October 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cromagnum

Pouring buckets at work.
Cpv17

I’ve seen flood watches issued a couple times at my location over the past few months or so but I don’t think I’ve seen a flash flood watch or warning issued in a very very long time. I just don’t ever recall seeing flood watches issued before till recently. Thought maybe it was something new.
Cromagnum

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:56 pm I’ve seen flood watches issued a couple times at my location over the past few months or so but I don’t think I’ve seen a flash flood watch or warning issued in a very very long time. I just don’t ever recall seeing flood watches issued before till recently. Thought maybe it was something new.
Saw FF watches and warnings all the time growing up.
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:56 pm I’ve seen flood watches issued a couple times at my location over the past few months or so but I don’t think I’ve seen a flash flood watch or warning issued in a very very long time. I just don’t ever recall seeing flood watches issued before till recently. Thought maybe it was something new.
I know what you’re saying. I don’t recall seeing “Flood watches” either until the last few years. Growing up it was always/only Flash Flood Watches from what I remember.

Same thing with “Wind Advisories” - they used to just be “lake wind advisories”
don

Yep ive noticed the same thing also in regards to the flood watches.It use to always be flash flood watches that were issued. Also more rain moving in from the Gulf,stay weather aware as models show more rounds of heavy rain over the next 24-48 hours.
Pas_Bon

don wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:03 pm Yep ive noticed the same thing also in regards to the flood watches.It use to always be flash flood watches that were issued. Also more rain moving in from the Gulf,stay weather aware as models show more rounds of heavy rain over the next 24-48 hours.
I often deeply lament the mentality of the "they always issue watches or warnings and nothing happens" crowd, but I honestly agree with them on Flash Flood Warnings.

I have been under many a Flash Flood Warning and have honestly never seen a Flash Flood first-hand. Of course, I'm never really out and about during those times, but I tend to default to just wanting to shrug it off when I see one come across. Not recommended, I know, but still.
Pas_Bon

***duplicate post***
Last edited by Pas_Bon on Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pas_Bon

Pas_Bon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:38 pm
Pas_Bon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:38 pm
don wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:03 pm Yep ive noticed the same thing also in regards to the flood watches.It use to always be flash flood watches that were issued. Also more rain moving in from the Gulf,stay weather aware as models show more rounds of heavy rain over the next 24-48 hours.
I often deeply lament the mentality of the "they always issue watches or warnings and nothing happens" crowd, but I honestly agree with them on Flash Flood Warnings.

I have been under many a Flash Flood Warning and have honestly never seen a Flash Flood first-hand. Of course, I'm never really out and about during those times, but I tend to default to just wanting to shrug it off when I see one come across. Not recommended, I know, but still.

I know I'm just fortunate and grateful and I know that Flash Floods occur and often do not end well for those caught in them, but thine eyes hath ne'er laid upon one.
don

This rain is very tropical,im already at 1.25 inches today.
Cromagnum

I guess I should have spread dirt sooner this year. Absolute gully washer all day and firing up again. Pretty sure it's going to wash away most of my hard work.
jasons2k

Looks like I should finally get one of the heavier bands if it holds together along the 45 North corridor. I just heard some distant thunder too.
don

The rain is starting to train again. I'm now at 2 inches! The driving force for these bands of tropical rains is a weak area of low pressure (meso low).That moved in from the Gulf. It is currently sitting around Waller/Ft Bend counties.And helping to fetch moisture from the Gulf.
Cpv17

don wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:25 pm The rain is starting to train again. I'm now at 2 inches! The driving force for these bands of tropical rains is a weak area of low pressure (meso low).That moved in from the Gulf. It is currently sitting around Waller/Ft Bend counties.And helping to fetch moisture from the Gulf.
Just got home from work and we haven’t gotten jack over here 🙄
DoctorMu

Storms training to the east of us. There has been only a drizzle so far, but cloudy skies and cooler temps are welcome. 15°F cooler than yesterday with temps around 84°F.

We are getting some backbuilding on the radar towards College Station - hoping for the best. I watered the lawn last night, so we have a chance! lol
DoctorMu

don

I received 2.40 inches of rain today.😊There will be another wave of moisture from the Gulf tomorrow.Followed by a MCS on Thursday with the frontal passage.
jasons2k

Approaching 1” here. And it didn’t all fall at once. Much needed rainfall for sure.
Cpv17

The end of the 12z Euro looks interesting.
don

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:13 pm The end of the 12z Euro looks interesting.
Yep,models are showing some kind of pacific crossover into the western gulf around the middle of the month.Feels like the wet El Nino pattern is finally starting to kick in.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So far 1.25" with a happy yard.
  • Information