February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
helloitsb

I hate to say it but I may have to throw in the towel for about an hour, my eyes hurt from watching radars lol hopefully I can wake up and don't totally pass out and wake up at 10
djjordan

We are starting to get some serious icing here in Sugarland ..... Hwy 6 near Settlers Way .... If the FRZ Rain continues this problem is going to get pretty dicey.
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
TexasBreeze

I agree it's bedtime for me too hellob! My eyes are the same way. I might wake up at 5 or 6 (maybe).
don

Moderate snow still falling and accumulating here in San Antonio.
djjordan

HWY 59 is closed in Fort Bend County down to Wharton County ........ also San Antonio is reporting that most major thoroughfares are closed due to icing.
wxman666

djjordan wrote:We are starting to get some serious icing here in Sugarland ..... Hwy 6 near Settlers Way .... If the FRZ Rain continues this problem is going to get pretty dicey.
Have they completely shut down 59 both ways?
Ready for severe weather season!!
djjordan

wxman666 wrote:
djjordan wrote:We are starting to get some serious icing here in Sugarland ..... Hwy 6 near Settlers Way .... If the FRZ Rain continues this problem is going to get pretty dicey.
Yes
indian1999

what time will this stuff make it to the beaumont area?
wxman666

djjordan wrote:
wxman666 wrote:
Yes
Jeez. Ok thanks for the info. Any word on how 290 is fairing?
Ready for severe weather season!!
sm040480

Just was emailing Ticka and thought of this...for those of you with icing (I guess most of us) go stand outside and listen to your trees. I'm surrounded by pine trees and they are really starting to creak. I've still got "something" falling from the sky but not sure how to categorize it. Everything seems encased in ice, winds are picking up. So now we not only have ice skating rinks to drive on but I'd hazard it's just a matter of time before we start seeing some significant power outages due to ice/trees/whatever this frozen precip is.
Skeery.
MRG93415

It is just a glaze of ice all over my car and front porch...This is crazy...Anyone hear about how 290 is as far as ice goes...I have a feeling this city is gonna be shut down (Houston and surrounding areas)
biggerbyte

weatherguy425 wrote:Biggerbyte- I'd be REALLY careful when you say it's over after that band. theres still a low to our west, remember?
I'm speaking of the entire system. Not just that band.
Poltracker

Tx DOT has this for Harris Co. Rd. Conditions:

District:
County:
Condition:
Roadway:
Direction:
Time:
Limits: Houston
Harris
Ice/Snow
IH0010
Westbound
2011-02-04 1:00 AM to 2011-02-06 2:00 PM
Barker Cypress to Frye

Description: Travel discouraged due to icy conditions
Ice on roadway, TxDOT is patrolling and plowing

District:
County:
Condition:
Roadway:
Direction:
Time:
Limits: Houston
Harris
Ice/Snow
SH0225
Eastbound and Westbound
2011-02-04 1:24 AM to 2011-02-04 12:15 PM
Scarborough to Scarborough

Description: Due to a police incident or investigation

Pasadena Police Department has the mainlanes overpass closed due to icy conditions, detouring traffic onto service roads
Mr. T

sm040480 wrote:Just was emailing Ticka and thought of this...for those of you with icing (I guess most of us) go stand outside and listen to your trees. I'm surrounded by pine trees and they are really starting to creak. I've still got "something" falling from the sky but not sure how to categorize it. Everything seems encased in ice, winds are picking up. So now we not only have ice skating rinks to drive on but I'd hazard it's just a matter of time before we start seeing some significant power outages due to ice/trees/whatever this frozen precip is.
Skeery.
The precip would probably have to intensify a bit in order for that to happpen.
unome

just woke up, icy outside - check out TranStar

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

biggerbyte

Mr. T wrote:
biggerbyte wrote:Side note, is that it may not even hold together and bring snow to this area. We will just have to watch for trends. Let us not get our hopes up. However, once all of this passes by, that is it. No more chances. So far we have been nearly surrounded by winter fun. It is almost like S.E. Texas has an invisible shield over it. Lol
And the ice and traffic accidents around the area are fake?

I'd say this is enough winter fun for us... This is not what we needed.
I'm talking about the predicted snowfall. Inland areas were to have more snow, than ice. I had much rather have 1 to 3 inches of snow right now, than this glaze of ice on everything. It is light precip., but that precip. is sticking to everything. The trees, etc., here in Porter are covered. Freezing rain was supposed to have been a coastal issue. Top all of this off with the possibility of some snow still possible.
Poltracker

unome wrote:just woke up, icy outside - check out TranStar

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

For further out, check TXDOT here: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/travel/road_conditions.htm
noname_77065

Hang in there snow fans in Houston. The "squall line" (for a lack of better wording) sitting over Austin is dumping plenty of snow on us. Should be about an inch or 1.5" before it heads toward you. It's coming your way next!
vbhoutex

Mr. T wrote:
sm040480 wrote:Just was emailing Ticka and thought of this...for those of you with icing (I guess most of us) go stand outside and listen to your trees. I'm surrounded by pine trees and they are really starting to creak. I've still got "something" falling from the sky but not sure how to categorize it. Everything seems encased in ice, winds are picking up. So now we not only have ice skating rinks to drive on but I'd hazard it's just a matter of time before we start seeing some significant power outages due to ice/trees/whatever this frozen precip is.
Skeery.
The precip would probably have to intensify a bit in order for that to happpen.
I have to agree with sm040480 on this unless the freezing rain stops soon. Accumulations are approaching and/or surpassing 1/4" in some areas(per Jeff). I already have ice starting to fall out of the trees with the winds picking up. I am hoping the snow shown on radar coming into W Harris County is really snow so the icing will stop. It won't make it any safer if it is snow, but imo it is getting to a point where the icing needs to stop soon or we will be looking at limbs coming down from the weight of the ice.
don

snow finally ended here in San Antonio all the streets and freeways are covered with snow, also GFS looks like we could have a repeat with the ice next week...
  • Information