August 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
user:null

weatherguy425 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:04 amThe drought is pretty extensive throughout extreme southeast Texas and southern Louisiana. KIAH had a wet April and May before the really hot and dry stuff kicked in.
Yea, records being challenged or even broken through Louisiana: New Iberia, Lafayette, Alexandria, Baton Rouge, etc. Even New Orleans and coastal Mississippi had some streaks.

This HP is indeed a monster. That is why, on behalf of Houston CWA, I put aside my differences and declared a truce with the eastern neighbors. We need all the magic we can get for this.

Showers are already in our Gulf viewing sector

*RAIN DANCE INTENSIFIES*
djmike wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 amIm trying as hard as I can. Getting tired of dancing. Lol
Unfortunately, us in Beaumont are matching whatever Houston gets. Extreme heat with no rain. Actually Houston has the better chance of catching an extreme outermost band than Beaumont does from this system. Id give anything for a 2 min rainfall right about now. Until then, Ill just keep doing the rain dance while this HP just laughs at me.
Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:00 am Are things really that bad in Beaumont? You guys banked a ton of rain earlier in the season when the rest of us didnt get crap.
don

weatherguy425 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:04 am
Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:00 am Are things really that bad in Beaumont? You guys banked a ton of rain earlier in the season when the rest of us didnt get crap.
The drought is pretty extensive throughout extreme southeast Texas and southern Louisiana. KIAH had a wet April and May before the really hot and dry stuff kicked in.
Yep, when it was wet in the Houston metro area around May and on and off in June,the Golden Triangle was getting dry slotted.
Cromagnum

don wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 am
The drought is pretty extensive throughout extreme southeast Texas and southern Louisiana. KIAH had a wet April and May before the really hot and dry stuff kicked in.
Yep, when it was wet in the Houston metro area around May and on and off in June,the Golden Triangle was getting dry slotted.
Am I crazy, or didn't Beaumont and Orange get quite a few rounds in late June and July that snuck over the border?
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:56 am Fowler throwing in the towel.
.LONG TERM...
(Wednesday through Sunday)
Issued at 233 AM CDT Mon Aug 21 2023

The stretch of dangerous heat and humidity will continue through
the long term as the ridge of high pressure builds over Texas.
Expect afternoon high temperatures along and north of I-10 to be
in the 103 to 109 degree range into the weekend with areas along
the coast in the 95 to 100 degree range. Excessive Heat Warnings
and Heat Advisories will likely be needed through Sunday.
Overnight lows continue to be in the upper 70s to low or mid 80s.

There is maybe a sliver of hope for a slight reprieve over the
weekend as the ridge of high pressure slowly slides towards the
Desert Southwest. This may allow for some weak shortwaves to
slide into Texas bringing a very slight chance of showers or
thunderstorms. But, we have been burned by this false hope of
better weather on Days 6 and 7 of the forecast period multiple
times this summer. And even if we do manage to squeeze out a
shower or two from these shortwaves, they won`t do much to help,
if any, our rapidly deteriorating drought conditions.

Fowler
I can feel the air coming out of his balloon...
don

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:07 am

Am I crazy, or didn't Beaumont and Orange get quite a few rounds in late June and July that snuck over the border?
I'm not sure about June, but in July they did get a few rounds of storms that most of us missed.
Last edited by don on Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

Mike reported a flood a week I thought. 8-)

Sucks for everyone now.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

In the end, everyone is dry. Sometimes your house gets hit and your neighbors doesn’t. The next week? The opposite. Overall, though, the faucet has been off since early July.
Attachments
B3ABED8C-4F60-4309-BB90-10CC95CDCC4F.jpeg
Cromagnum

I don't believe the NWS current forecast of 60% chance of rain with thunderstorms likely for Brazoria County. Of course Charlie Brown doesn't run at the football till later tonight. Plenty of time for Lucy to yank it.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:10 am I don't believe the NWS current forecast of 60% chance of rain with thunderstorms likely for Brazoria County. Of course Charlie Brown doesn't run at the football till later tonight. Plenty of time for Lucy to yank it.
60% = scattered. There will probably be scattered passing downpours across Brazoria and Matagorda Counties.
djmike

My gosh. Just having a little fun. Most storms died before reaching the triangle. And that was like 2 months ago. We are suffering as well. Yea some areas have been without much longer but we are ALL suffering.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:10 am I don't believe the NWS current forecast of 60% chance of rain with thunderstorms likely for Brazoria County. Of course Charlie Brown doesn't run at the football till later tonight. Plenty of time for Lucy to yank it.
Look over towards New Orleans. The bands should get up to a similar latitude over here. There is a sliver of hope for something as the moisture pushes in.

That's why you must joing me in supporting djmike with the "Beaumont magic."

*RAIN DANCE INTENSIFIES*
jasons2k wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:14 amLook over towards New Orleans. The bands should get up to a similar latitude over here. There is a sliver of hope for something as the moisture pushes in.
As long as the moisture can maintain enough spread as opposed to "contracting", then definitely agree with you.

*RAIN DANCE INTENSIFIES*
Cromagnum

Franklin doing some weird motions with some of the models, when everyone thought it was a fish storm a couple days ago. Lots of west shifts and then the ICON takes it towards Georgia.
Last edited by Cromagnum on Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:41 am Franklin doing some weird motions with some of the models, when everyone thought it was a fish storm a couple days ago.

Franklin could escape the east coast trough. We'll see.
Cromagnum

user:null wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:18 am
That's why you must joing me in supporting djmike with the "Beaumont magic."

*RAIN DANCE INTENSIFIES*
jasons2k wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:14 amLook over towards New Orleans. The bands should get up to a similar latitude over here. There is a sliver of hope for something as the moisture pushes in.
As long as the moisture can maintain enough spread as opposed to "contracting", then definitely agree with you.

*RAIN DANCE INTENSIFIES*

Now see, if everyone did like Butters from South Park and tried to flood the earth with a water hose, there might be enough ground moisture to cause some convection around here.

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:45 amNow see, if everyone did like Butters from South Park and tried to flood the earth with a water hose, there might be enough ground moisture to cause some convection around here.
Brown ocean effect? Even better!

*RAIN DANCE INTENSIFIES*
Stratton20

DoctorMu not sure if franklin will be able to, the TD behind it recurving leaves a weakness and that starts to tug Franklin North
Cromagnum

Nice spin in our homebrew storm. Starting to tighten up a bit.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What are those white objects in the sky? I swear they look familiar. I think the Old Timers called them clouds.
  • Information