May Weather Discussions. Drougnt Continues For Houston

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

The first hail core has dropped with a second one developing aloft around 25,000 ft. 4.37'' hail possible!
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Also some new echos just South and east of bryan, we'll need to watch those, along with more thundershoers within the band of light rain to our northeast.
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

Large hail core dropping once again just south of Huntsville with a 78.5db return on the lowest tilt of the radar which up there is at about 7,000ft. Good bet that golf ball sized hail or larger might be falling about 4.5 miles south of Huntsville and 2 miles west of I-45.

It looks like that storm is taking on some supercell characteristics with a v-notch and mid-level rotation. Tornado threat remains very low as it is likely somewhat elevated as the surface cools down this evening.
Last edited by svrwx0503 on Wed May 25, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleetstorm

svrwx0503 wrote:The first hail core has dropped with a second one developing aloft around 25,000 ft. 4.37'' hail possible!
That is an impressive chunck of ice falling to and striking the ground, svrwx0503. Rectify me if I am wrong, but would that size be grapefruit or very close to it?

Come on thunderstorms, coerce that cap to crumble & shatter.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

^svrwx, Storms to the west appear to be re-intensifying as well. Do you think some of these storms could at least make it into Northern Harris county before the night is over?
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

sleetstorm wrote:
svrwx0503 wrote:The first hail core has dropped with a second one developing aloft around 25,000 ft. 4.37'' hail possible!
That is an impressive chunck of ice falling to and striking the ground, svrwx0503. Rectify me if I am wrong, but would that size be grapefruit or very close to it?

That would be closer to softball size; however some of it is likely melting before hitting the ground. I would expect mainly golf ball sized hail with the southern Walker county storm at this time.
sleetstorm

unome wrote:incredible lightning off to our WNW - hope we don't get hail, but would love the rain
I understand, unome. Yet, none of us have any control as to what those thunderstorms produce and where they dump their cargo. :)
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

weatherguy425 wrote:^svrwx, Storms to the west appear to be re-intensifying as well. Do you think some of these storms could at least make it into Northern Harris county before the night is over?
The storms out west look to be falling apart as they move away from the frontal boundary where the best low level convergence is occurring. As the boundary gets closer later tonight, there could still be some isolated showers and thunderstorms around that might make it into the Harris county area as some models have been hinting at. The overall severe threat will be on the decline as we head towards midnight and we loose any surface based instability.
sleetstorm

svrwx0503 wrote:
sleetstorm wrote:

That would be closer to softball size; however some of it is likely melting before hitting the ground. I would expect mainly golf ball sized hail with the southern Walker county storm at this time.
Thank you for clearing that up for me, svrwx0503. 8-)
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Just hopin' for some rain!
  • Information