January 2024

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

it looks like the GFS has another system behind this one with an additional shot of arctic air, ICON highs in the teens🥶🥶🥶🥶
MontgomeryCoWx

Rex block long range is what we would see in a moderate Nina. Wow
Team #NeverSummer
snowman65

models dont know what they want to do lol.
MontgomeryCoWx

snowman65 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:11 am models dont know what they want to do lol.
They do with temps.

A ICON/Euro/CMC makes the most sense in terms of timing and energy but we won’t know more until the energy comes ashore and is sampled better.

An ICON/Euro blend would be a doozy
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:17 pm Nat Gas going bonkers.
BUY on NG futures. ;)
user:null

jasons2k wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:55 amAt this point I just need some more buckets because my Tii, Bird of Paradise, etc. collection is larger now. I pop them out of the ground and keep them in the garage in buckets. Some stuff like the red cloaks are too big and will just have to grow back.
It's pointless. Everything will be decimated and destroyed, cause the power will go out again (hopefully you have a generator).

Only saving grace this time (as of time of writing) is that precip doesn't look as intense as in Feb 21'

Otherwise, looks like the state is cursed. Time to buy real estate in South Florida or Hawaii (or lowland Arizona and California if you don't mind desert or med climates).
MontgomeryCoWx

user:null wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:20 am
jasons2k wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:55 amAt this point I just need some more buckets because my Tii, Bird of Paradise, etc. collection is larger now. I pop them out of the ground and keep them in the garage in buckets. Some stuff like the red cloaks are too big and will just have to grow back.
It's pointless. Everything will be decimated and destroyed, cause the power will go out again (hopefully you have a generator).

Only saving grace this time (as of time of writing) is that precip doesn't look as intense as in Feb 21'

Otherwise, looks like the state is cursed. Time to buy real estate in South Florida or Hawaii (or lowland Arizona and California if you don't mind desert or med climates).

I went the Montana route. :)
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

I have Siberian, Oregonian and Alaskan green seeds. I may put Christmas lights on my greens and spinach and peas.

Siberian Kale should be fine
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

Whatever happens moisture and precip. wise, it's going to be cold.

As far as the grid, back in the day in NC we'd get a week of winter weather where the high was below freezing very year. A nearby small lake would freeze over. If there had been snow or ice, the roads were virtually undrivable...but the power never went out.

I don't have much faith in ERCOT, but I kept our house warm in 2021 with our NG fireplace and the stove. I had the burner on to medium, and half of the burners were boiling water. We have a couple of space heaters for when power was on between rolling blackouts.
DoctorMu

We'll just move back to NC where we could handle, snow, ice, frigid cold...except on the roads - you're on your own there! :lol:
Cromagnum

After yesterday's storm knocked my power out, I lost power again twice last night, and now it's out again all day. My neighborhood is completely screwed next week. What makes it really bad is no power also means no water since our community well backup generator never gets turned on by the service company.
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 am

We'll just move back to NC where we could handle, snow, ice, frigid cold...except on the roads - you're on your own there! :lol:
I don’t have as a pessimist outlook. For one, my garden recovered after 2021 just fine. Yes, it took some time but eventually everything came back. It’s disappointing to see so many fan palms and date palms around the area were lost, but it is what it is. Not much has changed since then. Another deep freeze at this point wouldn’t change much.

Also, I don’t foresee power issues like we had. I think ERCOT learned some lessons in 2021 and won’t let that happen again.

We already have a place waiting for us in Dunedin, Florida. We will be splitting more of our time there as the boys finish school, etc.
Stratton20

Abc13 just said no arctic outbreak for houston, just a glancing blow, just one night below freezing🤣🤣🤣 and thats why i stopped taking news station seriously a long time ago
brazoriatx

Stratton20 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:22 pm Abc13 just said no arctic outbreak for houston, just a glancing blow, just one night below freezing🤣🤣🤣 and thats why i stopped taking news station seriously a long time ago
And they won a Emmy for best weather cast lol
djmike

Looks like many stations are calling for just a glancing blow. A one nighter of extreme temps. Im sure they are tip toeing before they pull the trigger since we are still 7 days out.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
JDsGN

To be fair to Travis and ABC13, this isn't the "Polar Vortex" and that's what he was mostly responding to last week. As far as glancing blow, we are still a week out and if i had to wager money... We live in Houston and its always a safer bet on it being warmer than models show a week out. I hope we get some good cold weather and some form of wintry precipitation but Id bet on it not being 5 days of below freezing temps for SE Texas like some models are showing.
Stratton20

Quite the opposite lol, with arctic airmasses, the models are almost always too warm, globals were 5-10 degrees too warm with the February 2021 outbreak, id bank on a couple days below freezing in in se texas
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:57 am
DoctorMu wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 am

I don’t have as a pessimist outlook. For one, my garden recovered after 2021 just fine. Yes, it took some time but eventually everything came back. It’s disappointing to see so many fan palms and date palms around the area were lost, but it is what it is. Not much has changed since then. Another deep freeze at this point wouldn’t change much.

Also, I don’t foresee power issues like we had. I think ERCOT learned some lessons in 2021 and won’t let that happen again.

We already have a place waiting for us in Dunedin, Florida. We will be splitting more of our time there as the boys finish school, etc.
As far as horticulture, we're fine up on CLL. The soil and water are too alkaline for tropical plants. The summers are too brutal, and we average 13 freezes a year.

So, azaleas and palm trees are out, but boxwoods, live oaks, roses, red leaf photinias, and crepe myrtles do well.
DoctorMu

JDsGN wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:56 pm To be fair to Travis and ABC13, this isn't the "Polar Vortex" and that's what he was mostly responding to last week. As far as glancing blow, we are still a week out and if i had to wager money... We live in Houston and its always a safer bet on it being warmer than models show a week out. I hope we get some good cold weather and some form of wintry precipitation but Id bet on it not being 5 days of below freezing temps for SE Texas like some models are showing.
Cold, dense air almost always overperforms in College Station.
Stratton20

Euro is trending colder and slower with the system, has some light snow in the houston metro, just need that system to dig a bit more and the. we are in business
  • Information