February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

helloitsb wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Ceilings have lowered significantly within the past hour in NW Harris County.
this is good? :oops:
I just took the dog for a walk and noticed the same thing. This is definitely a good sign. The sky is starting to get that 'isentropic lift' appearance too it with the light reflecting off the lowering clouds.
gent500

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just checked out the radar from the Weather Channel online and I'm very happy to see it beginning to light up north of Austin during the last few frames. Perhaps this is the beginning of the event?!
Paul

Frigid Aggie wrote:Definitely seeing flurries now in Pearland. Flakes were about double the size they were. I can confirm that I do NOT live next to a meth lab. :lol:

can confirm as well....I am 518 and Pearland Parkway behind Loews....Pearland we are go for launch!!!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

hlewis wrote:
please tell me what the very light, white-gray area is srain... thanks :)
That mid level moisture has been building all day. Notice as the disturbance moves E, the lift (echo's) begin.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
hlewis

srainhoutx wrote:
hlewis wrote:
That mid level moisture has been building all day. Notice as the disturbance moves E, the lift (echo's) begin.
this is good for my area, yes?? means it wants to try to drop something? sorry, just a beginner.
Frigid Aggie

Paul wrote:
Frigid Aggie wrote:Definitely seeing flurries now in Pearland. Flakes were about double the size they were. I can confirm that I do NOT live next to a meth lab. :lol:

can confirm as well....I am 518 and Pearland Parkway behind Loews....Pearland we are go for launch!!!

For those not familiar with Pearland, that would put Paul about 3-4 miles east of me.
Frigid Aggie

Candy Cane wrote:Frigid Aggie, PLEASE check your PM. Thanks
I have replied.
noname_77065

The latest ob at Burnet (a small hill country town) is "Unknown Precip." Normally that would signify Sleet, but seeing as it's way too cold for sleet, it certainly is some light snow. What is popping up on radar now is not virga. Watch to the west. This stuff is coming your way in Houston eventually!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

hlewis wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:
hlewis wrote:
this is good for my area, yes?? means it wants to try to drop something? sorry, just a beginner.
It's a beginning. Keep on eye out in El Campo for us.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Frigid Aggie

Doppler radar now starting to show some pockets of moisture moving north through Matgorda, Wharton, Brazoria, and Fort Bend Counties.
matthouston

This seems to have picked up pretty quickly. This is what some were saying would happen all day.

If I can make one request, it would be that we have no "I told you so's"
helloitsb

while we wait for our system to get here, its pretty outstanding having 310 pages in the February thread and its the 3rd of the month :D
hlewis

That mid level moisture has been building all day. Notice as the disturbance moves E, the lift (echo's) begin.[/quote]

this is good for my area, yes?? means it wants to try to drop something? sorry, just a beginner.[/quote]

It's a beginning. Keep on eye out in El Campo for us.[/quote]

Will do! KAVU's (Victoria) Facebook reported sleet outside their station. I think it's their facebook, just added it today.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf# ... roadsToday
Paul

helloitsb wrote:while we wait for our system to get here, its pretty outstanding having 310 pages in the February thread and its the 3rd of the month :D

wait until we have a hurricane this year in the GOM.... ;)
Texashawk

Looks like NW of Austin is starting to light up with some good snow showers... that stuff isn't moving our way but hopefully it does bode well for the energy potential of this system!
Last edited by Texashawk on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Before it gets crazy, I want to take a moment to thank our Pros. As singlemom stated, you folks are 'rock stars' to many of our folks. Your presence, sensibility, awesome informative posts, and sound reasoning, means so much to our community. Thanks. Now, let it snow... :mrgreen:

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Wow - IH 35 near Laredo is closed at MM6 going into town due to icy bridges and numerous accidents.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul wrote:
helloitsb wrote:while we wait for our system to get here, its pretty outstanding having 310 pages in the February thread and its the 3rd of the month :D

wait until we have a hurricane this year in the GOM.... ;)

Paul please I think I might pass out. Not only will we have the constant model hugging/anti hugging wars but also wobble watch will be 24/7.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Just stepped outside the station and about froze solid. Looking at the WV, it appears the low is rounding the bend and will soon being to feel the effects of the gulf moisture. I suspect we'll see a shield of precip begin to develp and head inland. Hurry up, midnight!
Last edited by TexasMetBlake on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgal

srainhoutx wrote:Before it gets crazy, I want to take a moment to thank our Pros. As singlemom stated, you folks are 'rock stars' to many of our folks. Your presence, sensibility, awesome informative posts, and sound reasoning, means so much to our community. Thanks. Now, let it snow... :mrgreen:
Agrees completely! Wonderful job even with all of the craziness. Thank you all so very much!
  • Information