July 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
user:null

jasons2k wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:40 pm Radar not any looking better. I give up. Uncle.

I think I need to move to Florida. The weather in this state just plain sucks.
Meanwhile, right next door in Beaumont and neighboring Louisiana, they get loads and loads of rain, way more than Florida.
jasons2k

I’m back. Lots of standing water until Mt. Belvieu. The Winnie area, as usual, was flooded. Everything was nice and green until we got to about 1485 & 99 and poof, the grass went brown.

It’s really bad over here. Along Birnham Woods and Elan, the grass is brown, the crepe myrtles are completely wilting, and the pine trees have that silver-gray-brown look with piles of needles under them. I haven’t seen anything like this since 2011, that’s for sure. Counting down the days until I’m back in the land of flora…
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 pm I’m back. Lots of standing water until Mt. Belvieu. The Winnie area, as usual, was flooded. Everything was nice and green until we got to about 1485 & 99 and poof, the grass went brown.

It’s really bad over here. Along Birnham Woods and Elan, the grass is brown, the crepe myrtles are completely wilting, and the pine trees have that silver-gray-brown look with piles of needles under them. I haven’t seen anything like this since 2011, that’s for sure. Counting down the days until I’m back in the land of flora…
In Florida it doesn’t seem to matter what the ENSO state is. They get rain there regardless it seems. Absolute gully washers at that.

Cpv17 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:13 pmIn Florida it doesn’t seem to matter what the ENSO state is.
ENSO really doesn't matter too much in the summer season itself, really — the ENSO effect is more on the antecedent fall thru spring cooler season, such that rain/lack thereof determines whether any summer dry spells can be tolerated.

For summer itself, La Nina is better concerning tropical driven rainfall. El Nino years (or, rather, the years preceding them) actually have quite a bit of dry spells (i.e. 1998, 2009, July of 2015, etc) ... though they can be good too if mid-latitude troughs can dig far enough into Texas (i.e. 2004).

They get rain there regardless it seems. Absolute gully washers at that.
I'm actually investigating this. And looking through various radars, model runs, I'm actually starting to think that ridging gets too much blame — basically, I think that there are other factors at play that cause the Texas summer dryness, beyond just ridging. As you mention, Florida gets loads of summer rain ... and I've seen them STILL get sea-breeze storms, gully washers, etc even with ridges over them the same strength as would shut everything off and drive up triple digits in Texas.
Last edited by user:null on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasons2k wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 pm I’m back. Lots of standing water until Mt. Belvieu. The Winnie area, as usual, was flooded. Everything was nice and green until we got to about 1485 & 99 and poof, the grass went brown.
It's like a magical wall right at the TX/LA border.

That said, there was some solid storms over in Pearland onto Inner Loop Houston areas, both from 95L as well as various scattered instances throughout June — a solid inch+ at Hobby Airport on yesterday, so greenery should recover quite a bit. Even far west Ft. Bend county around Fulshear has things really perking back up with just the regular scattered storms earlier this week (and just got another good one not too long ago).
Florida would almost be flawless. But, just like Texas, a certain governor over there rubs me the wrong way...
captainbarbossa19

user:null wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:18 pm
It's like a magical wall right at the TX/LA border.

That said, there was some solid storms over in Pearland onto Inner Loop Houston areas, both from 95L as well as various scattered instances throughout June — a solid inch+ at Hobby Airport on yesterday, so greenery should recover quite a bit. Even far west Ft. Bend county around Fulshear has things really perking back up with just the regular scattered storms earlier this week (and just got another good one not too long ago).
Florida would almost be flawless. But, just like Texas, a certain governor over there rubs me the wrong way...
I like talking about weather, but let's not turn the conversation to politics thank you. If I wanted that, I would be on non-weather social media.

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:25 pmI like talking about weather, but let's not turn the conversation to politics thank you. If I wanted that, I would be on non-weather social media.
My mistake. Will go back and edit if I can.

Back to weather: there's a magic wall between Beaumont and Houston.
Last edited by user:null on Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:13 pm

In Florida it doesn’t seem to matter what the ENSO state is. They get rain there regardless it seems. Absolute gully washers at that.
Florida has shitty Winters. I’ll visit there for the beaches. No way in hell I’d take up residence there. Do love their Gov though.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:57 pm As bad as you might think the weather is this year, just remember that it could be worse. I found this on the HGX weather page.

heat-wave.PNG

https://www.weather.gov/hgx/climate_holidays_hundred
Yep. Last summer was the coolest we've had in my 30 years here. We did have a warmer than usual Fall. This summer is the hottest and driest so far in 30 years. Junction Boys bad.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:27 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:13 pm

Florida has shitty Winters. I’ll visit there for the beaches. No way in hell I’d take up residence there. Do love their Gov though.
North Florida is OK, but not the panhandle. There is some cooler weather. It doesn't rain much. Anything south of Gainesville or certainly Ocala is too warm. You did lose me at Gov. Anyone who followed the failed Swedish model long after the Swedes gave up on it.

Crazy from the heat I guess. Bring on football season and lows in the 60s and 50s again. Eventually 40s by season end.
Last edited by DoctorMu on Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information