February Ends Warm and Dry

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

GFS brings the front through around noon Wednesday with temps falling steadily afterward. Precip ends with the frontal passage (no post-frontal disturbance moving by). Relatively light freezes Thu/Fri (upper 20s) followed by a steady warm-up that could get our temps into the 80 degree range by Valentine's Day or shortly after.

Note that the Euro drives the 850mb freezing line all the way north into central Canada by day 10 as a deep upper low develops off the NW U.S. Coast. Big snow melt across the Plains after this week. Winter appears to be coming to an end for us.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 12Z suite has started. There were some issues with balloon data from Shreveport and Lake Charles...

NCEP Operational Status Message
Mon Feb 7 13:37:50 2011 GMT
NOUS42 KWNO 071337
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD
1333Z MON FEB 07 2011
THE 12Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION HAS STARTED AND IS RUNNING ON TIME.
OBSERVATIONS AVAILABLE FOR NAM INGEST INCLUDED 14 ALASKAN...32
CANADIAN...69 CONUS...13 MEXICAN...AND 8 CARIBBEAN STATIONS.
12Z NAM RAOB RECAP...
CHS/72208 - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142.
SHV/72248 - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142.
PPG/91765 - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142.
MZT/76458 - CODE 10159.
YVP/71906 - SHORT TO 755 MB.
SJU/78526 - PURGED ALL MOISTURE DATA...SPURIOUS VALUES.
MFR/72597 - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 758-731 MB...WET BULB EFFECT.
LCH/72240 - PURGED TEMP/MOISTURE AT 249 MB...SUPER ADIABATIC.
CRITICAL WEATHER DAY STATUS...
THE ONGOING CWD WILL EXPIRE AT 17Z TODAY. NCEP DOES NOT ANTICIPATE
AN ADDITIONAL CWD DURING THE NEXT 3 DAYS.
$$
HANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
texoz

wxman57 wrote:GFS brings the front through around noon Wednesday with temps falling steadily afterward. Precip ends with the frontal passage (no post-frontal disturbance moving by). Relatively light freezes Thu/Fri (upper 20s) followed by a steady warm-up that could get our temps into the 80 degree range by Valentine's Day or shortly after.

Note that the Euro drives the 850mb freezing line all the way north into central Canada by day 10 as a deep upper low develops off the NW U.S. Coast. Big snow melt across the Plains after this week. Winter appears to be coming to an end for us.
And we turn our gaze eastward toward the Atlantic, Carrib, and GOM.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

texoz wrote:
wxman57 wrote:GFS brings the front through around noon Wednesday with temps falling steadily afterward. Precip ends with the frontal passage (no post-frontal disturbance moving by). Relatively light freezes Thu/Fri (upper 20s) followed by a steady warm-up that could get our temps into the 80 degree range by Valentine's Day or shortly after.

And we turn our gaze eastward toward the Atlantic, Carrib, and GOM.

That is still many months aways. We now look at thunderstorm season.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know folks are watching and waiting to see what the 12Z suite offers today. I personally, will be awaiting the entire suite from the NCEP and Foreign guidance as well as ensembles before passing any judgment of the various outputs. There appears to be a bit too much spread in the data at this time which gives one pause with regards to the sensible weather we may expect mid week. Of course, those are just my thoughts.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our friends at Impact Weather have updated their video...

http://www.youtube.com/impactweather

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:I know folks are watching and waiting to see what the 12Z suite offers today. I personally, will be awaiting the entire suite from the NCEP and Foreign guidance as well as ensembles before passing any judgment of the various outputs. There appears to be a bit too much spread in the data at this time which gives one pause with regards to the sensible weather we may expect mid week. Of course, those are just my thoughts.

HPC:

...WAVE CROSSING THE GULF STATES DAY 3...

PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: PENDING 12Z/07 ECMWF

THE NAM IS LESS SUPPRESSED WITH THE TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM THAN THE
00Z/07 ECMWF...WITH THE GFS SLIGHTLY MORE SUPPRESSED. THE GEM
GLOBAL IS CLOSEST TO THE ECMWF...WITH THE UKMET CLOSEST TO THE
NAM. CONSIDERING THE TRENDING OF THE GUIDANCE WITH THIS ENERGETIC
FEATURE...WILL WAIT FOR THE 12Z/07 TO MAKE A CALL HERE.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
radiogirltx

Andrew wrote:
sleetstorm wrote:I am not done with Winter. I still want to see how much more Winter weather storms that SE Texas will get before all is said and done for Winter 2010-2011. The first day of Spring this year is the 20th of March in case any of you did not know. I am not going to be done with Winter until sometime next month.

I would be perfectly fine with temps getting back into the 90's tomm. I mean I enjoy extreme weather but I enjoy summer so much more. One day Key West here I come. :lol:
Oh man, that is my fav rock on earth! I Was just listening to US1 radio online this morning! Hubby and I really want to retire there. Have fun, and drink a frozen mudslide at the Flying Monkey for me!!!
8-)
sambucol

Might we get freezing drizzle further south than presently forecasted?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alright, the 12Z Operational runs are complete through hour 72, except for the UKMET 144 hour run that will be complete after 1:00PM. The general trends today have been a bit of a slightly suppressed track of the Upper Level disturbance. This is a rather progressive (fast moving) feature and there has been a lot of disagreement regarding exactly when the front will arrive creating the discussions regarding any wintry weather chances for Central/SE TX. As I posted above the trends today were moving toward the 00Z Euro solution. The 12Z Euro has changed little, but does suggest a quick end to precip chances after the front passes. The 12Z GFS ensembles are rather quick with the frontal passage, suggesting an arrival in the Central TX area in the very early morning hours and likely off the Coast by mid day Wednesday, +/- a couple of hours. The NAM is an outlier. That solution is not in agreement with other guidance, except for the 72 hour UKMET. We'll see what the Canadian and Euro ensembles suggest later in the afternoon, but my hunch is the HPC will side with the Euro, since it has held ground (perhaps a bit slower with the front than the 00Z) and the trends are moving in that direction. We will see.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information