July 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
user:null

jasons2k wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:55 pmGainesville is a beautiful place with an amazing climate, no doubt about that. I’d trade that for our climate in a heartbeat!!
My only problem with Gainsville goes back to the issue you mentioned, regarding the "frost line." It still is USDA hardiness 9A just like Houston, so won't have the coconuts like zone 10+. Nor deeper equatorial plants like zone 11 and 12.

But I definitely agree to choosing Gainsville over here, if a 2011 drought repeat does verify — but if summer here turns around with rainfall, then there will be more fence sitting.

As for the palmettos @DoctorMu mentioned, those are the only species of tall palms that would have been bulletproof through the Feb 2021 freeze event. Or at least just cosmetic foliage damage. Not only the carolina palmettos that occur in FL/SE US, but also the mexicana that occurs in the RGV.

Of the tall exotics, dates (both canary and true dates) seem to have fared better than washingtonia robusta from what I see. Interesting considering the latter is often the most used palm for landscaping in the Houston area. Not sure about pindos, Med fan palms, etc regarding their max height.
jasons2k

All of the Phoenix dactylifera at Portofino in Shenandoah got completely decimated last year. Every single one - gone. The mexican fan palms were hit or miss, but most up here lived. Queens were wiped out. Pindos and mule palms did fine. Most canaries are fine but a small few of them got knocked out - probably the sickly ones.

Surprisingly, it was about the same up here as it was down into south Houston. It was that wind that evened it out.
jasons2k

To keep in the archives:

The Woodlands Township has announced that the fireworks show at Rob Fleming Park has been canceled due to rough conditions and a south wind.

The Township issued the following statement:

“Due to drought conditions and unfavorable south winds, The Woodlands Township’s fireworks show has been cancelled at the Rob Fleming Park location, 6055 Creekside Forest Drive, in the Village of Creekside Park. In addition, the Red, Hot and Blue Festival at Rob Fleming Park will conclude at 8 p.m. to allow community members to have time to travel to the other show locations.

The four other viewing locations at Waterway Square, Town Green Park, Hughes Landing and Northshore Park are expected to continue at this time. Multiple viewing locations are available along The Woodlands Waterway.

The Woodlands Township has been monitoring wind and drought conditions very diligently. This show location resides in an area nearer to a higher density of forest than the other shows being produced by the Township.

“The winds from the south are at higher than desired levels and pose a threat to safety in this area,” said Fire Chief Palmer Buck, noting that much of the nearby area is the George Mitchell Nature Preserve.”
——————
Incident Type: Other – Not Specified
Incident Location: 6055 Creekside Forest Drive
Stratton20

Im not getting my hopes up yet, but the 00z GFS is hinting at a return to a “wetter” pattern next week, fingers crossed🤞🤞🤞
captainbarbossa19

Well this is not good. The forecast was very good from July 2020.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dmorris9661/ ... 92/photo/1
Stratton20

captainbarbossa19 yikes that 2022 forecast definitely raises a red flag for sure

Honestly, I would rather have another Allison, Harvey, or Imelda than either this drought or the 2021 freeze. That's how much I dislike droughts and freezes.
Stratton20

I hate droughts as well, but I definitely wouldnt want another Alison or Harvey, rain would be welcomed but not 40 inches of rain all in a few days😆😬
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:50 pm I hate droughts as well, but I definitely wouldnt want another Alison or Harvey, rain would be welcomed but not 40 inches of rain all in a few days😆😬
Give me about 10 inches spread out over a two week period and I’ll be a happy camper lol in a perfect world, right? Now for freezes I’m perfectly fine with those. Droughts are the worst imo. Tremendously boring! Nothing to look forward to.
Cpv17

Well maybe there’s hope..

Stratton20

Cpv17 they must be going with the operational GFS, it has been showing a potential change to a “wetter”pattern next week, figners crossed🤞🤞🤞
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:52 pm All of the Phoenix dactylifera at Portofino in Shenandoah got completely decimated last year. Every single one - gone. The mexican fan palms were hit or miss, but most up here lived. Queens were wiped out. Pindos and mule palms did fine. Most canaries are fine but a small few of them got knocked out - probably the sickly ones.

Surprisingly, it was about the same up here as it was down into south Houston. It was that wind that evened it out.
I can't even grow gardenias, azaleas up here in CLL

I agree with Stratton. The 18z GFS run is the best so far today. Relief could come as soon as this Wednesday/Thursday with a subtle inverted trough, for those that are lucky. Otherwise, the next week looks promising on that run, with another tropical influx, followed by what seems to be a backdooring front.

The silver-lining is that, as bad as heat is, it doesn't cause near as much damage to vegetation/ecosystems as freezing weather does. In fact, nothing happens provided that there is ample water supply — and even with hot, rainless summers, you still have the loads of crops seen in California's Central Valley.

Now contrast that with 2021 type freeze, where the entire landscape goes brown with damage just from the few days of cold. Even native live oaks were killed in North Texas, their trunks literally cracked and split. Even the light 30-32°F morning lows is enough to brown everything with dormancy, let alone the major events.
jasons2k

user:null wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:37 pm I agree with Stratton. The 18z GFS run is the best so far today. Relief could come as soon as this Wednesday/Thursday with a subtle inverted trough, for those that are lucky. Otherwise, the next week looks promising on that run, with another tropical influx, followed by what seems to be a backdooring front.

The silver-lining is that, as bad as heat is, it doesn't cause near as much damage to vegetation/ecosystems as freezing weather does. In fact, nothing happens provided that there is ample water supply — and even with hot, rainless summers, you still have the loads of crops seen in California's Central Valley.

Now contrast that with 2021 type freeze, where the entire landscape goes brown with damage just from the few days of cold. Even native live oaks were killed in North Texas, their trunks literally cracked and split. Even the light 30-32°F morning lows is enough to brown everything with dormancy, let alone the major events.
Different story for the residents of Bastrop who lost everything in 2011.
don

Yep there were wild fires galore that year, the pine forest around Bastrop was nearly completely burn downed.Even portions of Montgomery county had some wild fires that destroyed some of the pine forest.
jasons2k

Today’s incoming shortwave looks good. Fingers crossed.
javakah

Sure feels like every day there's scattered showers in western Louisiana just sitting there taunting us.
jasons2k

TWC app keeps going up.
Yesterday it showed 30% for today
This morning it showed 40%
About an hour ago up to 50%
Now it shows 70% this afternoon
We’ll see….
Stratton20

All models are now on board that the ridge will back off to the west and allow a back door front to move in next week and stall out, leading to daily appreciable rain chances! Looks like a pattern change is coming!
cperk

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:54 am All models are now on board that the ridge will back off to the west and allow a back door front to move in next week and stall out, leading to daily appreciable rain chances! Looks like a pattern change is coming!
I'm not falling for it,i'll believe it when i see it falling from the sky. :)
  • Information