More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
brazoria_county22

got about a 30 minute sleet shower/rain n clute..but its stopped now nothing but very light drizzle
southpaw

Sleet (or frozen drizzle) coming down here in League City. You can hear it hit the tin awning and the concrete. I have 52 degrees on my thermometer. Bizarre stuff.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sleet in NW Harris County. And yes and all is fixed ~Sigh~
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
C2G

Sleet here in Friendswood. Nice to have something besides plain ole cold rain falling.
polisciaggie

Sleeting here in College Station
swmmom

Moderately heavy sleet with a few snowflakes in north Bryan.
ammmyjjj

sleet in cypress!!!!!!!!!!
DPD

Had pinhead sleet bouncing off my hood in Seabrook at the light 146 and red bluff. The thermometer in my truck said 46
ticka1

Hubby just called said it was sleeting alot at the house while he was walking the dog......
hlewis

I told yall it was sleeting! :P
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wxman57 wrote:Very small sleet pellets at Beltway 8 near I-45. About the size of a pin head (1-2mm or about 1/16" diameter). Soundings did indicate that the best chance for sleet here would be with the onset of precip before low-level warm advection sets in when the low develops. But we could see rain/sleet mixed tomorrow. Wouldn't rule out a snowflake, but don't look for any accumulations.

I concur with Wxman57....it is sleeting over here at Gulfgate.
dac

Sleeting in Tomball as well.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Here's the lower part of a vertical temperature profile (RUC 21Z) to show what's happening aloft. For those who can't read the chart, it shows snow falling from a height of 18,000 to 6000ft up. Below 6000 ft there is a warm layer which melts the snowflakes (they're delicate). Below about 3000 ft the raindrops (melted snow) hit a sub-freezing layer for a couple thousand feet. This freezes the raindrops into ice (sleet). The sleet falls through about 1000-2000 ft of above-freezing air, surviving to hit the ground. They're small because much of the sleet is melting off on the way down.

Now currently there is only a thin layer of above freezing temperatures aloft, with the exception of the very lowest layer that reaches the mid 40s. There's a slim chance that if the airmass modifies slightly between 3000-6000 ft and drops closer to freezing that a few snowflakes may make it to the ground, though somewhat melted. I think I MAY have seen 1-2 of these on my drive home, as the spot on my windshield looked more like slushy snow than sleet at least once.

Don't get your hope up (even slightly) that you'll awaken tomorrow to a snow-covered landscape. That airmass aloft should WARM overnight, reducing the chances for sleet or snow. It's cold rain for us tomorrow, but you still COULD see a trace of sleet tomorrow night.

Note: Heights on the chart are very approximate

tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thanks Wxman57. That was a great chart.
SusieinLP

Had some sleet briefly in LaPorte..Was bouncing off the windshield but it stopped
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look forward to seeing what the 00Z soundings show for tomorrow. Better yet the 12Z's tomorrow for Thursday night as the Upper Low approaches. HGX seems to think areas N and E of Montgomery County may see some accumulation on grassy surfaces.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the radar aficionados

KHGX HAS SWITCHED TO THE STRATIFORM WINTER ZR RELATIONSHIP...130 TO THE 2.0. AT
2030Z/FEB 9. KP
weatherag
Pro Met
Pro Met

I was looking at the nyc metro area and they are getting pounded right now.....coastal low bombing off the coast. What exactly is a trowal wxman57? Warm air wrapping into the low? I've heard this term a lot lately......
'There's a spirit can ne'er be told...'
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

srainhoutx wrote:Look forward to seeing what the 00Z soundings show for tomorrow. Better yet the 12Z's tomorrow for Thursday night as the Upper Low approaches. HGX seems to think areas N and E of Montgomery County may see some accumulation on grassy surfaces.
Houston/Trinity/Polk counties and NE may see some wet slushy snow early Friday morning...profile gets better N and E of our region...anything south of this will likely see no accumulation...could see some mixing of P-types along and N of a line from Hempstead to Conroe to N Liberty Co
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sleet downtown earlier...could not post from my Blackberry earlier.
  • Information