February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
vbhoutex

helloitsb wrote:Image

looks like an over turned TXDot truck?
Yes
helloitsb

vci_guy2003 wrote:Helloit, where are you getting those transtar feeds?
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv ... H-45_North

btw I see it didn't post the whole pic, don't call me crazy there was an overturned truck!
djjordan

half a dozen cars are sliding around on south Beltway 8 near Mykawa ..... report from HFD trying to get to Motor Vehicle Accidents.
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
Baseballdude2915

Mr. T wrote:Moderate snow in San Antonio right now.

This is likely a nearly convective band of snow within the coldest air of the upper low that will push across the area later this morning... This will be very interesting to watch.
Tyler, you think it will cross over our area down to the coast?
How do you think it will progess? Stronger or weaker?

I value your opinion so just throw out your best guess.
n2health

This seems to be a pretty good model of many things with this storm

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphi ... /conus.php

Stay safe and warm all
Mr. T

vci_guy2003 wrote:Mr. T, is there a chance that the gap between us and the band fills in more and we start to get snow sooner rather than later?
Probably not. Looks as though the warm nose is a lot more pronounced than previously thought right now
helloitsb

nvm I see its updating as time goes by I think? That is weird...I am pretty tired so I may have no idea what I'm saying, good thing I have another Red Bull in the fridge wow ...
Mr. T

Baseballdude2915 wrote: Tyler, you think it will cross over our area down to the coast?
How do you think it will progess? Stronger or weaker?

I value your opinion so just throw out your best guess.
It looks as though it will keep its intensity. Not sure if it will be all snow, though. I'm talking to a friend in Austin right now and he's recieving a moderate band of graupel
djjordan

This may well turn out to be an icing event for us here in the metro area ..... lots of reports coming in of motor vehicle accidents city wide .... only monitoring Harris county right now but it is sure to be around the area.
Snowman

it is safe to say that this is an ice event. misting pretty good at my house at 27 degrees. Ice is literally everywhere. on the road and my driveway
helloitsb

Mr. T wrote:
vci_guy2003 wrote:Mr. T, is there a chance that the gap between us and the band fills in more and we start to get snow sooner rather than later?
Probably not. Looks as though the warm nose is a lot more pronounced than previously thought right now
what do you think the chances of us getting that and not diffusing out are? Right now it looks like the gulf is feeding the moisture but I really have no idea what I'm talking about
HouTXmetro

I really think the dry air has played a role in keeping down our precipitation. Notice further north in Dallas area they are getting some strong showers. I didn't even think it was forecasted to be worst there then here.
Mr. T

CLL is reporting -SN at the moment
msp

all snow here in CLL with improving flake size. coating on the ground already. students out on campus trying to scrape it into snowballs.
djjordan

report of a rollover accident at 610 North near memorial drive.
HouTXmetro

Yep, I'm sittin at 30 degree's near Reliant Park....Cement on patio has glazed over. *I am on the second floor though
tsb2107

Just seen the met on channel 11. He said accidents are happening all over the city and we are going through a ice storm right now, with snow still expected around 6 or 8 AM.
texasrattler
Location: Richmond, Fort Bend County (Grand Parkway & Mason Road)

Just got home from work. The husband of a co-worker had just traveled from downtown to SH99 and then south down 99 to our location at Bellaire and SH 99 (Grand Parkway). He said that the overpass at Greenhouse at I-10 was really bad and that he saw 17 accidents between downtown and SH 99. Going south on 99, he was told by an officer (probably FBC) that traveling on 99 south of I-10 would probably be shut down soon because the multiple overpasses were iced over and hazardous.

At my location, moderate to heavy freezing drizzle with a temp of 29. Truck had about 1/8" of ice covering all surfaces.
Last edited by texasrattler on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamPlayersBlue

Is the low still expected to form in the gulf? If so when and where?
Texashawk

Boy, am I glad I work from home. I can't imagine having to go out this morning in this mess.
  • Information