wxdata Dan Meador 1951-2010

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
LylaB

I am shocked and saddened...Here is someone I never met in person but through the weather reports and the weather forum I felt like he was part of my family. His knowledge and expertise was so underrated in the humble man that he was. His humor and wit was not to be contended. He was and IS such an influence to so many people - I feel proud to have been a part of his world. Rest in peace Dan and to you family as well.
ssw

This came as quite a shock to me. I have not been member of the Weather Forum but I had missed Dan on the news. So very sorry he had to fight this battle and my prayers are with his family and former co-workers. Definitely a loss to the community.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anybody remember AZ? :lol: Folks Dan loved to joke on the forum. I don't know how many times I sat behind this screen and spit coffee or just had a chuckle. He would love to be remembered for the good times. Tonight is our time.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
cisa

This totally breaks my heart. I have been a total weather bug for most of my 51 yrs and when I found this site several years ago, I was so thrilled to be able to discuss storms and things with people who loved weather as much as I did. But sometimes I would feel like I was in over my head as I had no formal education other than observation and life experience. Dan had a way of making me feel comfortable asking question w/o feeling dumb. When we would have a storm watch and the board would get super busy, his posts would be among the ones I would first look for because he never over or under hyped the situation. He was a true "weather man". My condolences to his family and friend. This forum will miss his humor, knowledge and warmth. RIP Dan. We'll miss you.
No rain, no rainbows.
kb8wau

What a sad sad night. While I only new Dan through this forum it seemed like I new him personally. He always had answers for everyones questions no matter how trivial. He even put photos I took on the weather broadcast a few years ago. Im glad I recorded that broadcast now. I will have something to remember him by. RIP Dan you will be missed by many.
djjordan

Was just looking through some of Dan's posts ..... He was with us right up til the end. Godspeed Dan .... I know your wisdom and kindness has touched us all on the forum and we will never forget you. Now you can really use your weather powers!!!! :)

RIP my friend!!!!!! :cry: :cry:
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
Grigori939

The news of his passing is very saddening to me. While I was recovering from lung surgery, he and I chatted quite a bit and it was wonderful to have a friend like him. I will miss him very much, and send my condolences to his family and his friends. He made a very sick guy very happy, and I will always remember him for that.
PCHoustonGuyz

To Dan Meador & family,
I'm shocked & surprised to hear that Mr.Meador passed away while fighting against a terrrible disase! He was a fantastic weatherman, and he will always be remembered as a weatherman who smiled, and gave a grey forecast with alot of sunshine! My sincere thoughts & prayers go out to the Channel 11 Weather team and to Dan Meador's family! He will be missed!

May God Speed, Mr. Dan Meador!
perk

Channel 11 showed some film on Dan last night and reminded me of that smile,for years Dan came into my home via his forecast and more recently this forum. Again i'm truly saddened at his passing.
C2G

Very sorry to hear of Dan's passing. I always enjoyed watching his weather segments on KHOU because I believed him to be enthusiastic about the weather.
He was also very active on this site, something I appreciated greatly.
The ole fly in the ointment, is a phrase I swear he coined around these parts.
We'll miss ya Dan.
To his family and close friends my deepest heartfelt condolences go out.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

At this point I am pretty much speechless and saddened to have lost such as great friend as Dan. From the beginning when I joined this forum he was a great mentor and friend who taught me many of the weather things I now know. He truly was a great person who would never pass up a chance to help someone in need. Dan was and still is such an inspiration to me, and many including myself strive to be a better person because of Dan. It was Dan who helped make this forum what it is today and his fingerprints are all over it. I can't count how many times Dan would post countless updates from the NWS to update individuals on this forum what was going on in the weather today. I know many remember Dan's old weather posts where he would update the community on what the weather was going to be like for that day and week. It is up to us now to try and continue what he has started and make this forum the best it can be. It is not often that you meet someone as caring, intelligent, and kind as Dan and that is why it is important to not mourn his death but too cherish the memories because it is not often that you will meet someone as unique as Dan.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
cajun

Nothing personal to any ProMets out there, but just as there's a big difference between being a Father and being a Daddy, there's also a big difference between being a Meteorologist and being a Weatherman. Dan Meador was a true WeatherMAN, and that was obvious to everyone who knew, or knew of him. Never met him personally, but that love for the weather came across on screen, and behind the keyboard too!!

I know I remember watching him do weather on a TV station back in Louisiana long ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one it was - any ideas?

On a lighter note, a Google search DID reveal someone's encounter with Dan on a Halloween long ago in Houston, with Dan dressed in a Star Trek uniform for the evening!!!!

Rest easy, my good man......
Portastorm

My relationship with Dan was strictly through this forum as I wasn't blessed to see Dan do his gig on TV ... although I'm sure we could have used someone of his caliber here in Austin! Nevertheless, I respected and appreciated all of his hard work (along with Steve) to get this forum up and going and then to transition it to its current great status. I also appreciated his passion for weather and his constant efforts at keeping us updated.

My prayer has been that his passing was peaceful and as pain-free as possible and now I pray for comfort for his family and a thanks to the Almighty for making someone like Dan.

Dan, I'm thinking you now have sunny skies, mild temps, and a nice breeze to enjoy. We will miss you!
Stephm

On Storm2k I've heard an awful lot about Dan. I am so sorry for his loss for all of you and his family. He truly enjoyed what he did and he obviously meant a lot and affected so many people
vbhoutex

wxman666 wrote:It's hard for me to believe he has passed. I remember him very well as a wonderful moderator of this weather board. I also remember a few of his forecasts. He and Dr. Frank were two of my favorite meteorologists down here in Houston. This has been a rough day, and now I'm just in shock. My condolences to his family as well as the KHOU Weather Team. I know it sounds strange, but it's almost like you've lost someone you knew as a close and personal friend.
No this doesn't sound strange. I never met Dan personally, but feel the same way. As Tireman4 said-"It hurts". I was blessed to have quite a bit of interaction with him while he was active at STORM2K and I will cherish those times.
kayci

It has been a pleasure and even more so an honor to have known Dan for the past 8 years on this forum. I will miss him very much and I hope his family gets through this with as much ease as possible. My prayers to Dan Meador, his entire family and last but never least his close friends and co-workers. :cry:
nairbecaps

A good guy...RIP Dan
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have known Dan since the mid 1980’s. Dan Meador was a class act and the most gracious man you would ever want to meet. Dan always took the time to speak to folks, no matter the setting and was easy to approach. I was one of the lucky folks that knew and interacted with him on a personal level. When Dan started asking me if I would help out on the Forum as a Moderator, I fought. I would tell him I did not want to be the ‘internet police’. I will never forget the morning I woke up as Ike was entering the Gulf and logged in to the Weather Forum as usual and was greeted to a Welcome Topic from ticka1 concerning a new Moderator. It was me! I almost spit my coffee on the keyboard. I recall the e-mail that came from Dan later that day titled Opps! He always had a plan, but sometimes forgot to let you know. It has been an honor and a privilege to be able to call Dan my friend for so many years. In all the months leading up to these events, we shared, cried and planned. I am a better man for knowing Dan Meador. As I told him yesterday, I love you and thank you for sharing your life with us.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Former-1 ... 96894.html
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
desiredwxgd

My heart is so saddened this morning with the news of Dan’s passing. Like many of us I’m sure, I grew up watching him on 11. In fact one of the funniest memories I have is one time Dan was on air and a bulb from one of the lights blew and if you have ever had the pleasure of working with those types of instruments (lighting) you will know they are really loud when they pop. He must have jumped 3 feet but like a pro laughed it off and continued. I’ll miss you Dan.
JMS
SR. ENSC.
lorak

Wow

I read this news on the main khou.com site and was _Determined_ to get past the 'confirmation letters' to get access for this board.. I have been trying off and on for months to get past the registration page..

Dan's passing totally caught me off guard. I had no idea.. I am very saddened that something like this could happen out of the blue to someone so good.. He helped give out a lot of ideas to help protect ourselves from severe weather as well as generously gave his time to everyone in the industry and school projects.. He was an amazing person..
  • Information