Travel to Sequoia, Week of March 8

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TxLady

Since it's so quiet in here, for the moment...I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on the weather for the week of March 8-12. Our plan is to spend one night in Tombstone, AZ then to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on Monday, March 8...then to Sequoia National Park on Tuesday. I know this is still a ways out...but, I'd appreciate any help :)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Looks like there are significant differences in the models for that period. GFS says great weather with high pressure overhead the 7th-11th. European says good for AZ early, but a big storm moving into southern CA the 7th-8th. Both models indicate weather not too bad for Tucson and the south rim of the Grand Canyon the 7th-8th. GFS indicates temps near Sequoia as lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 50s. A bit cooler near the Grand Canyon, though. So bring clothing similar to what you've been wearing in New Waverly the past month.

It's Sequoia that's "iffy". Check back later in the week.

GFS temps for Tucson look very similar to what we've been having in Houston. Generally lows above freezing and highs below 70:

TxLady

That sounds good, wxman! Thanks so much for the help! We've pretty much decided to skip Sequoia...It's really just too "iffy" this time of year. We will be traveling with a Corvette and a new Camaro, in the bunch, so snow chains and such are really out of the question. I've read that possession of chains is required to get inside the park, this time of year. We'll just make an adjustment to the itinerary, and save Sequoia for a summer trip. Again, Thanks for your help! :)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You're welcome. I did find a nice site with lots of info about Sequoia National Park, including weather info:

http://www.sequoia.national-park.com/weather.htm

Maybe a side trip to Vegas, then?
TxLady

Maybe a side trip to Vegas, then?
That's the new plan! My brother claims any time I get West of San Antonio, I end up in Vegas. And, darn it, looks like it might just happen again! ;)
  • Information