February Ends Warm and Dry

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freezing rain reported in College Station.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brenham down to 25F now.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:Freezing rain reported in College Station.
Radar doesn't seem to be picking it up. Could be interesting to see how this transitions down here
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freezing precip reported in Bellville now...

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

If there is enough wrap around moisture, and I swear I do not see it, I am hoping for snow. Driving in snow, although not a picnic, is much easier than sleet and a heck of a lot easier than freezing rain.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prairie View 27.2F

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
FBHoustonWeather

I wonder why this cold blast (and it's currently in the teens in the hill country) is not being tracked with as much enthusiasm as the last front?

(I'm at 45 degrees in NW Houston near 249/Grant Rd. wind about 7 mph out of the NW)
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

tireman4 wrote:If there is enough wrap around moisture, and I swear I do not see it, I am hoping for snow. Driving in snow, although not a picnic, is much easier than sleet and a heck of a lot easier than freezing rain.

It won't be snow. It will be freezing rain. Temps are dropping so fast I'm really wondering what the roads will be like this evening. Not much dry time. Only saving grace is temps have been warmer over the last couple of days.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

FBHoustonWeather wrote:I wonder why this cold blast (and it's currently in the teens in the hill country) is not being tracked with as much enthusiasm as the last front?

(I'm at 45 degrees in NW Houston near 249/Grant Rd. wind about 7 mph out of the NW)
I suspect folks are feeling a bit burned by last weeks event and frankly, folks are growing weary of the cold. But that's just my opinion. Edit to add: I just hope we don't get a big surprise as the morning wears on. Houston traffic and ice are not a good mix.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
FBHoustonWeather

srainhoutx wrote:
FBHoustonWeather wrote:I wonder why this cold blast (and it's currently in the teens in the hill country) is not being tracked with as much enthusiasm as the last front?

I suspect folks are feeling a bit burned by last weeks event and frankly, folks are growing weary of the cold. But that's just my opinion. Edit to add: I just hope we don't get a big surprise as the morning wears on. Houston traffic and ice are not a good mix.
I'm burned from tracking it and being really disappointed as well, but this with this frontal passage, I'm seeing a bit colder temps behind this front. Any chance we'll see teens tonight?
TxMomof2

Is there any risk of icy overpasses within the next 2-3 hours in NW Houston/Tomball? I have some places to go, but I don't want to drive if there will be ice. Thanks!
Rich

It sure does appear alot wetter in advance of this front. Does anyone think we will have any problems with icing this evening due to left over moisture?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Baseballdude2915

All that can be done with this is to watch how the cold air filers in and how long after precip. If college station is already icing over, ill bet some parts of houston will be slick this afternoon. This could get very dangerous very fast.

It would almost be fitting for one event to bust and have everyone think the pros "cried wolf", then have a surprise event come in and shut down the city. Doubtful, but would almost make sense. LOL.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Temp dropping here now. Down to 39.7F from 43.7F in a minute. Edit to add: Winds have picked up as well. Getting to gusts in the 20+ mph range as well.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Paul

I dont think there will be enough time for the bridges to ice over since we have been in the 50's for a few days....wind and evap should do the rest....JMO....
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

35.4F up here and light rain.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Paul

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/? ... &wmo=99999

front paseed CInco Ranch and approaching Sugarland before DT Houston....funky orientation....but whatever its going to get cold....
vbhoutex

FBHoustonWeather wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:

I'm burned from tracking it and being really disappointed as well, but this with this frontal passage, I'm seeing a bit colder temps behind this front. Any chance we'll see teens tonight?
I am thinking that this is coming in colder than originally thought, so it wouldn't be a surprise to me to see high teens in the N and W suburbs and possibly in as far as the Hwy 6 or maybe the Beltway. If this rain doesn't stop soon fropa could cause a very messy situation on our bridges and overpasses relatively quickly. I hope not, but radar seems to tell me otherwise. That along with reports of sleet in Bellville is my cause for concern.
Stormrider

Kinda wonder with the temp dropping as fast as it is will the chill outrace the moisture and ice the roads? Also will the power lines ice over? With the stiff winds predicted for the area along with possible icy lines, I'm concerned about power outages.
  • Information