Oklahoma and Texas panhandles? Has that ever happened before? I've never seen it. LOL

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ECMW ... floop.html
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just received a text...1071mb NW AK...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:Just received a text...1071mb NW AK...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Houston, we could have a SERIOUS problem.
ticka1

Which means the cold air is now in Alaska and heading this way?
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

But keep in mind that pressure is WAY up in AK. It's not that kind of pressure that is pushing into Montana. So let's keep our heads about this....and I'm referring mainly to me.
brazoria121

could someone let me know by friday the latest if this cold is comming.. i have cattle that i have to get put up if its going to get as cold as yall are saying it might
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

brazoria121 wrote:could someone let me know by friday the latest if this cold is comming.. i have cattle that i have to get put up if its going to get as cold as yall are saying it might
The problem is we know it's going to get cold, we just don't know the severity of it. It could range from low teens and single digits to mid 20s. It's all about the actual strength of the high, location, upper-level flow, clouds and wind. Honestly, we're not going to be able to gauge temps until a day or two before the event.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

That must be a model forecast for next week. Current pressures in NW AK are below 990mb with temps well above zero (9F-16F).
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:
That must be a model forecast for next week. Current pressures in NW AK are below 990mb with temps well above zero (9F-16F).
It is. Between 216-240 Hours.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:

I think srain was posting the euro pressure.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

So we have three global models that have, in some fashion, showed a big arctic outbreak for about a week now. The pressures have consistently hovered around 1060-1070 mb range with a certain degree of variance depending on models and times run. All in all, I'd say we better get to Lowe's why there are supplies on the shelves.
biggerbyte

The BIG 2011 chill. Yes, like with a potential hurricane, it is a good idea to start making plans now for a very cold outbreak. If you wait until we can get verification at the end of this week, you could seriously regret it. The local news stations are talking about the potential, so prudent folks will not wait. If nothing happens after all... You were the smart one. Nothing worse than sitting around with no supplies over an assumption.
BiggieSmalls

Based on what we know, what is more likely; the cold air slipping more east, or the cold air getting here as predicted but not being all that cold after all? Just asking since so many of these advertised events don't pan out....
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bastardi: January Could be Coldest for U.S. since 1980s
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/s ... oldest.asp

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information