February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Mr. T

Light freezing rain at Hooks, IAH, and Hobby.

Light snow in CLL
txsnowmaker

Not going to be easy in these cash-strapped times, but HGX needs a major push for forecast sounding equipment.
CAK

Kingwood= Light sleet, glass patio furniture iced over, wood deck iced. Hoping this turns to flakes soon.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Interestingly enough, we may hit Winter Storm Warning criteria without the snow. My car is a solid block of ice. My antenna is like 2" thick with ice. Dangerous dangerous.
HouTXmetro

[quote="txsnowmaker"]Not going to be easy in these cash-strapped times, but HGX needs a major push for forecast sounding equipment.[/quote]

It's beyond me why the 4th largest city in America doesn't have that equipment.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

4 cars invovled I-10 and SH 99. ice covering freeway. TXDOT sanding

HCTRA has order areawide sanding of all Toll Roads

HCTRA closing the Beltway at Almeda for sanding..all traffic being diverted to feeder road
CAK

Andrew, can you post that link again for tracking ULL? Thanks!
JulieC

Temp just dropped 4 degrees in a minute or so. Street looks damp, but I don't see any precip here by 529 and Fry. :-(
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

CAK wrote:Andrew, can you post that link again for tracking ULL? Thanks!
http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/products/wx ... 0mbwv.html
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
BigNorthSide

Mostly freezing rain but I did see some huge flakes earlier........they were driving at FREEWAY posted speeds on the frozen overpasses :shock:
ronyan

Freezing rain has started here.
vbhoutex

txsnowmaker wrote:Not going to be easy in these cash-strapped times, but HGX needs a major push for forecast sounding equipment.
They sure do. It is unbelievable to me that they don't do soundings here.
EVERYTHING is beginning to glaze over in the Spring Branch area. Streets are even beginning to look glazed. Not liking this at all. Hope we get a changeover soon!! Currently 27.8f with a 27f dp.
txsnowmaker

If this keeps up, what timeframe could we be looking at for impacts on power lines?
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

Andrew wrote:
svrwx0503 wrote:Currently HGX radar showing a lot of light returns signifying some freezing rain/drizzle along with the occasional snow flake, especially just west and northwest of the metro area. The latest RUC mesoanalysis and model soundings show some what of a warm layer around 850 across eastern sections of the region with Harris county the battle ground between what looks to be mainly freezing rain and a mix of freezing rain, sleet, and snow out west. Should see better chances for snow after midnight as colder temps spread in from the west in association with the upper low. Also, the region is just now starting to come under the RRQ of a 100kt+ upper level jet core which will help increase lift over the region.

Just based on reports, it looks like light snow is occurring with dbz values at or above 25dbz.

Hey svrwx what do you think about later tonight as far as the ULL tracking farther east and not ENE? Also do you see snow accumulations in the morning?
The latest WV imagery shows the UL moving ENE into western central Texas, maybe a touch slower but pretty much on time. As it continues on this track overnight, should see a change over to snow late tonight into tomorrow morning. Will want to watch the reporting stations out west to see if the change over is occurring. I noticed that Gonzales reported 1/2 inch of snow on the ground.
skidog38

i want some snow
TexasBreeze

Still heavy freezing drizzle with little pellets. The streets are damp but still liquid. 28 degrees will eventually freeze them.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

My friends in College Station are now reporting snow.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

svrwx0503 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
svrwx0503 wrote:Currently HGX radar showing a lot of light returns signifying some freezing rain/drizzle along with the occasional snow flake, especially just west and northwest of the metro area. The latest RUC mesoanalysis and model soundings show some what of a warm layer around 850 across eastern sections of the region with Harris county the battle ground between what looks to be mainly freezing rain and a mix of freezing rain, sleet, and snow out west. Should see better chances for snow after midnight as colder temps spread in from the west in association with the upper low. Also, the region is just now starting to come under the RRQ of a 100kt+ upper level jet core which will help increase lift over the region.

Just based on reports, it looks like light snow is occurring with dbz values at or above 25dbz.

Hey svrwx what do you think about later tonight as far as the ULL tracking farther east and not ENE? Also do you see snow accumulations in the morning?
The latest WV imagery shows the UL moving ENE into western central Texas, maybe a touch slower but pretty much on time. As it continues on this track overnight, should see a change over to snow late tonight into tomorrow morning. Will want to watch the reporting stations out west to see if the change over is occurring. I noticed that Gonzales reported 1/2 inch of snow on the ground.
Thanks man :D
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Paul

I have a light mix going on over here attm....very bad for driving...
jgreak

In Kingwood - been drizzling for about an hour, just now starting to hear sleet takka takkin on metal surfaces
  • Information