Chasing Karl/ Full Chase Report Up

Tropical Weather Discussions and Analysis
Scott747

Thought I'd go ahead and split this from the main as things continue to progress.

As usual Josh has started his main chase thread at Eastern and where you will find most of the updates -

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php ... p__5104694

This has been a absolutely crazy 30 hours. We started going over the potential chase almost constantly before Karl even emerged from the coast looking at multiple scenarios to try and have everything covered as this was turning into a nail biter. Having to make a decision so quickly was paramount and making the correct one was never going to be easy.

Here we are now with Josh currently in Veracruz and looking to obtain a rental to begin a trek to the N and a date with a possible cat 4 hurricane. Some call him completely insane but we all have our own crazy desires and compulsions.

I'll have him come by and update when he can but doubt it will be until after the chase as conditions continue to deteriorate.
Last edited by Scott747 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad he is safely in Veracruz and rested and ready for a big intercept. Thanks for the the update Scott!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Met Tech
Pro Met
Pro Met

Glad he's had you to help him out! Sounds like you had him on quite a set up with that ride to Veracruz, which is good since he seemed really frazzled yesterday.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now Met Tech can get a field test for his 'device' that will help in getting some valuable data. A team effort as always.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Met Tech
Pro Met
Pro Met

srainhoutx wrote:Now Met Tech can get a field test for his 'device' that will help in getting some valuable data. A team effort as always.
I sure hope so! I'm glad we've finally gotten a chance to get it into some action.
Scott747

Met Tech wrote:Glad he's had you to help him out! Sounds like you had him on quite a set up with that ride to Veracruz, which is good since he seemed really frazzled yesterday.
Oy. If you only knew! :lol:

With Jorge unfortunately having to back out it caused some brief trepidation. That's when he started looking at flying directly to Veracruz or possibly Tampico. In reality I don't think either was a option as it meant he had to leave much sooner and despite what many assume and you probably know as well he can't just drop everything instantly and take off. He was literally working on the way to the airport for the flight to Mexico City.

Getting to Veracruz was starting to just be another added burden and the key was getting him there with plenty of time to spare so he could be mentally prepared for the meat of the chase. Having that ride took a huge burden off his shoulders and allowed him some time to sit back take a deep breath, collect some zz's and become better focused.

Even with my limited experience of chasing I can't tell you how mentally and physically draining the entire event can be and this one is particularly so with how frantic it has been. The last thing he needed was to be so exhausted before making that final push. Sounds like he is refreshed and ready to go. With how small the margin is for error with Karl he needs every advantage he can get.
Scott747

Josh finally obtained a rental and should be in the process of setting up BASTARD (TM pending) to provide some real time observations when in contact.

At this point I'm not sure if he will have to venture that far N.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Met Tech and Josh are currently finishing up calibration on the 2 Kestrel data recording devices.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Scott747

Grr. Doesn't sound like he is going to set up the BASTARD device until on location.

Cory....

Thought it was ok to just set it up and work even while driving? Or is he talking about the Kestrel.
Met Tech
Pro Met
Pro Met

Scott747 wrote:
Grr. Doesn't sound like he is going to set up the BASTARD device until on location.

Cory....

Thought it was ok to just set it up and work even while driving? Or is he talking about the Kestrel.
Yeah it's okay to set up ahead of time. I think he's worried about the impeller on the Kestrel being used while in motion rather than saving it for stationary obs, but if he keeps the plastic impeller cover on it he should be able to put it on the roof and drive. If not, it takes only a couple of minutes to put together and stick on the roof once he gets there. The deal with those impellers are the manufacturer warns that "sustained" operation above 60 mph may wear out the impeller, so it's just a precaution (and he also bought several replacements that just snap in).
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josh is heading N toward Jose Cardel from Vera Cruz. The center with the latest RECON fixes suggest Karl will make landfall just S of Jose Cardel .

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Paul

I think I would go just about anywhere to chase a hurricane other than Mexico in this day and age......heard its not to pleasant down there...
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

It appears from all accounts that Josh has made a successful intercept. Scott should provide an update shortly. Josh is very experienced with Mexico intercepts and hopefully the data that he has recorded and collected will be useful to the NHC in reanalysis of Karl. Josh is a stickler for accurate data, and that will prove most helpful in the information he has obtained.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Scott747

Paul wrote:I think I would got just about anywhere to chase a hurricane other than Mexico in this day and age......heard its not to pleasant down there...
It's his third chase in barely a year. So far he hasn't come across any issues.
Scott747

srainhoutx wrote:It appears from all accounts that Josh has made a successful intercept. Scott should provide an update shortly. Josh is very experienced with Mexico intercepts and hopefully the data that he has recorded and collected will be useful to the NHC in reanalysis of Karl. Josh is a stickler for accurate data, and that will prove most helpful in the information he has obtained.
Really looking like he might have intercepted the core though it still remains to be seen as I can't 100 percent confirm. I know he had to of been close though and we should know sometime this afternoon or evening.

Can't wait for the pressure readings and the wind data from BASTARD.
Scott747

For those interested... Full chase report is up. As usual Josh takes you inside the chase and is a great read -

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php ... p__5117756

My season is quickly winding down as I don't see to many more threats for the WGOM unless we get a oddball system. Would go after something in the NGOM if worthwhile but start traveling extensively rather soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see Josh have another chase left for the YP. Has been a odd season so far with all the early hyperactive calls that for the most part the CONUS has seen limited action to this point. Never know what this last month and a half could bring though with the late season ideas that are floating around.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow what a great read. I really suggest everyone read it. Hopefully Josh joins the forum as he would be a great addition to it.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see Josh is in the house... :mrgreen:

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
HurricaneJosh

Hey, folks-- how's it going? Thanks, Steve, for inviting me here. Cool forum. :)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

We look a bit different that 2008, don't we? Welcome aboard the local Houston weather board, again. Great and knowledgeable folks, Josh. And a lot of laughs at times as well.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information