February Ends Warm and Dry

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:
Andrew wrote:Sun is peaking in NW Houston as dry air filters in. Really bad news for us as temps will really drop tonight.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/sc/flash-vis.html
I'm not so sure we will clear tonight. Sure seems to be a lot of cloudiness moving in from Mexico. Is that all high clouds or are we seeing something with moisture content(for lack of better words) moving in?
looks like some type of EPAC impulse moving up...those arent high clouds either.
That is what I was thinking Paul. I just wanted someone to confirm it for me.
Julie, you can bet Mother nature is hee-hawing at us right now. :lol: :lol:
If HGX is correct that may keep the temps up a little tonight from what it was looking like we might get to. Seems to have settled right around 26f attm.[/quote]

Yea when I checked out the sat it looked like the clouds would stay to the south. Guess that won't be happening...
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
helloitsb

stuff falling out of the sky here looks like flurries
txsnowmaker

Anyone care to comment as to whether we would be talking about freezing rain, sleet, and/or snow if these incoming clouds produce any precip?
rain

where are the clouds and where might they be heading?
vbhoutex

txsnowmaker wrote:Anyone care to comment as to whether we would be talking about freezing rain, sleet, and/or snow if these incoming clouds produce any precip?
IF they produce any precip, I would think all would be on the table. I have not looked at anything lately to tell me what the current temperature profile is for our area. Since we have had quite a few reports of flurries in varying areas of the metro I would lean towards snow for now, but I am not about to predict we are going to have anything but cloud cover from those clouds until I have time to research further. Off the top guess is that we won't get precip from them, but ...???? Suffice it to say they have caught my attention and I will be looking at radars to our W and SW for a good while.
vbhoutex

rain wrote:where are the clouds and where might they be heading?
Well there is wrap around coming in from the N and NW and there is also cloudiness starting to stream in from the SW on the Southern Jet.
sm040480

Nifty little link I just got through my houston scan group. Shows road temps, air temps, etc.
http://hcoem.houstontranstar.org/txdot/
rain

vbhoutex wrote:
rain wrote:where are the clouds and where might they be heading?
Well there is wrap around coming in from the N and NW and there is also cloudiness starting to stream in from the SW on the Southern Jet.

thank you!!!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking a look at Hooks obs, pressures are slowly rising, but rh's are still in the upper 70's. A stray light flurry or two may not be out of the question...

Code: Select all

Current Weather Conditions:
HOUSTON HOOKS MEMORIAL, TX, United States  
(KDWH) 30-04N 95-33W 46M  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conditions at  Feb 09, 2011 - 07:53 PM ESTFeb 09, 2011 - 06:53 PM CSTFeb 09, 2011 - 05:53 PM MSTFeb 09, 2011 - 04:53 PM PSTFeb 09, 2011 - 03:53 PM ASTFeb 09, 2011 - 02:53 PM HST
2011.02.10 0053 UTC  
Wind  from the NNW (340 degrees) at 12 MPH (10 KT) gusting to 32 MPH (28 KT)  
Visibility  10 mile(s)  
Sky conditions  overcast  
Temperature  28.0 F (-2.2 C)  
Windchill  17 F (-8 C)  
Dew Point  21.9 F (-5.6 C)  
Relative Humidity  77%  
Pressure (altimeter)  30.28 in. Hg (1025 hPa)  
ob  KDWH 100053Z AUTO 34010G28KT 10SM OVC019 M02/M06 A3028 RMK AO2 PK WND 36028/0050 SLP253 T10221056 TSNO 
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
unome

JulieC wrote:
sambucol wrote:
JulieC wrote:The entire area between Fry, Clay, Franz, and the Grand Parkway has been without power for about 2 hours. All the traffic lights at those intersections are out and traffic is really building. My Katy ISD school ended the day without power, wonder if we will have school tomorrow.
Is it from a rolling outage?

I don't think so. We had a couple of power outages last week during the ice, but they were back up and running within 20-30 minutes. The power at school went out about 3:00, flickered a bit, then went off to stay and never came back on. Every traffic light from I-10 to West Little York on Fry is out and traffic is backed up for miles. I saw several accidents too. My normal 15 minute ride turned into a 40 minute ride.

On a good note, I didn't see any ice on the road, but my car door in the school parking lot was frozen shut and had 2 inch icicles on it. The bus ramps were slick and slippery and the buses themselves had ice on the steps to the bus. We had to load kids VERY CAREFULLY.
apparently it was from ice on the lines, combined with high winds:
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/02/09/cent ... f-houston/
vbhoutex

Ask and you shall receive. I am having very light snow flurries at the house again. :shock: :o
maroondreams

This is 2011 why don't we have some like super duper weather perdicting machine done yet. None of this mumbo-jumbo I THINK it's going to snow/rain/heatwave kinda deal.

Then again we were also suppose to have flying cars but, as we all know by houston traffic that sure as heck aint happening.

Oh well just worried about my dad's ride home from work @ 12:30am. He's coming from post office down town to Eldridge and worried about any ice he might encounter. All these reports of slight snow flurries have me concerned about any moisture that might accumilate.

I'm all for snow and the cold but, I much rather us ALL be at home and safe with our families and enjoying it than worried about people being out on the roads and not knowing how to drive in it.

Ok i'll shut up now ... back to lurking and THANK YOU EVERYONE for your reports. You guys sure know how to make watching weather intresting. :)
skidog38

whatever that is west is coming? what is it? is a low forming?
Baseballdude2915

skidog38 wrote:whatever that is west is coming? what is it? is a low forming?

Nothing but a few small blips (probably virga) in south texas.
The IR looks like some activity, but upper level.

What map are you looking at?
Im not seeing anything to get hopes up.
skidog38

Baseballdude2915 wrote:

nws and houston chronicle regional infared satellite map
txsnowmaker

skidog38 wrote:
Baseballdude2915 wrote:

nws and houston chronicle regional infared satellite map
Yes--here is a link: http://weather.chron.com/US//Region/Sou ... llite.html. What do you make of this Baseballdude2915?
Baseballdude2915

From what it appears, all of this energy is in the upper levels and nothing is coming down. Radar says nothing down south as well.
Nothing but cold temps tonight guys.
Paul

vbhoutex wrote:Ask and you shall receive. I am having very light snow flurries at the house again. :shock: :o

just not fair!! :D
skidog38

so thats not snow that just popped up in san angelo?
Paul

if you guys are looking at the NWS radar for light wintery precip think again. Just for kicks...That my friends is the southern jet with an embedded disturbance.

• Information