More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
redneckweather

I see that when wxman runs his maps, they are all off of GFS data. Why is that wxman? I hardly ever see you post data off of other models. I'm guessing you like the GFS a lot more than others this time of year?
Mr. T

don wrote:Hmm does make you wonder if we could possibly have anothe "suprise" snow event? similar to december 2008...
I'm not sure if surface temperatures will cool sufficiently to allow accumulation, or if the precipiation will be heavy enough, but I do think we stand a chance to see some snow tommorow night just as the precipiation ends and heads eastward.

This isn't really that much of a "suprise", as it is forecasters following an outlier model for whatever reason.
Mr. T

Update from HGX:

WILL BE ASSESSING THE CHC OF A POSSIBLE RA/SN/IP MIX ACROSS
THE NORTHERN 1/3 OF THE AREA LATE THU NIGHT AND INTO FRI MORNING
WITH THE AFT FCST PACKAGE. 33

I think the threat extends into the Metro area, but at least they are finally saying something.
Mr. T

San Marcos is now seeing a sleet and snow mix! Thanks for the heads up, Hannah Montana ;)
txsnowmaker

The 12z shows the freezing line clearing the Houston area for hours 114-168. Unfortunately, I don't see that there is precip indicated anywhere nearby, at least in this model and in this run. Anyone seeing indications from other models/sources that they could be off regarding chances for precip during this timeframe next week?
Mr. T

txsnowmaker wrote:The 12z shows the freezing line clearing the Houston area for hours 114-168. Unfortunately, I don't see that there is precip indicated anywhere nearby, at least in this model and in this run. Anyone seeing indications from other models/sources that they could be off regarding chances for precip during this timeframe next week?
It will be a dry, but cold, northerly flow during that time. The main focus for wintry precip around here will be tommorow evening through friday morning.
txsnowmaker

Mr. T wrote:
txsnowmaker wrote:The 12z shows the freezing line clearing the Houston area for hours 114-168. Unfortunately, I don't see that there is precip indicated anywhere nearby, at least in this model and in this run. Anyone seeing indications from other models/sources that they could be off regarding chances for precip during this timeframe next week?
It will be a dry, but cold, northerly flow during that time. The main focus for wintry precip around here will be tommorow evening through friday morning.

Thanks, Mr T. Will refocus on this week and hope for some flakes around here in the next day or two.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

(With help from the files of Wxman57)

Come on Houston Snow. Just roll one for a Houston Snow!!!
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sleet being reported at NWS in New Braunfels and northern sections of San Antonio
swmmom

I think this forum is excellent and wanted to say thank you to all that in put, especially the promets.

I want snow!!!! I live in the northern part or Bryan, Texas (Hearn is about 15 miles northwest to us). Do we have any chance of seeing anything measureable about of this storm? Maybe a snow chant or dance would help?!!!!! Any input any of you have would be awsome as the anticipation is about to kill me.

Swimmom to future 2016 Olympian
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Got a PM from srainhou that he's apparently locked out of this forum. They're working to get him back in.
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:Got a PM from srainhou that he's apparently locked out of this forum. They're working to get him back in.
He can't even access the site, which is leading me to believe it may be a virus or DNS problem for him. I'm heading to his house this afternoon with my IT briefcase to get him back on line. That's why the post from Christine Di Stadio if anyone else was having issues..
sleetstorm

I thought that people in southeast Texas could have a chance at seeing some sleet or snow mixed in with the rain from this evening until roughly noon tomorrow and then form tomorrow evening until roughly noon friday, Mr. T?
kayci

wxman57 wrote:Got a PM from srainhou that he's apparently locked out of this forum. They're working to get him back in.

??? Isn't he a moderator???? What Th???
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I am quoting from another board ( I hope that is ok) from another Pro Met:

txagwxman wrote:

Going to snow Dallas...no question about that...
No snow Houston.
Snow College Station thu night/fri morning possible and into Lufkin/Tyler/Longview/Shreveport.
biggerbyte

Have him try google dns - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Also, run the flushdns command. I would also suggest spybot search and destroy, along with Eset nod32 antivirus.
Other than that, if there are many folks having trouble with this site, then I would suggest that srain's computer is fine.
hlewis

tiny sleet in Wharton County!!!!!!!!!
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

biggerbyte wrote:Have him try google dns - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Also, run the flushdns command. I would also suggest spybot search and destroy, along with Eset nod32 antivirus.
Other than that, if there are many folks having trouble with this site, then I would suggest that srain's computer is fine.
'cuse the off subject, but I had him try the flushdns yesterday. Even had him change his DNS setting to OpenDNS to no avail. I'm taking my laptop to plug into his Uverse RG. That will tell me something right away.
Portastorm

Light sleet starting to fall here in downtown Austin. As Sgt. Schulz used to say on "Hogan's Heroes": "I saw it with my own two eyes!"
vbhoutex

Where's Lucy? :mrgreen: S2K is down right now. Hope to have it back up ASAP!!
Sleet reports coming in from SW of Houston also. I've seen the discussions, etc. I'm still wondering if we're in for a surprise here and to our North and West.
  • Information