February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Radars really starting to go with strong lift approaching
hlewis

Katdaddy wrote:Whats the update hlewis? Radar indicating precip in your area
friend on facebook said it's falling in Hiljie, but she isn't sure if it's sleet or snow lol that's 5 or so minutes south on 59 from El Campo. i think i said 15 minutes earlier... just right outside El Campo.
Texashawk

What is the minimum dB for the moisture to reach the ground? Looks like we've got some 10dB right above us in Missouri City, but it's dry as dust out here...
txsnowmaker

Is the effect of falling frozen precip strong enough to send surface temps from 35F to freezing or below freezing?
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Agree with Jeff. Upper level low still digging S of the Big Bend with strong moisture feed across coastal areas. Hou-Gal radar lighting up to the SW of Houston area.
MRG93415

Anyone that is around 1960, Cypress, Fairfield or Waller..Let me know when you start seeing something. We are waiting here checking outside every 20 minutes or so...LOL
helloitsb

txsnowmaker wrote:Is the effect of falling frozen precip strong enough to send surface temps from 35F to freezing or below freezing?
yes, NWS mentioned the possibility of evaporative cooling once the precip starts falling (they said these could be 5-7 degree drops)
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Numerous roads going impassable over S TX with ZR. Numeorus accidents and 1 fatal.

Veterans Memorial Bridge in Jefferson County closed by TXDOT due to ice...sanding operations in progress
medicalgirl32

When looking at the radar on NWS which should I look at "base" or "Composite" because according to composite I should have precip here but we don't.
Paul

txsnowmaker wrote:Is the effect of falling frozen precip strong enough to send surface temps from 35F to freezing or below freezing?

yes....the dewpoint and surface temps will meet in the middle....mostly likely around 27-28F for most...
  • Information