January 2024

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cromagnum

Wouldn't be surprised if the cell between Friendswood and Pasadena gets warned soon.

don

Stay weather aware, these streamer showers are already showing signs of rotation on the radar.
MontgomeryCoWx

Shocked no one has mentioned the Euro and snow into Houston next week.
Team #NeverSummer
dp6

Hobby, Sugar Land, and Hooks Airport reporting sites have all been down since 00:53 this morning.
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 am Shocked no one has mentioned the Euro and snow into Houston next week.
I kinda feel like some people are over it due to all the up and down mood swings lately. But yeah, even on S2K no one is talking about it.
snowman65

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 am Shocked no one has mentioned the Euro and snow into Houston next week.
I havent seen that one...
djmike

Getting really concerned here in the triangle and beaumont area on todays severe weather event. Love me some bad weather, but tornados I can do without. We are now smack dab in the center for the latest upgrade. Hopefully today will turn out ok. Stay safe everyone! Once we get passed today, Im sure people will start focusing on the winter weather again.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
MontgomeryCoWx

Well I’m headed to my 7th collegiate national championship tonight. I hope it doesn’t get severe.

I just don’t get geeked up for Severe weather (this time of year) unless it’s Summer time and we need a reprieve from our normal shitty weather programming during those months.
Team #NeverSummer
Cromagnum

MCD just went up for the northern half of our area for possible hail.
biggerbyte

I can feel so much disappointment coming. Watch for this "event" to be centered around North Texas and somewhat progressive. That mentality has not changed since day one. If you at all wonder why our local Mets, and even the NWS aren't feeling it.... As always, that's subject to change. Lookout for Ice around Houston if things turn for the worst.
Cromagnum

biggerbyte wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:18 am I can feel so much disappointment coming. Watch for this "event" to be centered around North Texas and somewhat progressive. That mentality has not changed since day one. If you at all wonder why our local Mets, and even the NWS aren't feeling it.... As always, that's subject to change. Lookout for Ice around Houston if things turn for the worst.
The deep freeze can stay north as far as I'm concerned. I'm in no hurry to replace my citrus trees for the 3rd time in 4 years.
MontgomeryCoWx

biggerbyte wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:18 am I can feel so much disappointment coming. Watch for this "event" to be centered around North Texas and somewhat progressive. That mentality has not changed since day one. If you at all wonder why our local Mets, and even the NWS aren't feeling it.... As always, that's subject to change. Lookout for Ice around Houston if things turn for the worst.
Precip is just icing for me. I enjoy the cold. And you are right, this type of setup is definitely ice not snow.

With that said, I won’t even be here during the height of the cold. I’ll be around zero in KC.
Team #NeverSummer
Cromagnum

Stolen from S2K
If you are new to Texas, we are about to experience “Texas Winter”. This is 6 or 7 days of cold, maybe some ice and snow. Pete Delkus will threaten snow. It may snow, it may not and if Pete says 2 inches it could be 10 or it could be 1/2”. It doesn’t matter how much snow it is, we’ll all freak out because we don’t see snow often.
The threat of snow (or ice) from good ol’ Pete is your prompt to head to the grocery store and buy milk, eggs and bread. It doesn’t matter if you need these items. It’s just what we do. Everyone in town will be there.

You’ll also need to make a mad dash for faucet covers and finding them and getting out of the store will be like an episode of the hunger games. You’re in the redneck district.

Don’t look for a sled. You won’t find one. In the rare chance we get enough ice or snow to sled grab some cardboard or a trash can lid and go find the nearest hill. Yes, we know it’s not a hill. You live in the flatland, just go with it. You’ll be alarmed by the fact that you’re “sledding” towards a bar ditch, fence or maybe into a farm to market road.

Just go with it.
You’ll be fine.

We don’t have equipment to handle the winter and weather. The roads will be a mess and even though the state has been telling you for a week they’re ready, they’re not and it won’t work. Just stay home if you can and if you can’t just come to terms with the fact that nobody here knows how to drive in snow and ice.

Whatever you do, DO NOT talk about snow tires.

If you happen to slide off the road or get stuck, turn your flashers on, take a deep breath and wait. Two guys in a four wheel drive truck will be along in no time to offer assistance. Don’t try to help them, they live for this stuff, and will do what they can to get you back on the road. If either one of them screams “hey y’all watch this” just get back and get your phone out and start recording, you’ll probably have a viral video.

Also of note, when they offer you beer and deer sticks, don’t be rude, take them and smile.

No matter what you do, don’t talk about how they did it back home in any of these scenarios.

Nobody cares.

You live in Texas now.

Texans know they live in the greatest state in the country and it’s our way or the highway.

When we act like we’re going to die and start to complain about the 7 days of winter just shut up, we’re serious and we don’t care how much you love it.

We don’t.

You’ll be back in shorts and flip flops in a week to ten days and it’ll be nice until right around Easter.

Texas “second winter” will be 2 or 3 days and will hit right around Easter, usually the week before or the week after. This will hit right around the time you plant flowers and a garden.

We know you’re not from around here when we see you’ve planted flowers before Easter and before the “second winter” has hit.

This is why all the people at the nursery don’t sound like us when you’re shopping for plants.

We know better.

During second winter it’ll go from 70 to 25 and you’ll experience all four seasons in one day.

This too shall pass, get used to it and when second winter is over you can enjoy the 3-4 weeks of “spring” before summer gets here and it’ll be melt your face off hot until sometime around Halloween.
don

GFS getting close to showing an "Ana Front" winter storm setup fwiw.

Cpv17

don wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 am GFS getting close to showing an "Ana Front" winter storm setup fwiw.

Good thing is that’s 168 hours out and we have plenty of time to work on the precip part.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

don wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 am GFS getting close to showing an "Ana Front" winter storm setup fwiw.

Don, if you could, please show us how you are able to load images. :)
Pas_Bon

Conditions in and around the HOU metro are proving to be more conducive for severe weather today. The highest risk today will be east of the metro area into the Golden Triangle and South Louisiana (mostly south of Interstate 10) throughout the late afternoon/evening/nighttime hours.
Stay alert today, SETX/SWLA folks.

I made the choice to bring my dogs to work with me today in League City (I never need much cajoling for that), chiefly due to one of the dogs having extreme anxiety pertaining to inclement weather (I know most have it, but she takes it to a new level).

Stay safe.
Last edited by Pas_Bon on Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
snowman65

tireman4 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:07 am

yeah... Im not able to attach any images...
snowman65

Pas_Bon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:08 am Conditions in and around the HOU metro today are proving to be more conducive for severe weather. The highest risk today will be east of the metro area into the Golden Triangle and South Louisiana (mostly south of Interstate 10) throughout the late afternoon/evening/nighttime hours.
Stay alert today, SETX/SWLA folks.
I'm in Orange and watching very closely....
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:09 am
tireman4 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:07 am

yeah... Im not able to attach any images...
I’ve been using this site for a couple years now to attach images:

https://postimages.org/

Works fine for me.
  • Information