February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
vbhoutex

Try it now. I had to edit it.
Rich

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: AggieBuckeye, Andrew, CAK, Candy Cane, Cuda17, Google [Bot], harpman, hlewis, Kludge, lyndie32, MSN [Bot], Paul, Poppa46, randybpt, Rich, rnmm, sambucol, snowman65, suprdav2, ticka1, tireman4, vbhoutex, weatherwave and 57 guests

This has to be near a record for number of people viewing the forum!
AggieBuckeye

I'm on here during potential winter or tropical weather.... and I stay on! :lol:
ticka1

Latest email from Jeff Lindner:

Very cold arctic air mass building into the region.

At 1100am temperatures have fallen to freezing already from Hempstead to Conroe. Already 29 in College Station with a wind chill of 15. Will need to adjust temperatures downward for this afternoon to reflect rapid onset of freezing/sub-freezing air mass. Upstream temperatures at 1100am are 19 at DFW, 12 at Wichita Falls, and 2 at Amarillo. May also need to adjust overnight lows downward a few degrees for tonight with teens a bit further south and near 20 along US 59.

Strong winds will continue into this evening with wind chills falling into the 1’s and low 10’s.

Winter Storm event looking likely Thursday night and Friday with significant comparisons to the historic 2004 Dec snow event for coastal TX. This system looks wetter and colder than that event if you can believe that! Not ready to bite on very high QPF totals being generated by the CMC, but believe the GFS is too dry with its 1-2 inches over the area. Still going with a widespread 1-3” of snow accumulation south of I-10 with 1-2” north of I-10. Totals may need to be raised greatly over the next 24 hours if the CMC appears to be correct or the GFS trends wetter.

With confidence building in a snow pack on the ground for Friday night will likely need to lower overnight temperatures into the upper 10’s/low 20’s for all areas as skies clear out.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vbhoutex wrote:Now at 32f at the weatherbug nearest to me with my thermometer reading 34.9f.
I pulled this off of a post on S2K. :o :o if it is correct!!(I think I am reading it correctly)
It is the HPC's experimental snowfall and freezing rain forecast for up to 72 hours. You can click on amounts or timeframes on the right side of page. Anyway check out what it show for friday....
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf_24hr/ ... obs_zr.php

Holy Mackrel.......
AggieBuckeye

How does one subscribe to Jeff's emails?
Rip76

I'm here too
:D

I would just ask Jeff if he will add you.

I think maybe Hurricane Ike set a record for number of viewers on here??
Cuda17

The temperature here in Bellville has gone up 3° in the past 45'??? We were at 30° and now we are at 33° Is that a glitch with the local met station?

It looks like temps are going up across the board... CLL up now too.
Last edited by Cuda17 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-jeff
vbhoutex

vbhoutex wrote:Now at 32f at the weatherbug nearest to me with my thermometer reading 34.9f.
I pulled this off of a post on S2K. :o :o if it is correct!!(I think I am reading it correctly)
It is the HPC's experimental snowfall and freezing rain forecast for up to 72 hours. You can click on amounts or timeframes on the right side of page. Anyway check out what it show for friday....
Not so freaked out now that I have looked at it closer.
Paul

Rip76 wrote:I'm here too
:D

I would just ask Jeff if he will add you.

I think maybe Hurricane Ike set a record for number of viewers on here??
Try Ike and Rita archives..... :D
vbhoutex

Cuda17 wrote:The temperature here in Bellville has gone up 3° in the past 45'??? We were at 30° and now we are at 33° Is that a glitch with the local met station?
It will continue to vary as we continue to cool due to slight warming by the sun on and off(did that make sense?). I am seeing the same thing here at my house. I don't think it is a glitch.
Paul

vbhoutex wrote:
Not so freaked out now that I have looked at it closer.

I beleive the HPC is taken that using the GFS as its basis? I seem to recall that...probably a blend of recent data and obvously not having the recent CMC run in it...
Cuda17

vbhoutex wrote:
Cuda17 wrote:The temperature here in Bellville has gone up 3° in the past 45'??? We were at 30° and now we are at 33° Is that a glitch with the local met station?
It will continue to vary as we continue to cool due to slight warming by the sun on and off(did that make sense?). I am seeing the same thing here at my house. I don't think it is a glitch.
Yep it makes sense... thanks! :D
-jeff
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Euro is a lot wetter.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
don

From txagwxman on storm2k "Euro 2-2.5" :)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep. Euro and UKMET both suggest snow for most, if not all of SE TX if they are correct.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:Yep. Euro and UKMET both suggest snow for most, if not all of SE TX if they are correct.

Euro showing temps a tad above freezing but specifics can't really be trusted at this time especially temp wise
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Mr. T

Andrew wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Yep. Euro and UKMET both suggest snow for most, if not all of SE TX if they are correct.

Euro showing temps a tad above freezing but specifics can't really be trusted at this time especially temp wise
Surface?
redneckweather

Before I started my p90x workout (pure torture) the mood on the board was getting a bit sour and a little over an hour later after workout, everyone is happy again!! :D Gotta love the tides this board takes sometimes.
unome

• Information