February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
djmike

34.7 here ine Beaumont according to my home weather station!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Snowman

already at 32 here in cypress :)
Mr. T

Rich wrote:I noticed that the NWS forecast for my area now has up to a tenth of an inch of ice along with snow forecasted for my area. Does it look like this may start out as sleet then transition to snow for the pearland area?
Perhaps so... There may be a warm nose to start that needs to be mixed out before the transition to all snow. Of course, we won't know the full details of this until thursday
djmike

Is it just me or is NWS still having site problems? I have not been able to get the "forecast at a glance" for many locations to show and the descriptions for each day are very vague... :oops:
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Mr. T

djmike wrote:Is it just me or is NWS still having site problems? I have not been able to get the "forecast at a glance" for many locations to show and the descriptions for each day are very vague... :oops:
Major server issues today... High traffic
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find it interesting that we are two days away from our first anniversary of the New Weather Forum and we have snow in the forecast. Things that make you go hmmm... :mrgreen:
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Models just indicate possibilites. Could be more or less snow across the Coast or far inland SE TX Verification will occur with the onset of the Winter event. Some areas of SE TX look to recieve a decent snow and to those who are fortunate enough to experience it I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.
randybpt

Andrew....pm me I am a man of my word. Double or nothing on measurable snow in Beaumont
vbhoutex

30.6f here. 29.5 @ the Weatherbug nearest to me.
southerngale

It's already 29° here (just west of Beaumont, along Hwy. 105), 30° at KFDM and it's even 33° down at the airport (BPT).
I noticed it was 31° here earlier, shortly after 4pm. We're going to be below freezing for a long time!

If you want to see some area temps, click on this link, then below the map, click on "Show a list of all stations within the KFDM coverage area" or just click on various dots on the map.

http://www.kfdm.com/sections/weather/instaweather/
TexasBreeze

If I had a snow machine like randybpt does I would fire that sucker up tonight to ensure snow in my yard! It would last till the weekend easily! :)
Baseballdude2915

Just got back from Lafayette. Left early AM, crossed the front on the way there AND back. Not fun.

My personal weather station recorded a wind gust of 48mph today while i was gone. Wow.

Currently
Temp: 34.7
Wind-Chill: 14.4.

Time to look at models and discussions. Gotta get caught up.
djmike

31.7 now here at my house in Beaumont! Yup, going to be below freezing for looong time!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
wxman666

Mr. T wrote:
djmike wrote:Is it just me or is NWS still having site problems? I have not been able to get the "forecast at a glance" for many locations to show and the descriptions for each day are very vague... :oops:
Major server issues today... High traffic
I've been encountering server issues for a few days now. It's getting very annoying.
Ready for severe weather season!!
wxman666

Just got through with some yard work...yes, I know I am crazy....edging/trimming hedges because I failed to do so yesterday. I never pictured myself doing yard work in a thick hoodie, gloves, ear muffs and a long sleeve shirt. That wind chill is biting! Surely it's approaching the teens in Cypress by now (wind chill wise). That wind seems to be getting stronger! Stay safe y'all. No doubt in my mind at this rate that ground temps will be cool enough to cause some problems.
Ready for severe weather season!!
michmich

Bear Creek - 28 with a wind chill of 17. BRRR!!!!
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Potentially a historic snow event in the making for SE TX. Models continue to trend wetter and while QPF is not all that int he GFS its moisture fields above the surface are for sure. Am starting to think the CMC is on the right track here and feel some impressive totals will be possible with meso scale banding. Could easily see 3-5 inches across the entire area with bands over 6-8 inches (my latest e-mail has a discussion of the thinking, if someone could post it). I could see someone getting a foot also, but who would forecast a foot of snow down here?

Interesting that the NAM wants to kick things off a bit earlier now on Thursday afternoon.

Suspect Watches will be hoisted tomorrow as we fall within 36 hours of the onset.
helloitsb

jeff wrote:Potentially a historic snow event in the making for SE TX. Models continue to trend wetter and while QPF is not all that int he GFS its moisture fields above the surface are for sure. Am starting to think the CMC is on the right track here and feel some impressive totals will be possible with meso scale banding. Could easily see 3-5 inches across the entire area with bands over 6-8 inches (my latest e-mail has a discussion of the thinking, if someone could post it). I could see someone getting a foot also, but who would forecast a foot of snow down here?

Interesting that the NAM wants to kick things off a bit earlier now on Thursday afternoon.

Suspect Watches will be hoisted tomorrow as we fall within 36 hours of the onset.
I've heard different things from multiple sources but do you think this will be more of a North or South of I-10 I know this has been discussed but I have heard conflicting things from TV websites and here, thank you for posting your insight on the forum :)
Mr. T

jeff wrote:Potentially a historic snow event in the making for SE TX. Models continue to trend wetter and while QPF is not all that int he GFS its moisture fields above the surface are for sure. Am starting to think the CMC is on the right track here and feel some impressive totals will be possible with meso scale banding. Could easily see 3-5 inches across the entire area with bands over 6-8 inches (my latest e-mail has a discussion of the thinking, if someone could post it). I could see someone getting a foot also, but who would forecast a foot of snow down here?

You're making my mouth water, Jeff
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

18Z GFS Ensembles...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information