Freeze Preparation Suggestions

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is becoming very clear that a prolonged freezing weather event will unfold next week. This thread will be pinned (sticky) so folks can add their thoughts and questions regarding protecting people, pets, plants and property.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

From wxman57...
It would be a good idea to get any necessary materials now rather than late in the week or next week when there may be a run on such items. Many of us have exposed water pipes in the attic. You can buy rolls of insulation and make sure that the attic pipes are well-covered rather than exposed. If you can't cover them, then you can wrap them with an insulating material.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some stuff I saw on the Allstate website for pipes:

Prevent Your Pipes From Freezing

* Disconnect all gardening hoses and install covers on all outside faucets.
* Keep your house temperature at 68 degrees or higher, even if you're leaving the house for an extended period of time.
* Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow heat from the home to circulate.
* Identify the location of the main water valve and the valve on your water heater. (Learning the location of these valves may come in handy during an emergency.)
* Wrap pipes nearest exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape. This can prevent freezing, especially for interior pipes that run along outside walls.
* Close all windows near water pipes; cover or close open-air vents. Freezing temperatures combined with wind drafts can cause pipes to freeze more frequently.
* Heat your basement and consider weather sealing your windows.
* Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of your home.
* If you plan to be away from home for an extended period of time, shut off water supply valves to your washing machine.

Monitor Freezing Pipe Conditions

* Allow a faucet to drip slightly (lukewarm water) in order to minimize freezing.
* The first sign of freezing is reduced water flow from a faucet.
* Check your faucets for water flow and pressure before you go to sleep and again when you wake up.
* Check pipes around your water meter, in unheated areas, near exterior walls and in crawl spaces.
* These tend to be vulnerable to freezing conditions.
* Identify cold air drafts coming in from a flue or chimney chase and caulk gaps that are near pipes.

If a Pipe Freezes

* If a faucet or pipe inside your house freezes, you can thaw it using a good hair dryer. (For safety purposes, avoid operating a hair dryer around standing water.)
* To thaw a frozen pipe, heat water on the stove, soak towels in the hot water and wrap them around cold sections of the pipes.
* When thawing a pipe, start thawing it nearest to the faucet. Make sure the faucet is turned on so that melted water can drip out.

If a Pipe Bursts

* Shut off water at the main valve.
* If the break is in a hot water pipe, the valve on top of the water heater should be closed.
* Call a plumber. Keep an emergency number nearby for quick access.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
sambucol

Does anyone have any idea about when the freezing temps will arrive and stay for about how long? I'm trying to figure out when I will need to shut off the water to the house and drain the pipes. It'll be inconvenient, but it's the only certain way for the pipes not to burst.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

sambucol wrote:Does anyone have any idea about when the freezing temps will arrive and stay for about how long? I'm trying to figure out when I will need to shut off the water to the house and drain the pipes. It'll be inconvenient, but it's the only certain way for the pipes not to burst.

Too early to say at this point. We should know by Friday.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
wxman666

Hmmm....what sort of things will I need in a winter weather event? I am always prepared for a tornado, flood or hurricane but winter storm preparation is a little different I would imagine. How about my car...is there anything that will need to be done to it to prevent damage in the event of sub freezing temperatures or ice? Thinking ahead....in the event roads become hazardous to travel on, what sort of supplies shall I stock up on? Thanks.
Ready for severe weather season!!
wxman666

Oh I just thought of something! Forgive the double post. For anyone with an iPhone or iPad...or some sensitive piece of technology...they advise users to avoid exposure to extreme temperatures/weather. In the iPhone's case, along with most Apple mobile devices...it is considered unsafe to operate it in temperatures 32 degrees or lower, as this may damage your device. Perhaps it's not the first thing we think of, but you always want to make sure your electronics are well cared for...especially your smartphone as that may end up being your lifeline in an emergency. Perhaps securing it in a warm case or cloth if you must use it outside will help prevent direct exposure and prevent significant damage.
LegalEagle

I've been reading the threads about this cold snap and having grown up in Texas, I have learned not to believe anything until I feel it - at least that is what my mom says anyway. Can we really tell this far out that we are going to have such severe cold weather - reaching down into the teens possibly?
wxman666

LegalEagle wrote:I've been reading the threads about this cold snap and having grown up in Texas, I have learned not to believe anything until I feel it - at least that is what my mom says anyway. Can we really tell this far out that we are going to have such severe cold weather - reaching down into the teens possibly?
I have certainly experienced some winter weather living in TX. I've lived in Dallas and Houston and from those two experiences I'll tell you I've never quite felt such a biting cold like I have in Houston before. Sure the temperatures in the big D can get colder at times, but here in the Houston area...that humidity seems to make it a bit more stinging than I recall feeling in Dallas...even if temperatures are slightly warmer here. Another thing I've learned living here....never assume anything. I'd say maybe 20-30 years ago, people would've told you that you were nuts if you forecasted a chance of snow (though it did happen rarely). These days, it seems to be happening a bit more often. I watched it snow in Sugar Land in 2004, 2008 and 2009. December 2009 was the worst I remember. Many people will say that something "won't" happen, but all it takes is a quick look at statistics to understand what the reality may be. Always be prepared for severe weather of any type...no matter where you are. Weather is very unpredictable sometimes and is changing constantly.
txflagwaver

For plants, Christmas lights work great, especially the net type...put them around and over the plants then cover...but don't cover with plastic. The lights can be wrapped around outside pipes as wel...looks funny but it works!
  • Information